George Lucas: Indiana Jones 5 possible

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
From ComingSoon.net ...

George Lucas on a Fifth Indiana Jones
Fox News' Roger Friedman caught up with George Lucas at the Cannes Film Festival who revealed there's more than a strong possibility there will be a fifth "Indiana Jones" movie.

He says that he and director Steven Spielberg have left the door open for a sequel to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

"I haven't even told Steven or Harrison this," he told Friedman. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LaBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out.

Go here for more of the interview!

Well ... that was blindingly obvious from the start of Indy 4. :)

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
It's not really "Indiana Jones 5" if Indy isn't the star.
It's really "Mutt 1" (I think that's the character's name) or at a stretch maybe "Indiana Jones: The Next Generation".

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
A new news item as bee posted on ComingSoon.net, but it's basically the same - George Lucas saying there might be another Indy movie if they can all agree on the story.

George Lucas on a Fifth Indiana Jones
With Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull having earned a massive $743.7 million worldwide (#27 on the all-time worldwide list), The Sunday Times asked George Lucas if he, Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford would be up for a fifth film:
"We were hoping for box-office figures like that, which is, ultimately, with inflation, what the others have done, within 10%," Lucas explains. "So, we squeaked up there. Really, though, it was a challenge getting the story together and getting everybody to agree on it. Indiana Jones only becomes complicated when you have another two people saying 'I want it this way' and 'I want it that way', whereas, when I first did Jones, I just said, 'We'll do it this way' — and that was much easier. But now I have to accommodate everybody, because they are all big, successful guys, too, so it's a little hard on a practical level.

"If I can come up with another idea that they like, we'll do another. Really, with the last one, Steven wasn't that enthusiastic. I was trying to persuade him. But now Steve is more amenable to doing another one. Yet we still have the issues about the direction we'd like to take. I'm in the future; Steven's in the past. He's trying to drag it back to the way they were, I'm trying to push it to a whole different place. So, still we have a sort of tension. This recent one came out of that. It's kind of a hybrid of our own two ideas, so we'll see where we are able to take the next one."​
One suggestion? A shorter title! Check out the full interview at The Sunday Times.

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER
Did anyone hear that Shia got in a bad wreck for DUI AGAIN and had to have his left hand operated on cause it got smashed!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

RYAN-J

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I don't know about a crash, but I did read a headline in the last few days that he was arrested again. Sounds like another young celebrity flushing themselves down the toilet. :(

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
It looks like George Lucas has changed his mind about "Young Indy", possibly because of Shia's reckless behaviour.

This is from MoviesBlog at MTV.com ...

'Indiana Jones 5’ Won’t Center on Shia LaBeouf, Insists George Lucas
This past May, two weeks before “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” opened worldwide, George Lucas told reporters at the Cannes Film Festival that he already had an idea for a possible “Indiana Jones V,” and that it centered, not on Dr. Henry Jones, but on his son, Mutt Williams (Shia LaBeouf).

Three knife-flipping, tree-swinging, accident having months later and that idea? It’s kind of, well, “Nuked the Fridge,” Lucas told MTV News.

Asked whether he still considered Mutt Williams a strong enough character to drive an “Indiana Jones” film, Lucas was adamant that Indy just isn’t Indy without Indy. Or, to put it another way: No.

“Indiana Jones is Indiana Jones. Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones,” Lucas said, dismissively adding about a character he helped create that, “If it was Mutt Williams it would be ‘Mutt Williams and the Search for Elvis’ or something.”

It’s unclear what changed Lucas’s mind about the character, or whether he would necessarily return at all – even in a sidekick capacity. That said, “The Search for Elvis” is hilarious.

Of course, talk of an eventual “Indiana Jones V” is something of a giant hypothetical anyway, even as Lucas continued to stroke the fire of anticipation at his Big Rock Ranch near San Francisco, insisting that work IS being done to find a suitable object for another installment.

“We ARE looking for something for him to go after,” Lucas said. “They are very hard to find. It’s like archeology. It takes a huge amount of research to come up with something that will fit.”

So let’s give Lucas some ideas. The Fountain of Youth? The Rod of Moses? The Quest for Atlantis? What would you like to see Indy search for in a Part V? And would you want Mutt Williams to be a part of that journey? Sound off below.

Stevetrooper

Galactic Groundpounder
I agree, they should let the character rest and see if they can still come up with good ORIGINAL stuff instead of continually milking thier 70's/80's heydey properties like a has been rock band.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Yanno, it seems to me that Hollyweird has been totally taken over by committees in suits. Everything about it is a total 'money factory'. Little or no artistic expression remains, unless it conforms to some statisticians 'demographic demarkation graph'.......

Sequel after sequel gets trotted out, often watering down the experiencefor the audience. Take an example - Police Academy - as a movie on its own it was fun, but re-hashing it umpteen times made them all seem rubbish - how thin can you stretch a single idea.

The Matrix - as a single movie - awesome.....as a trilogy...not so great imho. I could go on indefinitely. Yes, there are sequels that are great, but sadly they're in the minority.

Walt Disney was right - Do a story, do it the best you can, then find another story to tell. Always move on.

Pixar are following a similar philosophy, far as I can tell and everything theey've done so far has been extertaining, original and fun. Can't wait to see what they do next!

I only wish more studios followed their example.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Toy Story 3 is coming ... although last time I read about it, Disney was going alone without Pixar this time. :)

Pixar usually have a couple of up-coming movies announced already and a few that are still secret. They also have short movies on the website, some of which can be bought on DVD too.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Disney going alone might not be the best plan - they've been 'lost int the wilderness' imho since the 'suits' took over.

Pixars short films - absolutely fantastic, every one of them!!

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
A brief update from ComingSoon.net ...

Lucas in 'Think Mode' for Indiana Jones 5
Speaking to the Los Angeles Times, Harrison Ford said Friday that momentum is building for a fifth movie in the "Indiana Jones" franchise and that George Lucas is already cooking up a suitable plot.

"It's crazy but great," the 66-year-old Ford said. "George is in think mode right now."

Hitting DVD and Blu-ray Disc on October 14th, Indiana Jones the the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull has made $783.7 million worldwide compared to its budget of $185 million.

"It's automatic, really, we did well with the last one and with that having done well and been a positive experience, it's not surprising that some people want to do it again," Ford said.