You Can Do It Too

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
Hey guys,
have you ever thought about what to do with that spare time we all seem to get once in a blue moon? It is usually that time we sometimes find ourselves staring at a wall, placing our thoughts on hold with absolutely nothing for our minds to work on. Suddenly we realize and hour has passed our lives and we did nothing with it.

Well, in my case, I've found a way to get some productive doing from that "spare time." It is a relaxing time for me, perhaps a pain in the royal butt for others but I use it, as I'd like to call it myself, to build custom bases for 12" sets, or at least give it a try.

All it takes is a little bit of patience, a few easy to find materials which may even be lying around your attic, basement or garage, some creative thinking and you'll be provided with hours of entertainment. The results of your work may vary depending on your ability but hey, they will be your very own.

I wanted to share with you pictures of such results in my case, including my first custom 12" figure, a Gungan warrior. Perhaps some of you would like to share with us your creative work also.
You can create your own custom settings in no time if you set your mind to it and probably even better that what I've done.
Here is an explanation to the pictures below:

BOUNTY HUNTERS: Built using two CD racks for the top and bottom. I built the door out of wood, plastic and some metal pieces I found lying around in the cabinet drawers in my garage.

SPEEDER BIKE AND SCOUT TROOPER: Well for this one, I went to Walmart, bought a cheap fake tree. saw off the trunk in about 7 pieces to create my own trees. i then built a platform using plywood, put nails trough it pointing up, mixed some plaster of Paris and laid on top of the platform and nails and while it was still soft i placed the "trees" and the stand for the bike in it and shaped the surface to my like. Once the whole thing was dry, I covered it up using moss, lichen, foliage and coarse turf from "woodland scenics" (materials used for model trains) from the local hobby shop.

DARTH MAUL ON SPEEDER: Added gadgetry to the speeder's console panel, as well as wires inside the sleeves of maul's robes to give the illusion of wind blowing through them. maul was placed on a base built with plywood, plaster of Paris and sand which i spray painted later on using a can of "model master" modern desert sand color # Fs 33722

DEWBACK PATROL: Changed the color on the Dewback, giving it a darker, brownish look. the Sandtrooper on the Dewie's back suffered the consequences of my brush and got him a little dirty, including shot marks and a cracked helmet. I also gave him a rifle. next to the is the Marmit Sandtrooper but this one I couldn't find it in me to alter anything.

GUNGAN WARRIOR: I used the armor of an old stoormtrooper I had. With a blade I cut and shaped it into a Gungan's vest and it worked perfect on the figure. the figure itself was a captain Tarpals from the Kaadu set. I made his pants tighter, painted them the proper color, shaved his mostache :), made him the hair piece out of cloth which I later painted. The shield was built out of a garbage bin from Walmart which had the right transparency and the decorations on the shield are the inside wiring used on cable TV.

Now, if you like, scroll down and view the pics!

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
pic # 1

Attachments

• custom a bounty hunters final.jpg
    custom a bounty hunters final.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 410

Redleader

New Recruit
Very cool. It's not of matter of time with me making that kind of stuff.....it's a matter of skill, of which I have none.

Keep up the good work!

Barada

Saboteur
Looks incredible Ishi! I have a couple of half-assed display bases I made, but they pale in quality next to yours. Maybe you can make me some? :)

Barada

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
Thanks for your comments guys. I really appreciate them.

Redleader, yes it is true skills count but, when I first started doing this I had none. What really counts the most is the interest. If it's there, then by all means you will accomplish good results after a few tries and geting your hands really sticky and dirty. Your skills will develope with time..give it a try buddy!

Barada, I could make you one or two or three, now.... the shipping cost of these twenty pounders to Canada has me scratching my head :)

If you know of anyone interested, I'm selling all of them with the figures except for the speeder bikes.

Be well...

Barada

Saboteur
Hey Ishi,

You know that shipping to Canada isn't that bad. I think it's somewhere around $2 :satan: :stupid:

Barada

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
Barada, no problem. I will be making you a dozen. Please expect delivery somewhere around 2006.... Gee!, if I would had only known before shipping was so cheap, the things I could had gotten you :):):)