25th Anniversary Sets. "death Star Escape" And "swing To Freedom" Detailed Pictu

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
Hey guys,
this first week of 2002 I'm pleased to bring you detailed pictures of Hasbro's perfect replacement to the Cinema Scenes, the Silver Anniversary two packs, a new line which celebrates 25 years of Star Wars.
These Anniversary sets are beautifully packed, nicely recreating movie likeness as well as the sculpting of the characters.
Scheduled for a nation wide release this month of January, the line's first wave of sets include all new sculpts of Luke Skywalker/Princess Leia, Han Solo/Chewbacca and Darth Vader/ Alec Guiness"Obi-Wan."
The figures offered within these sets are the essence of Star Wars, the courage in the face of overwhelming odds, the face to face encounter between good and evil and the strong ties of friendship.
Their titles are as catchy as the figures and design they offer:

"SWING TO FREEDOM" Depicts the well remembered movie scene with Luke and Leia as they barely escaped the clutches of the Empire while being chased down by stormtroopers. Using Luke's grappling hook, they hung for their lives across and endless chasm. A great example of courage when faced with overwhelming odds.

"DEATH STAR ESCAPE" It is indeed a showcase of friendship. With only a blaster and a bowcaster Han Solo and Chewbacca faced adversity, blasting their way out of trouble and escaping danger throughout the galaxy.

Let's review the sets including presentation, accessories/sculpt and articulation.

PRESENTATION FOR BOTH SETS

The package is indeed, special. A hexagonal shape has been given to the box, offering top and bottom sturdy black plastic ends. A big clear window wraps up the package and allows for the figures to be viewed from the sides as well as the front. The sets could be easily displayed in or out of their boxes, offering removable backdrops of the Millennium Falcon and the Death Star.
Those of you thinking about taking the figures out and later on placing them back in their boxes be aware; it is practically impossible to remove the figures without causing some kind of bend or tear to the package, this is due in great part to the new design, where the flaps are plastic and embedded within the cardboard parts... buying seconds anyone?

DEATH STAR ESCAPE: CHEWBACCA & HAN SOLO

ACCESSORIES: The Death Star Escape pack is definitely the best accessorized set out of the two. It comes packed with a Millennium Falcon backdrop and a Hangar bay floor stand. There are four peg hooks for the figures to be placed on.

CHEWBACCA: His new bowcaster sculpt is like hitting a nail right on its head. It is by far the best one made yet, as far as color and detail is concerned. Chewie's bowcaster features a more realistic look with the inclusion of a greenish shoulder strap and bigger rounded ends. The Wookie's face, as you will notice in the pictures below, has also been sculpted incredibly well, even his teeth were meticulously detailed and painted. The hair on his arms is now longer and hangs down, giving the figure a more life-like appearance. Chewbacca's height is also well proportioned and his feet have detailed black painted nails.

HAN SOLO: Standing on Chewbacca's left side is the mighty Han Solo, a figure I'm sure Harrison Ford could feel proud of. The face sculpt on Solo is all for all the best one up to date. There is no doubt when looking at the figure, you will detect right away a younger Ford. Adding to this great feature, the sculpt presents a nicely sculpted blaster which can be placed in the most detailed holster I've seen on a 3 3/4" Han Solo figure and the smuggler's belt has also been precisely worked on including different gadgetry. Han's vest is a separate mold and although not removable, it can be easily moved around. His boots are also painted shiny black and much better sculpted than previous ones.

ARTICULATION: It is good to remember these figures are more likely to recreate a certain scene from the films than to give the ability of different poses, therefore both figures will remain dodged. Despite this fact, they are articulated at the head, shoulders, waist and legs. Both figures can be placed standing up without the need of their base or stand, should you decide to do so.

SWING TO FREEDOM: PRINCESS LEIA & LUKE SKYWALKER

ACCESSORIES: The set includes a backdrop of the Death Star chasm as well as a plastic base recreating the Death Star floor. There are four peg hooks for the figures to be placed on

PRINCESS LEIA: Although it has been carefully crafted, including a more human-like face sculpt, the figure offers very little likeness to the character. On the good side, Leia's face features are more delicate, her hair buns are more precise and her belt has more detail to it with the addition of a clearly defined buckle. Under her garment she wears white boots which go up to knee level. Leia also sports a removable blaster which she can hold with her right hand only.

LUKE SKYWALKER: As with the sculpt of his sister, Luke's face offers very little likeness to Mark Hamill BUT it is much better sculpted than the previous Luke X-Wing and the "buck teeth" feature has been taken out. His hair color scheme offers highlights and the strands have been more defined. Luke comes packed wearing a molded on stormtrooper belt that has been nicely crafted including a holster. His boots are very much given the right color, including some dirt. The grappling hook which the figure holds was nicely made and it includes a rope-like black string attached to it. The string goes in through Luke's molded shut left hand, wraps around his left hand and then goes around his waist.

ARTICULATION: As previously mentioned, these figures represent a specific scene from the movies and their poses are therefore limited.

LEIA: She is articulated at the head, shoulders, waist and legs. Her left arm was sculpted to remain positioned as if she was holding on to her brother, ready to jump. She will indeed look very weird if displayed alone. Her body was also designed leaning back and, she will remain that way. Although Leia is articulated at the legs this feature has no use as her long dress unables leg movement. Due to the pose given to the figure, Leia can only remain standing when hooked onto a peg.

LUKE: He is articulated at the head, shoulder, waist and legs. as with his sister he features a leaned back pose which cannot be altered and he also requires the use of a stand to keep him from falling down.

These sets are very much up to expectations as they both look great in or out of their packages. They are certainly, a clear example of how far Hasbro has come offering collectors a more detailed and scene specific product.

The days of the beefy Luke and Han Solo, the monkey-like-face Leia and the short height Chewie are forever gone.
This year Hasbro will impress us even further as more classic characters are unveiled and the new line of Episode 2 figures comes to a premier.

Indeed, 2002 promises to be a great year for Star Wars collectors and fans worldwide and what a better way to start it off than with these classic characters sets. I believe it is now safe to say: EXPECT ONLY THE BEST in the months to come.

HAPPY NEW YEAR and enjoy the pictures.

Ishi Tib

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
box breakdown "death star escape"

Attachments

• a 25th anniversaary han and chewbacca.jpg
    a 25th anniversaary han and chewbacca.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 808

vfermi

Consultant
Scored

found these last night at wallyworld... They're NICE. My han does have the funny cut/crack on his upper chest. Love the packaging.

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
Hey V'
I'm glad you found these sets. They are indeed very nice and the packaging certainly is very collector friendly. They are starting to show up here in Miami now but as of yet, no sign of the "Final Duel" one. As I had explained on a previous post relating to this specific set, the sculpt on Obi is really an awesome one...wait till you get it...

By the way, I wanted to ask you... does your "Swing to Freedom" set have a code "C-001B" on the back of the box, as a sticker or is it printed?...

Have you changed your screen name?, I do not see you online anymore:(

vfermi

Consultant
I THINK its a sticker, but its really hard to tell under the plastic.

no i didnt change my name... Im just on as sandtroopervw most of the time. Vfermi only makes the occasional appearance. :)

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Hey Ishi,
you didn't ask me but i'll tell you anyway. I have 4 of them and they all have a sticker.