Forum Upgrade

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I've recently upgraded our forum. Here are a few things to note:
  • This upgrade involved importing data from our original forum database. It's possible that some data went missing in the move. I know that a few avatars have been misplaced. If you see something amiss with your account you can either try to fix it yourself (ie upload a new avatar) or let me know and I'll try to find it in the old database.
  • The styles and colors my not be quite right yet. I've been working on converting the default color scheme to something a little more "bothan". Since this involves changing from a light color scheme to a dark color scheme, you may find a few places where the text clashes with the background. Trust me, I will get to these and fix them. It can be a time consuming process.
  • I've taken this opportunity to alter the structure of the forum. You will find that some of the old forums have been merged together. My goal was to simplify things.
  • The old forum was bombarded with spammers. I spent a lot of time cleaning out bad posts and bad users. With this forum change, additional steps have been taken to make it more difficult for spammers to disrupt the forum.
Once we get fully functional here, I think that you'll find that this new forum software offers a lot of nice features and shows a lot of promise.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Looks good. :) I'll spend what free time I have this week exploring the new site. I just finished building a Crimson Empire glaive for my Royal Guard costume, and need to get back to posting daily collectibles. On the old site I was posting them in the Espionage report so they would show up on the main page. It seems we are doing away with the main page, in lieu of a portal to the forums, correct?

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
At some point maybe we can get some TBS link images up somewhere. I just noticed that some of the TBS logo links I use in my signature on other forums are gone.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Looks good. :) I'll spend what free time I have this week exploring the new site. I just finished building a Crimson Empire glaive for my Royal Guard costume, and need to get back to posting daily collectibles. On the old site I was posting them in the Espionage report so they would show up on the main page. It seems we are doing away with the main page, in lieu of a portal to the forums, correct?

The home page will come back soon. I haven't gotten around to building it yet. Switching the forum broke a few things on the old home page, so I had to take it down.

The Espionage Report forum will work a little differently. I still intend for the threads started in there to be "newsy". But instead of just reproducing that entire forum on the home page of the site, I plan to allow individual thread to be "promoted" to the front page. This means that any posting, in any forum, by any user could conceivable be elevated to show up there. So, what you want to do is just post your content in the forum you think is the most appropriate for it. If it's front-page worthy, it'll get there.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I've upload some more replacement avatars for a few people. If you want to create your own, I suggest going 192 x 192 pixels.

The styling of the forum is starting to feel a little better. I know that the search and profile pages need further tweaking.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
tbslogo_small.jpg

http://www.thebothanspy.com/img/tbslogo_small.jpg

Something like that'll work?

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER
WOAH! At first I thought I had typed in the wrong website! lol. Looks fantastic!! Just curious though, where's the 'view new posts' button at, kinda like we had on that old version. Been looking around for it.

RYAN-J :cool:

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
WOAH! At first I thought I had typed in the wrong website! lol. Looks fantastic!! Just curious though, where's the 'view new posts' button at, kinda like we had on that old version. Been looking around for it.

RYAN-J :cool:
In case other people have the same question...

If you click on "members" at the top, you'll see a link for "recent activity". This gives you an activity stream for everyone on the site.

If you're on the "forum" tab (which you probably are right now if you're reading this), you'll see 2 links. One of them is "what's new". This will show you all the new threads that you haven't read yet. If there aren't any, it gives you the option to look at a list of recent threads. The other link from the forum tab is for "watched threads". At the top of any thread is a link to "watch it". This will populate your watched threads list. Anytime there's new activity in one of your watched threads, you'll see it there.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Looks great. I haven't had time to look around properly, but it seems to work reasonably OK, if a bit slow, even on my ancient computers (this Quick Reply box works on my Mac which it never did on the previous version of the forums). :)