How often do you watch?

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I have a confession to make.

I expect to get some "smacked with a fish" icons in response.

I watched The Empire Strikes Back tonight for the first time in like, three years. Well, technically a friend had it on tv when we were doing something else, but that doens't really count.

I kinda got out of watching VHS, even before I got a dvd player (last year). But, I wanted to watch it on my surround sound, despite the VHS hiss. It's amazing all the new things you pick up and the other things you'd forgotten.

So, has anyone else not watched the OT in a while?

:smack:

I bring it on business trips and watch it in my hotel rooms. It gives me a feeling of comfort.

Sometimes I pick a lazy afternoon and watch one of ythe movies with my middle son. He's a nut also.;)

dustrho

S.C.A.L.P. Wpns Supplier
I usually try to watch all of them at least once a month. Sometimes when I watch it I will pay attention to the 'non-important' aspects of the movie, like what might be happening in the background. Or, I'll look at the characters who don't play big roles in the films. It's such an awesome trilogy of movies to watch, but is even better to watch and study how well the movies have been made with very little technology at all.

aceface

Junior Spy
I think it's been about a year for me.

I used to watch them every year on my birthday, but I have sorta slipped with that tradition in the last few years. Beyond that, I probably watched them 8-10 times a year, but that too has slipped.

I think part of the problem is that I've seen them so many times I have a) lost count, b) stopped counting, and c) memorized them to the point that my mind (and body) will start to wander as I'm watching them. Before I know it, I'm off doing something else and the films are background music.

The other problem is that I don't actually own the tapes. I have crappy copies from cable in which the films are pan 'n scan and edited for time. Those two qualities really kill the experience for me.

Like most of you, I'm really looking forward to the DVD's, but I'm NOT at all looking forward to only having the "special editions." They simply are not the same films that made history (as well as shaped my memories and my childhood).

Deathstar

Visit vacation paradise!
Originally posted by dustrho
I usually try to watch all of them at least once a month. Sometimes when I watch it I will pay attention to the 'non-important' aspects of the movie, like what might be happening in the background. Or, I'll look at the characters who don't play big roles in the films. It's such an awesome trilogy of movies to watch, but is even better to watch and study how well the movies have been made with very little technology at all.

Dust- I think all of what you are doing is a normal reaction from viewing the films too many times. I find myself doing the same thing and also playing the role as Director of the film and coaching the actors to speak their lines in a different way.

dustrho

S.C.A.L.P. Wpns Supplier
Originally posted by aceface
Like most of you, I'm really looking forward to the DVD's, but I'm NOT at all looking forward to only having the "special editions." They simply are not the same films that made history (as well as shaped my memories and my childhood).

I'm in agreeance with you ace. I am reallying hoping George Lucas changes his mind and offers these DVDs in the original format and not Special Edition. I did like the Special Editions to an extent, but granted there were several changes that just sucked and those outweighed the good changes. The best part of the Special Editions is the overall look, from cleaning up the film and audio.

aceface

Junior Spy
Originally posted by dustrho
I'm in agreeance with you ace. I am reallying hoping George Lucas changes his mind and offers these DVDs in the original format and not Special Edition.
Well, it's funny. It's my understanding that the first one, A NEW HOPE, is owned by 20th Century Fox and NOT Lucasfilm. But maybe I'm mistaken.

I did like the Special Editions to an extent, but granted there were several changes that just sucked and those outweighed the good changes.
Agreed. I didn't like the new song & dance number in JEDI and I hate the change that makes Greedo shoot first. I think it weakens the Han character. The great thing about Han is that when you first meet him, he's completely self-centered and only looks out for himself. By the end of the triology he has changed and looks out for others as well (Luke, Leia, the Rebellion, etc.). Having Greedo shoot first not only looks awkward, it also weakens Han's transformation.

The best part of the Special Editions is the overall look, from cleaning up the film and audio.
Yep. If more changes are to be made, I would hope that they are along this line. There are a number of "clean ups" that didn't happen such as Vader's red eye and the Emperor's "slugs" that should be easy enough for ILM to fix. While they are at it, maybe they could redo the SE Jabba (from ANH).

It's a shame that both the original & SE versions of the film won't be present - at least on this fall's DVD's. There is a real opportunity lost there.

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
Its been about a couple of weeks for me since i've seen them last (OT) but before that, about 3-4 months since then.....just trying to compete with the daughter using the big TV ;)

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Originally posted by Barada
Well, you asked for it, Skell.

Thanks Barada (and Chris) :p

You know, I've always enjoyed the other aspects of dvds. Like staying up to 4am at your friends dorm watching E1 in Spanish, adn MST3K-ing it. :D

I also watched AOTC in French, with the color on my tv set to B&W. (Killed two birds with one stone). Since SW is partially inspired by the old Flash Gordon serials, I was curious as to how well the retro feel and retro look came across in B&W. With it in French (which I don't know), I was forced to look at the movie for all the details.

Which brings up another interesting idea-a B&W silent movie edit. I just watched the old 1925 Phantom of the Opera last night, so I have silent movies on the brain. A silent edit, complete dialogue screens, and even as edited John WIlliams accompaniment would be intriguing. It'd be a pain to do, but I'd watch it.

Well, enough rambling. :p

Nightwing

New Recruit
can't remember the last time I watched them...

I still have the ORIGINAL original trilogy along with spaceballs on a tape somewhere...