Chat Room

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
A chat room has been installed and added to the webite. You may access the chat room by clicking here or by clicking on the last green button along the top row of options - labeled "chat".

This chat room will not be heavily moderated, although the forum moderators will have the option of kicking out users that cause trouble and accounts can be banned. I recommend that everyone registers a name (preferrably their own forum name). At this time, chat names can only be 10 characters long. In the future, I plan to incorporate the chat feature into the forum, so that you only have to log in once and it automatically uses your forum names in the chat room.

It may be necessary for you to change the color of your text. I think I have it fixed so that it defaults to white, but I haven't tested it yet. In any event, once you make changes (such as font color), that change is remembered and will remain the same the next time you log in. You may also need to select "Spy Chat" as your default chat room.

Also, when you register, it asks for (and requires) information that some of you may not want to give out. This mainly concerns giving a first and last name. At this time, I haven't altered that part of the registration (although I'm working on it right now). I don't care what you put in those fields, but (until I fix it) you won't be able to register without putting "something" in them.

This is something that I put together very quickly and I will probably continue to work on it for a while. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Update

I figured out how to make first and last names an unrequired field when you register. So you no longer have to enter that information unless you choose to.

I'll keep working on the rest, but I have to dig through a zillion different lines of code to find the one string that effects what needs to be changed. It's...boring.

I have 2 additional problems to fix:

1) Changing the default text color from black to white.

2) Allowing longer usernames (I'm thinking 15 characters long should be enough)

If you have any other suggestions, let me know.

NOTE: You can change the color of your text (in chat) to anything that you want. So, if you want to go ahead and use the chat room, simply change the color of your text from black to white (or another "bright" color). Your modification will be remembered and you won't have to change it again.

NOTE: There is only one reason for registering in the chat area. Once a name is registered, it is reserved only for the person that registered it. No one else may log in and impersonate that user. If you log into chat without registering, then anyone can use that name once you have logged out.