Will it be the end?...

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
Hey guys,
I wanted to comment on an issue which has been hunting my thoughts for quite a while.
More or less in 3 years from now Episode III will be premiering but once the last scene of the film fades away on movie screens, it will be the end of the Star Wars saga as we know it, or so they say.
What will happen then?.......
Will that be the end for us fans as far as collecting goes?...
Will there ever be an expectation for a continuation of the Star Wars universe through films?
Needless to say, Star Wars is the story of Anakin Skywalker, a story which ends with Darth Vader's death in Return of the Jedi but, there is also plenty of story us fans would love to be told about.
Taking a deep look into the events of the story, there is a huge gap between the Endor celebration and the new come of the Republic, those are about 25,000 years which haven't been touched, which haven't been told. So there's a lot to cut from.
An anthology approach could vitalize the story, allowing for fresh tales to be produced with all new characters.
What other worlds are there packed with stories of adventures and triumphs to be known?...
It has been said many times George Lucas has no plans for sequels but....what if?
It would be very frustrating on us, fans, if Lucasfilms do not continue to produce more of the story in some "shape or form."
There has been a great amount of fan films which have been produced out of the love for "The Story," The interest as well as the number of fans all over the world for anything Star Wars related have increased. The great success Episode I was and the great success to expect for the upcoming films can only lead one to believe, Star Wars has kept on building a legion of followers generation after generation and it should remain "alive," whether on the small screen or the big screen.
Then again..what if? what if Mr. Lucas would realize all this and would decide on making episodes VII, VIII and IX. Wouldn't that be an extraordinary news?
I clearly remember the interview given in March of '97 by Rick McCallum to a magazine. He was asked if there were plans for a sequel; he replied by saying: "... if the audience were to love the prequel trilogy and it was a success then, we would start thinking about VII, VIII, IX"
Remember, also, that when Lucas wrote the original saga, there was the basic outline of a total of nine stories all together.
So, is there hope then?
Will there be more made as a follow up after Return of the Jedi?
Hopefully Star Wars will not come to an end with Episode III Hopefully George will decide to keep providing us with so much entertainment and fun. The decision will be his and his alone. One thing we know for sure is that if he decides to carry on, it will come from his heart.
How do you guys feel about this? :vader:

BarneyFife

New Recruit
Well, i don't think georgy should dabble into the new republic till eposode nine. You gotta remeber, they destroyed one death star, one fleet, and one emporer, there thousands more imperial fleets and plenty of Grand moff's that could still easily carry out the war.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Umm...Thrawn?

Even if they never make another official trilogy of movies, it would be cool to see some of the books/comics converted into movies. The Timothy Zahn series does spring to mind...

Talon

New Recruit
I think that after E3 we will have seen the last of the big screen Star Wars. You have to realize that each film takes about 3 years to make considering the enormous amount of special effects that have to be incorporated to each film. I don't know how old Lucas is off hand but I do know that he is over 50. Having said that, Lucas has also commented about the new Indiana Jones and other projects that he has in the works that are just waiting for him to start work on once Star Wars has been completed.
I do think that we may see a TV show of some sort, possibly a cartoon. I think that this would be the next logical step for Lucas and SW. Let's face it, SW makes money. It would be silly to think that GL is going to turn his back on his golden child. Besides, TV would be the perfect medium. George can have as much or as little control as he wants. He can set guidelines and let it run its course. Sure, there would be all new characters with the possible exception of the droids. Heck, it would still be WAY, WAY better than anything that has the Star Trek title on it :smirk: and probably much better than the stuff that we are subjected to on TV right now.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Not to take anything away from George's advancing age, but do you realize that John Williams will turn 70 next February?

How weird would it be to watch a future Star Wars movie or tv series (mini series, etc) with a score composed by someone other than John Williams?

Lucas is 57.

Barada

Saboteur
I have mixed feelings on this. First and foremost, I have also considered that we may be only three years or so from the end of Star Wars on the big screen. I am not looking forward to this, to put it mildly.

However, this will help cement the movies as classics, if Episode III is indeed the end. The problem with many movie series is that they don't know when to quit, and when it finally is the end, the series has become a joke. You want examples? Great movies like Jaws, Halloween, and maybe even James Bond movies aren't taken as seriously because of their poor sequels. Nobody doubts that the original movies are great, but when was the last time anyone said the Jaws SERIES was great? It tarnishes the memories of these great films. The last thing I want to see happen is for the Star Wars 'series' to become a joke, because of some awful movies put out simply to cash in on the name.

I want to remember Star Wars as a series of movies that told a good, compelling story with a satisfying resolution. I don't want it to be another Bond, where the last few movies are virtually indistinguishable from one another. So, as hard as it is for me to say, let it end. I'll grow old knowing I was around for one of the few true Hollywood classic movie series.

