Celebration 5 in 2010

SWfan

Infiltrator
I have a few questions for someone that's been to a Celebration before.

1. How long are the lines to get in to the convention? Should I be there early? I pre-ordered my tickets so can I just walk right in?

2. How long are the actors lines? I know I'll have to wait 4-5 hours for Carrie or Mark but what about the small part actors?

3.How many people can you usually get in a day? Is it likely I'll be able to get everyone in 3 days or not?

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
SWfan;86780 said:
I have a few questions for someone that's been to a Celebration before.

1. How long are the lines to get in to the convention? Should I be there early? I pre-ordered my tickets so can I just walk right in?
The lines will be several blocks long. Most everyone will already have their passes, just like you. You can pick up your promo bag of materials at will-call the day before, or anytime during the con. It's just a bag of ads, a few free trading cards, and generally just junk. Now, if you wait an hour after the doors open, you should be able to just walk right in. However, if you are after anything in the vendor room (Hasbro exclusives, non-pre-ordered Gentle Giant exclusives, etc)...you want to get in line early. I don't plan on wasting too much time on exclusive merch, as it can eventually be bought cheaper on ebay later. Any extra cost is worth the free time you gain to enjoy the con.

2. How long are the actors lines? I know I'll have to wait 4-5 hours for Carrie or Mark but what about the small part actors?
For Carrie or Mark, you would want to head there first thing in the day and get in line right away....that way you might shave an hour or two off the wait. Find out which entrance is closest to the autograph hall (once they post the maps) and wait in that line. Medium-demand autographs, like Dave Prowse or Ray Park can be up to a 1-2 hour wait depending on time of day and which day of the con. If Billy Dee shows up, he will definitely be a wait. Other signers typically have no wait at all. At any given time you might have to wait 5 minutes for someones autograph. There will be so many signers, that you can pick and choose among them with little to no wait. If you get stuck behind someone doing a signing service (ie...carrying around 20 posters and 50 8x10s)..just skip that person and com back later. Some signers are nice an tell them to take a break so they can get through a few people who want onesies. Early in the morning it will be slow, as many people are fighting over the dealer exclusives. Later in the afternoon it also slows down. Thursday and Sunday will be slower than Fri and Sat. There will be plenty of time to snag the many autographs you need. Make your first priority the long waits....just don't get in the end of a long line at a busy part of the day...time it better....there are many other more productive things to do.

3.How many people can you usually get in a day? Is it likely I'll be able to get everyone in 3 days or not?
Your big name signers will take up time. If they are someone who is easy to obtain at other cons (for example, Peter Mayhew signs very often)...it might be better to skip them and focus on people you won't be able to meet elsewhere. Depending on time of day, you could snag 10 or more sigs an hour. I like to try and carry on a small conversation with the actors as long as there is no one else waiting, and snap a photo with them...so that takes more time. Maybe 5-6 per hour.

I recommend you pick out what photos you want signed in advance that way you can buy them all quickly. Official Pix will post the photos online to view well before the event. I also recommend not doing photos if you are getting many sigs. If you are after 15-20 or more sigs....now is the perfect opportunity to start a poster....be it a movie poster, Celebration poster, or other print. You'll probably save $100 or more if you use a poster. At the time of C3, I had numerous photos and cards signed through the mail...and did not wish to change direction with my collection (and rebuy signatures I'd already had for free through the mail). However, at SW Fan Days last year, I started a Clone Wars Cartoon Series poster, and got 10 signatures on it in one day. I hope to add more to it at C5.

SWfan

Infiltrator
New guests announced today!!

Amy Allen
Caroline Blakiston - last US appearence
Julian Glover
Frank Henson
Ian Liston
Jake Lloyd
Daniel Logan
Jack McKenzie
Chris Muncke
Chris Parsons
Toby Philpott
George Rubicek
Matthew Wood

All will be there all 4 days and will be $20 each.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
So far, there are only a handful of sigs I need. I might luck out and get off pretty cheap in the autograph hall this time around. I'm sure a bunch more will pop up soon though.

Jedi Freezeman

Infiltrator
... Have hotel and flight booked... just need to buy the tickets to CV! Seeing Skel's post to SWFan reminded me of all the waiting in line... oh I hope it is not too bad and if we must wait, may much of it be indoors....

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
I wonder if they will announce any Clone Wars voice actors in the autograph hall! I got most of them at Star Wars Fan Days back in October, but I am surprised they haven't announced anyone yet.

SWfan

Infiltrator
I think they were going to announce all the Clone Wars people at one time with a discount if you bought all of them. I think they were planning on 6 or 7. James Arnold Taylor and Tom Kane have both already said they will be there.

I'm still hoping Warwick Davis, Mike Edmonds and Ahmed Best will be announced.

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
Great news on the CW voices! I have an 8x10 eith Ahsoka, Anakin and Aayla, which is already signed by Matt Lanter and Ashley Eckstein, so I am wishing that Jennifer Hale is signing.

Ahmed Best would be cool. :) But only is he was $20-30 and not $50.

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
AND I am still holding out hope for Ewan McGregor. Even though it is 99.9% not going to happen, I can still hope until August 12! ;)

SWfan

Infiltrator
I have a question.

Can you just meet the signers and get a photo of/with them without buying an autograph? Some of my family will be with me and they would like to meet some of the actors but aren't into autograph collecting.

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
When I was at CIII, on Sunday my sister and I went to the autograph hall just to look around. We stood like 10 feet or so from the celebs and were taking pictures and I remember Bodie Taylor waving us over when we were taking his pic and offered to be in the pic with us. (Being Sunday he didn't have anyone in his line.) So I think it would depend on the celeb...in our case, he didn't have anyone in his line to buy an autograph, so we weren't making him lose any sales. :) And he seems like a nice guy anyway. Now, if your family wanted to meet Carrie Fisher or a "bigger" name, I don't think that will happen, they are in a different area and you can't get near them unless you have a wristband for their autograph. (I could be wrong, but I remember seeing Official Pix staff at the end of the lines checking.)