New here

starwarssisters

Junior Spy
I know I should probably know this by now, but I'm thinking about sending some requests to the UK for the first time, and I don't know what to do about the SAE. I probably need to ask if the post office has IRC's, but I don't even know if they exist anymore. If they don't have those, what should I send?

SWfan

Infiltrator
I know I should probably know this by now, but I'm thinking about sending some requests to the UK for the first time, and I don't know what to do about the SAE. I probably need to ask if the post office has IRC's, but I don't even know if they exist anymore. If they don't have those, what should I send?

I send cash for return postage. $2-3 for small envelope (trading cards/4x6's), $5-6 for 8x10s. It works pretty good for me.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Yeah, IRCs are a thing of the past, but cold hard cash still gets results, for about the same price if not less. The most I can suggest in letter writing is to try and be sincere. It can be hard to be original in a letter after writing 20-30 requests. They all start to sound the same. But, I find it's helpful to review the actors credits on IMDB, and see if they were involved in anything else you liked. That can give you a little something more to talk about. I would sometimes ask the actor to help clarify which character they were in a scene...(like troopers, pilots, or guards). Sometimes they can speak specifically about it, sometimes they can't. I found it was a good conversation point, that way I could place there autograph with a photo later, in the case of background characters where it is uncertain if they are even in the picture you send. I would also sometimes ask them to suggest films they have been in to watch, if I wanted to see more of their work, or ask if they have any upcoming projects they might be appearing in.

I wouldn't try and force a conversation if you just can't come up with anything. That's perfectly ok. However, I agree with SWfan. You can sometimes get some really cool responses...even whole letters in response...sometimes handwritten.

starwarssisters

Junior Spy
Yeah, I kind of thought IRCs weren't around anymore. I'm sending out a few requests this week, and I'm trying to be more specific and have some questions in my letters. As you said, after you send out a few requests they all get kind of similar. Getting a subscription to StarTiger got me excited again, I haven't sent any requests in a month...

SWfan

Infiltrator
Today I signed up for a one month membership for StarTiger. It's really awesome! There's a ton of addresses that I couldn't find on any of the free sites like fanmail.biz.

Yeah, Startiger is awesome! Lol. It's also really helpful for keeping track of your collection and organizing everything. :)

starwarssisters

Junior Spy
Yeah, Startiger is awesome! Lol. It's also really helpful for keeping track of your collection and organizing everything. :)
I really like how I can track which requests I have pending, and which ones I have out. No more tracking in a notebook! :)

starwarssisters

Junior Spy
I sent out five autograph requests yesterday to...
Peter Cullen
Steve Downes
Kate Capshaw
John Rhys-Davies
Britt Nicole
...I used addresses from StarTiger, I believe they sould come back successfully.

starwarssisters

Junior Spy
Well, the past month has been interesting for TTM. :) I have had SO many return to senders, it's crazy. I got the second RTS from Britt Nicole, the second for Catherine Taber, and another from Liv Tyler. Apparently almost no one from Lord of the Rings signs TTM. Bummer. Although I did get an amazing response from Karen Allen! She sent me a black and white 8x10 of herself signed and personalized to me!

SWfan

Infiltrator
Well, the past month has been interesting for TTM. :) I have had SO many return to senders, it's crazy. I got the second RTS from Britt Nicole, the second for Catherine Taber, and another from Liv Tyler. Apparently almost no one from Lord of the Rings signs TTM. Bummer. Although I did get an amazing response from Karen Allen! She sent me a black and white 8x10 of herself signed and personalized to me!

Congrats on Karen! I also got a reply from her recently. :) For Lord Of The Rings cast, watch for them to do plays and send there or find a movie set to send to. I was able to get Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving and Ian McKellen via plays. Ian's actually still on Broadway til next year.