Barada

Deathstar

Visit vacation paradise!
I agree in principle with much of what has been said. As most of us perfers to speak from a fans point of view, let the series end and remain undiluted. The movie, Gone With The Wind will always remain the same, untouchable!
Unfortunately there is the Golden Goose Syndrome: Lots of MONEY !!
Star Trek did not end with Roddenberry's death. There were major movies made, some not appealing as others, but the fans ate it up. There were also the off shoots of Trek, Cartoon Series and several successful TV Series some of which are continuing on present programing. Keep in mind that more money can be made through syndication that making or continuing a current series.
Has this formual worked? You bet ya!
I would not be suprised if our beloved Stars Wars does continue down this path, with or without GL.

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
Well, yes I definitely agree with the George / Williams factor. The films indeed would need to have both of these two talents "magic" on them to be what they are, a symbol of great movie making.
On the other hand, films such as "Jaws" lost much of their appeal due in great part to the fact they went from being directed by Spielberg (Jaws) to...who directed the last one? Every director has his own ways and his own ideas on how to direct or show the frames of film, such jumping around from director to director difinitely damages the final product.
My idea on the continuation of the Star Wars stories will most definitely have to be based on a very close relation among Lucas-Williams and a new director, given the fact Lucas would not direct them. Seeing the films produced any other way will forever stain the image and reputation Star Wars has built.
It is understood Lucas has other projects in mind after the release of Episode III, but my basic idea deals with finishing up what once was a 9 chapter saga. What if Lucas under his close supervision, will rely his story unto a new director and give us, the fans, the last three chapters?
I would not like to see much more after this. The only way a continuation of Star Wars stories could keep a good, clean and well oriented path would have to be under George's terms. Remember that the Empire Strikes Back, for instance, was not directed by Lucas but still it was a great film, why? Lucas' supervision was present.
Any dealings with the story, whether on the big screen or the small screen will definitely have to have Lucas's stamp of approval on them.
The music score, as far as Mr.Williams is concerned, could be written even before the movies would be produced. Remember, John writes the scores based on the explanation of an overall idea of the subject or main theme of the film. Since episodes VII, VIII ans IX were already part of Luca's first vision of the stories the idea of such is there and, it would be something not so hard for Williams to work on, despite his age.
To finalize my thoughts on this and as much as I would hate to admit it myself, the Star Wars universe will definitely have to come to an end sometime. It is only logical to think this way if we want the story to preserve its magic touch, its greatness.
One thing remains strong within my wishes and that is to be able to see the last three originally planned episodes turned into films but, never without the presence of the one man who thought it all out.

Talon

New Recruit
Yeah but there won't be Chapters 7-9 as previously mentioned. The simple fact is what will these movies be about? Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader are dead?
Who is going to portray these characters? Do you really think that Harrison Ford wants to reprise the role of Han Solo? Do you want to see them use new actors instead?

As much as I would love to see more of Star Wars on the big screen I just don't ever, ever think it will happen. That is why I think that if Star Wars does continue it will most definitely be a TV type of thing.

Deathstar

Visit vacation paradise!
I have always felt that Jaws was a sleeper hit and was supposed to be a one shot deal. Since it hit big box office, the big shots desided to make a sequel. The sequel also did well and they continued the sequel process until the last Jaws was made. Number four I think, and it was a stinker. I believe Jaws started as R and ended up PG. The producers tried to milk the last one by making it entertaining to eveyone.......thus a kiddie movie with kids trapped on a raft being lunch for the rouge shark.
We all know that most sequels are stinkers and this is the Golden Goose concept. I would hate to see this happen to Star Wars!

If there ever is a Star Wars Chapter 7 and beyond, The most proven formula of Hollywood is to project the concept into the future and do away with the old actors by introducing new ones.
Of course they will mention that the newbies are related somehow to the old characters and you may see a cameo appearance now and then.
In the event it makes TV, it will probably be the beginning of the end for Star Wars because of lower budget and might end up on WB or UPN which have a lower viewing audience. My best guess.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
By the time they got around to making the last three, our favorite characters could be computer generated. The original actors could provide the voices for younger versions of themselves.
I know this may sound silly, but i would have never thought that i would have seen Jar Jar in any Star Wars movies.
i don't know how well the fans would like this, but it seems that this is the direction that Lucas is going, not that he would do it.
Just a thought.

Barada

Saboteur
I believe that after Star Wars Episode III is done, Lucas has some other projects he is interested in, such as Indy IV. This will probably mean that it will take at least five years after Episode III, which is itself a little more than three years away, to start any new ones. A new trilogy would then probably take about ten years before the last one hits the screen. Considering Lucas's age, this will most likely put him somewhere in the late 70's at best to the early to mid-80's by the time Episode IX would be released. This is mighty close to male life expectancy. I would be surprised if George Lucas will still be making ANY movies at this age.

