Future Contests and Giveaways

NOTE: Everybody must remember that this is only a suggestion.

I would love to see some vintage figures in future contests. I know they are more expensive than the newer items (because they are better;) ) but something like that would really be great.

Or a vintage item completer contest. Have multiple choice prizes. Like if you win you can choose from a vintage x-wing canopy or a landing gear for your millenium falcon to a walkie talkie for your cloud car pilot.

How about a raffle for $5.00 a head on a carded ROTJ figure via Paypal. Proceeds go to paying for the item and website fees. You can hold this contest once a month or more. I'll be there! We shouldn't all just be waiting for handouts.

Every contest I ever see on the internet is for new items. I think you can boost your vintage forum crowd with an idea like this. Post a future poll and see what our group thinks.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I'm not going to say that it won't happen, but I have a hard time seeing something like this happening in the near future.

The product for giveaways (at least at this site) almost always comes from one of the sponsors and we are limited to what they have available. Since none of our sponsors really deal with vintage, it makes it hard to work something like that in. So we try and go after the newest items or when that fails, go after something that may have been HTF or just something that the average collector wouldn't go and buy on their own.

I don't mean to be a downer about this, but I can't see how it would work very well, if at all.

I know of a great store in Florida that has to have a hundred or more vintage carded figures. If we make them some type of promise to buy (qty. x10) they would throw a good price. Alot of these figures go from between $15 - $45. You could advertise their name for further discounts.

Since the idea is a raffle, at minimum for a $20 card you need four voters at $5.00 a piece to break even. If you take a vote on this idea and a forum thread you could see how many are interested.

If 20 people say its great and go for it then you make $100 - $20 = $80.00 profit to web fees. Thats a plan!

Its not taking business from the other sponsors because they don't deal in vintage. I'm going to buy vintage somewhere anyway. It doesn't cost you any extra to run a raffle, it would just increase your vintage forum population. This also gives stores the ability to get rid of stock that isn't moving.

I'd be glad to check different stores for you that might be interested in a one time only stock dump.:D

Rancisis

Jedi Trainer
This is a great idea.
I like it a lot :)

Though I do not collect vintage carded figures,
it's always nice to posses something of the Star Wars roots :p

Here is a scenario:

Bounce the idea around in a thread with a poll. Vintage nuts like myself hear of this and start flocking to TBS increasing your vintage community.

Lets say you get 20 people who like the idea (many new curious visitors join TBS to check it out). Out of the 20, 15 follow through with their promise to join "The Raffle Club".

The Raffle Club costs $55.00. $5.00 to join for TBS fee and $50.00 to play(that is a pot of $750.00 TBS got $75.00). The money can be collected via Paypal. The amount of a raffle ticket depends on the prizes.

You mention the stores name the product is at during the auction. The winner pays them the shipping since you prepaid with our pot and left the prize there. The store would benefit from any extra sale off of the individual wanting combined shipping. Stores would love the advertising and donate small items (and vintage parts) to be involved.

Raffle #1 could be a multiple choice of 5 items for the winner to pick one loose complete vintage figure.
a) Wicket W. Warrick
b) Biker Scout
c) Princess Leia in Boushh Disguise
d) Hoth Luke
e) Darth Vader
Average figure cost is estimated at $15.00 so $1.00 a head for Raffle #1.

Raffle #2 could be a multiple choice of 5 items for the winner to pick one loose complete POTF figure.
a) Barada
b) Han Solo in Carbonite Chamber
c) AmanamanRomba
d) A-Wing Pilot
e) EV-9D9
Average figure cost is estimated at $75.00 (just in theory) so $5.00 a head for Raffle #2

Carl Waterworth

New Recruit
I really like this idea and I will be the first to raffle, are you guys at TBS going to give this idea a trail? and if it is successful this could be a good thing for everybody.:)

Raffle #3 could be a mint loose Millenium Falcon going for $80.00 divided by 15 people is $5.33 per ticket for raffle #3. I'd spend $5.33 to win an $80.00 value.

Keep going at it until the clubs money is spent and do it again. As interest in the club grows you can keep the numbers down to 15 in a club or something and the more people who join you can make a second club. This will keep the odds down to 1 in 15 (not bad at all). There is a solid chance you will win once but you could win 2-3-4 times what you put in! The thread can take votes and ideas on what the players would like to raffle for and make the prizes what the club wants to see.

Other ideas:
Vintage 12 back Figure moc unpunched ($200/15=$13.00 a ticket)
Vintage ship parts lot multiple choice ($10.00/15=$0.67 a ticket)
Vintage Remote Control Jawa Sandcrawler MONSTER RAFFLE!
($500.00/15=$33.34 a ticket)
Vintage ROTJ figure moc multiple choice ($27.00/15=$1.80 a ticket)

We need to let The Bothan Spy see if is not too much of a headache. I would be willing to help hunt for interested stores as well as anyone else who would be in The Raffle Club. I don't know how much of a hassle this would entail so we need to leave it up to TBS first.

An increase in suggested fee is possible. I'm not on this site to mooch free stuff. I don't mind paying a little bit to have some fun. A little money on the line makes things juicy.

We can even donate proceeds to some kind of charity (The Naboo Home For Battered Droids).
:twitch:

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
TBS has no interest in generating any money from anyhing like this, so if this were to happen, there would be no fees added on from TBS.
TBS could act as the impartial "winner picker" and provide and area to conduct the raffle as help in its promotion but at the moment we have no access to these types of figures for prizes.
Let me consult with the Bothan Council about the possibilties.

The Raffle Club idea has been fine tuned and is in the General Discussion section. There will be no excess in currency generated.