10,000 members

Wow we're up to 10,000 members now. That is the population of the town I live in now. Thats fantastic. :)

Are there any yearly statistics as to site population and growth? I think it would be kinda cool to see how the site has evolved over time and a little history segment of some sort (along with memorable moments) along with the launchng date and a bit about the staff.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Well... 10,000 people may have signed-up (many for the give-aways), but there's really only about 10 actual members. :)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
You have:
  1. People that register and never verify their e-mail (therefore never becoming full members)
  2. Spammers that register and never verify their e-mail.
  3. People that register, verify their e-mail but never post anything.
  4. People that register, verify their e-mail and post a lot (ie you and me).
  5. Spammers.
I just removed group #2 from the site. Group #5 will be next. Group #2 and #5 have provided me with a nice little list of domains that will be banned from ever registering here again.

In my opinion, only #3 through #5 should ever really count as "members" for that number you see. Although that's obviously not what it is defaulted to.

I forget exactly how I set this up, but if you notice the number in parenthesis to the right of the member count -- I believe this is telling you how many members have been to the forum in the last 2-4 weeks (I'd have to go back and look at what I did to know the exact time frame). This is essentially the number of 'active' members.

Its a bit of a shame, but at least there is a solid core of true members and some decent "part timers".

It would be nice to see some of the "bar flies" hiding in the corners to post now and then to know they are still alive.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
This is some housecleaning that's been needed for a while now. Hopefully, it will make it easier on the mods (because they won't have to delete so many spam messages). I posted in this thread because the "10,000 members" perfectly illustrates the problem with spammers that we've had.

I would wager that interest in Star Wars in general has been, and probably still is, fairly low. It'll swing back around though.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
It's a bit strange. There doesn't seem to be much interest for The Clone Wars animated show anywhere, but I quite like it. Maybe it's because it plays for kids' so most "original fans", i.e. old coots, don't get to see it (I've only managed to see about half the episodes). Perhaps things will pick-up again with the live-action show.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I also like the cartoon, but I didn't watch them when they aired. I had a bunch recorded that I watched in one go.

I can say, for myself, that I needed a break from Star Wars stuff.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I'm in a yahoo group (same one that meets with the Spies at Celebrations) and they are pretty in to the cartoon. Of course, several of them have kids now. Too bad I can't get them to post some of their discussion over here more often. Most of them are registered Spies. :p

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Sky TV here ran a mini-marathon of all the episodes the weekend before the one just gone. It started at about 9:00am and finished at about 6:00pm ... I didn't see any of that though. :(

I think normal TV still has a few episodes to go. They play it at 3:30pm on Fridays, so sometimes I'm not here to see it. Rather strangely a different network is giving away the DVDs, so I might win those, but otherwise I'll wait for the proper box set.

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
Warren and I haven't seen much of the cartoon...no cable and a dial-up connection have been the bain of our existence. I'm hoping they put out a real season 1 DVD and not just selected eps like what's out now.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
If I remember correctly, the proper DVD for The Clone Wars is due in time for Christmas ... but I could just be remembering rumours (it's been a busy couple of work months recently). :)