Now, this means that someone else would eventually have to take over the series. Although it would still work with GL as an advisor (Empire is my personal fave), what would happen if he became unable to finish them? The SW movies would not be the same without him, but somebody would have to completely take over in this situation.

As far as a TV series, I think it would fail for a couple of reasons. The Star Wars movies, more than any other series in history, has incredibly high expectations for its special effects as well as other technical things. There is no way that a TV show with an average 13 show season could find funding to meet the fan's expectations. No matter how highly anticipated the series would be, it would be a major disappointment for that reason alone. I know computer graphics can make things a lot cheaper, but TV CGI is done on a budget, and tends to look like CGI.

Also, there would have to be some consistency sacrifices. I know this sounds morbid, but every SW movie sees the death of at least one major character. ANH lost Obi-Wan and Tarkin, in Empire Yoda died, Jedi saw the end of Vader and Palpatine, and Menace ended with the deaths of Qui-Gon and Maul. It wouldn't be much of a spoiler to say that the end of Episode III, or soon after it, Amidala will also die. That means that to continue this trend, someone major will have to die in every TV episode. That sounds more like the plot for Survivor. I know that you wouldn't have to kill off someone every episode, but then each show would end with some clash between the republic and the empire. That's already been done. Battlestar Galactica anyone?

I know this sounds pessimistic, but I think the series SHOULD end with Episode III. Remember, just because there are no more movies does not mean that we won't be fans ten years from now. It was our devotion to Star Wars that brought the original trilogy back to movie screens two decades after the initial release of A New Hope. It is us that made Star Wars action figures and toys best sellers in four different decades (the 70's, 80's, 90's and now). It is us that made two of the four Star Wars movies rank in the top three biggest box office successes of all time, and the series as a whole the most profitable one in history. I'll still be here posting on this site (unless AmShak and Borsk decide one day to end it), for the next ten, twenty, even thirty years from now. The end of new releases will not mean the end of Star Wars. I know I'll still be a huge fan. How about everyone else?

Barada

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
There are two concepts you guys have given which I definitely agree upon. Although different in nature I feel very much linked to each train of thought.

First off, Amshak's point of view about actually creating computer generated characters to play such roles, is not a silly context at all.

Indeed CG technology has improved so much that creating characters to the exact likeness of real actors and making them believable to the human eye could not be categorized anymore as "impossible"

Take for instance what was done with "Shrek." The computerized animation on the film was so close to real life actors (Cameron Diaz), they had to actually degrade their looks and give them a more cartoonish appearance. And of course Jar Jar Binks and Watto are clear examples of such advance. The technology is there to produce such human likeness, the time may not be the most appropriate now due to a series of old principles within our society which inhibits many people to view it as a technological advance and not as a demoralization of the actor himself, which it is the most common concept today.

Lucas and ILM are pioneering such technology, producing some of the best ever computer animated sequences and therefore, paving the way for such technology to be exploit it anywhere, thus Amshak's point of view sounds like a very good possibility to me. As with any new ideas that could revolutionized certain parameters established in a society, computerized technology confronts and will confront the dislike of many but on the long run society will eat it up as when it was first said the Earth was round. It takes time for the human mind to assimilate new views but time will take its course. So as far as technology goes, it is "doable"

Barada's point of view also brings good food for the brain.
I certainly sympathize with his concept that if such films are ever produced (remember our whole discussion is simply hypothetical), a TV series will in fact take away most of the value and reputation of the series. Certainly TV producing has limited budgeting for extraordinary special effects and other elements which have been a key point on the Star Wars films. My take on this is, that in order for such TV series to present all the technological elements and appeal the films have, they would have to be completely controlled by Lucasfilms and George in order to make it work; I believe George and his team could create magic on the small screen if they were to focus on it, despite previous trends established in the films but, after all, a TV series would be something very unlikely to happen.

As far as the movie making aspect is concerned, I strongly believe that if they were ever made (Episodes VII, VIII and IX) they would be a great success.

True is the fact Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine and Yoda would be dead. True is also the fact the young and energetic characters of Han Solo and Luke Skywalker would be old but, these factors do not necessarily create a lack of a substantial theme for these three episodes to take place and also we know, Lucas himself had thought of and perhaps written about the following three episodes.

Although it is expected, we never saw Darth Vader as part of Episode I, nor will see it as part of Episode II, we do know Anakin in fact will turn into the Sith Lord thus it is that linkage of a previous established character what really works.

Many of the characters in the prequels are (will be) linked to the original trilogy. There, I believe, it is where the secret of such success lies; the relation of such characters to previous ones whether directly or indirectly. Therefore, