Hall of Fame figs - differences?

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I've been ignoring the Hall of Fame figures that are showing up on Saga Gold cards, as I already have the original versions. Well, I finally saw them at TRU last weekend, and was wondering what, if any differences there actually are between the new and old.

My main question is R2--is this new? I don't remember a previous version exactly like that.

I believe the Luke comes with a saga-style lightsaber that's been used before.

Anyone who collects carded (or loose) care to detail what the real differences or (lack there of) are?

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
well ... these figures are going to tick me off. first they release them wit big bubbles and now they are releasing them again with smaller bubbles and the card backs are different as well as the insert.

I haven't taken them and carefully gone over each detail against the older versions, but what was obvious to me on the ones that i have is this ...

Han - no changes
Leia - no changes
R2-D2 - this is the POTj R2 w/o the dirt or whatever the black scuffs were (also the silver r2)
C-3PO - Flashback 3po with a silver leg
Obi-Wan - no changes
Yoda - No changes

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Cool. The 3PO looked like the Millennium Minted Coin one to me, with no changes. I thought the Flashback 3PO was dirty and had the removable arm?

Lets see, R2 was Escape from Naboo or something like that. That's why I couldn't place it. So technically, R2 is different (clean). Decisions decisions :p

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
I bought The Vader and Stormtrooper but i'll pass on the others. Just another way of Hasbro to get you to part with your dollars......

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
unless i'm mistaken, 3po is just a "clean" version of the flashback 3po. at the moment, i olnly have the one and i haven't opened him. It does not look like the arm is removable and of course the right leg is silver.

here's a pic........

Attachments

• 041004.3po.jpg
    041004.3po.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 241

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Yeah..that does look kinda like a flashback 3PO. When I saw it in the store, it was so shiny I assumed it was the MM Coin version. I was in a hurry too. *sigh*

aceface

Junior Spy
There is a pretty good summary of the Hall of Fame figures here. I'm sorry that it's at another site. I hope no one takes offense. :)

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Thanks Aceface :)

It would appear C-3PO is the MM Coin version, although looking at one of my cardbacks, everything starts to make sense.

The 2003 Hall of Fame figures included a Tatooine Ambush C-3PO (that was a reissue of the Flashback figure)

The new 2004 Hall of Fame figures hitting stores now feature a Death Star Escape C-3PO, which is the shiny Millennium Minted Coin version.

---correct me if I'm wrong--- ;)

So, it looks like R2 is the only "new" figure, while the others at best feature slightly sharper paint jobs, or alternate weapons that are readily available.
Of note, though, is that several of these figures were difficult to obtain at the time of their original release, and are excellent figures (Vader, Stormtrooper) :D

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
aceface said:
There is a pretty good summary of the Hall of Fame figures here. I'm sorry that it's at another site. I hope no one takes offense. :)

That's why i don't do figure reviews

aceface

Junior Spy
darthskelington said:
So, it looks like R2 is the only "new" figure, while the others at best feature slightly sharper paint jobs...
Actually, I think R2 is just the POTJ "Naboo Escape" R2 minus the blastmarks.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Right. I ment "new" in the sense that it's the only one that is visibly different from its original version. :D Different enough to make a completist like me consider the merits of actually buying one :p

JediDaxter

Am I lovable? Hope so.
Here's some info on the Hall Of Fame figure assortments.

Tha Han Solo, Princess Leia, and the Luke are all the late 2003 rehashes. Princess Leia's title was changed from Imperial Capture to Death Star Capture.
The C-3PO is the POTF2 Freeze Frame version with removable limbs (no cargo net). The Stormtrooper is the POTF2 CommTech Chip, the Anakin, Obi-Wan and Yoda are the 2002 AOTC Saga, still the same as the firsts. The Darth Vader and the Darth Maul are rehashes of the hard to find POTJ Masters of the Dark Side 2 pack. They were later rehased in the late 2003 lineup. Ony the insert has changed for the Darth Vader. The first 03 was a pic from ANH. The HOF pic is the same one used for the 03 Darth Vader Throne Room Duel. The R2-D2 is the POTJ Naboo Escape, just not dirty this time around. The Flash Back Photo rehash C-3PO is the late 2003 Tatooine Attack figure.
I have some interesting news on the bases that I will be putting into a new thread.