Idea for Figure Evolutions

CoruscantCosta

Ewok Cheif
I was just thinking it might be a good idea to post all of the stuff related to that one figure in with the figure evolutions. Like the 12" figures, their ships and anything else directly related to the figure. I dont know how Barada and Ishi Tib feel about this but I think it is an ok idea.

Thanks

CC

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
We are currently working on an idea that may address part of your suggestion. I don't want to go into very much detail because the project is fairly early in its development. It will make different area of the website much more closely related and will change the way the figure evolution is presented.

However, what I think you're really asking for is for 12"ers to be included with the basic figures in the evolution. I don't believe Barada and Ishi ever intended to go beyond the scope of 3 3/4 figures in the evolution area. But I'll let them answer that part...

Barada

Saboteur
The basic idea of the Evolution section was to show how Kenner has taken a specific character, and changed the way it has presented it as an action figure from its first appearance to its latest.

With a thorough review of each different character, I hope to show if Hasbro continues to improve as it goes along (such as Chewbacca), if it is just a money-grabbing/cost-saving rehash game (TIE Pilot), or if they peaked midway through the characters' releases (Darth Vader).

It also shows how much new technology has helped with such things as character likeness and pose, especially concerning ones that started with a vintage figure. However, sometimes even here there is little difference. Take for example IG-88, whose vintage version and latest POTJ version are incredibly close in sculpt, and I think many would argue the original was better in this case.

I feel the section is of more use with characters with multiple releases, such as Luke Skywalker, as it dissects the minute changes between two figures that would at first glance appear to be a simple rerelease. An added belt here, new paint deco there, and we have a new figure.

What I'd like to do one day, if I had more time, would be to add links directly to each individual figure within the review, to add detailed up close shots of a figure from the front and back, with the collage remaining at the top of the page.

While the 12" lines and vehicles are an important part of a character's run as a toy, they really don't fit into this scheme. One day, I may decide to do a Vehicle Evolution, or one with the 12" line, but both of these are not really worthwhile. There are very few 12" figures that have seen different releases of the same character in the same outfit, even if you include vintage. The vast majority of the vehicles are direct resculpts of the vintage line with new paint jobs or stickers. The only real sculpting changes seen with vehicles are seen with the X-Wing, Vader TIE, and Landspeeder. There are others, but the changes are so insignificant, an entire section devoted to them would be overkill.

Having said all that, thanks for the idea CoruscantCosta. I appreciate the input. Any other suggestions, feel free to ask.

Barada

CoruscantCosta

Ewok Cheif
Ok. I get it. I do see now that there are not as many differences between the old and the new, and there have not been as many of them to put into the section. Thanks for writing that big post barada.

And I can't wait to see what you are working on for all of these figures.

Thanks