Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
As the first step in a new feature on in the forums, I've redone all the official TBS avatars. While doing this, I removed, changed and added avatars. If your avatar changed, I replaced it with the closest match in the updated set. If, for some reason, I accidently deleted your avatar, it's very easy to re-add it in your user control panel. Currently there are 101 avatars to choose from. They look something like this:

06_tusken.gif

To browse through all of them, click here. Note that they are divided into several categories (You'll want to pick a different category to see more).

For people that would like to update their custom avatar:

The new dimensions are 90 pixels wide by 50 pixels tall. If you would like a template, I can make a .PSD file available. The reason that you might want to update your custom avatar is to match a new feature that I'll announce in a few days. You don't *have to* update your avatar. I'm only trying to make the process easier for those that choose to.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Jedi_Joel said:
So what are these funky things next to our avatars?
I'm not quite ready to fully explain that (I'm still working on it). But this is what I'm talking about when I mention "matching your avatar" in the first post. The "funky things" are designed to match the dimensions of the new avatar set.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I'm attaching a file that might help if you feel like doing some photoshop work.

When you open the file, you'll find 2 layers. The "border" layer is the black border that surrounds the avatar. As long as you don't add anything in the space outside this border, it will look good on any color forum background. The "content" layer is a solid color that has been cut to fit inside the border. It also has a slight bevel applied to it.

To make your own avatar:

1) Paste the image that you'd like to use and resize it to fit within the border.
2) Use the magic wand tool to select the inside of border (make sure you're on the border layer).
3) Select the inverse of your selection. Either through the SELECT menu or by pressing ctrl+shift+I
4) Switch to the layer that has the image you just pasted and then press the delete button. This will remove the excess part of the image that is beyond your border.
5) Right click on the "content" layer and choose "copy layer style".
6) Right click on the layer with your image and choose "paste layer style".
7) Save it. "Save for Web" will produce a smaller file size.

Attachments

17.5 KB · Views: 570

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Jedi_Joel said:
So what are these funky things next to our avatars?
Ok, I'm ready to answer this question.

Earlier this week, I posted a poll with some numbers. Based on the number that people selected, I divided them into 1 of 3 groups. Each group is a team. These teams will have a private place for team-related discussion and will compete together.

Here's the breakdown of the 3 groups:

* = group leader

Corvus
AmShak*
DarthSkelington*
JediFreezeman
YodaMan

Color: Red
Symbol: Crow
Icon:
06_groups_cor0.gif

Cygnus
Darth Aussie*
Darth Boru*
Alf
Jedi Daniel

Color: Blue
Symbol: Swan
Icon:
06_groups_cyg0.gif

Serphens
Barada*
Buzz Bumble*
IG-PPO
Jedi Joel

Color: Green
Symbol: Snake
Icon:
06_groups_ser0.gif

Each group has a moderator, a contributor and 2 regular members. These groups are not limited to the people that voted in the poll. Anyone that chooses can apply to join one of the groups.

Additionally, there is an indicator on each symbol that signifies the level of recent activity in the forum. The more often you visit and post in the forum, the higher your level is on the icon. The level is raised and lowered based on your activity.

Some examples:

Base level Cygnus:
06_groups_cyg0.gif

1st level Cygnus:
06_groups_cyg1.gif

2nd level Cygnus:
06_groups_cyg2.gif

3rd level Cygnus:
06_groups_cyg3.gif

The possibility exists that being at a higher level might be more 'rewarding'. At this time, the level is just a nice indicator of how active you currently are.

--

Many of the associated things that go along with this system are still being worked on and you can expect to see them soon. If you have any questions, post 'em.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I should also mention that there are 2 people that will never be in one of the groups because they would be involved in running any contests. That would be Wookiee_Cookiee and myself.

The symbol for this is:
06_groups_judge.gif

Impartial Judges

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Yoda Man said:
What is activity? Is it hours on the forum, number of posts? Amount spent in arcade?
I'm looking at the last 6 weeks. It's a combination of number of days visiting the site and the number of posts in that time span.

If I'm looking at you specifically, you have about 67% of the requirement to be at the 3rd level based on your current activity. You're 25% above the requirement to be at the 2nd level (which is where you are: 2nd level). So, if you go on an African Safari for 2 weeks, you can probabably expect to drop a level. But, if you casually increase the number of time you contribute posts to the forum, you can expect to bump it up a level.

I don't want people to get too hung up on this. The way to increase the number is to increase the ammount of posts you make in the forum. But, I do not recommend trying to artificially pad your post count. And, at this moment, the level you're at does not necessarily mean anything.

Also, if it gets to the point where everyone is at level 3, I reserve the right to increase the requirements to make the status meaningful again.

I'm glad people enjoy the arcade, but time spent in the arcade or chat room isn't really relevant to the forums.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
mynock11 said:
i guess this answers my questions....disregard the I/M Amshak..:banghead:
I'm releasing things as I get them done. Sorry for any confusion.

If you give me a day or so, I'll have instructions for applying to join a group as well as having a few other things.

Also, I forgot to add the avatar you were using. This one:
06_clonetrooper6.gif

You can find it with the others now, if that's the one you'd rather use.

mynock11

Sith Medic
Borsk said:
I'm releasing things as I get them done. Sorry for any confusion.

If you give me a day or so, I'll have instructions for applying to join a group as well as having a few other things.

Also, I forgot to add the avatar you were using. This one:
06_clonetrooper6.gif

You can find it with the others now, if that's the one you'd rather use.

Nahh borsk i like the one i have now thanks....

mynock11

Sith Medic
Got a question ... Correct me if im wrong but wasnt there badges next to our names before like for C3 ,video game awards and such? What happened to them?

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER
Just letting everone know that I changed my Avatar!:D I always get confused when members change there avatar and don't tell anybody! So There you go:D :D

RYAN-J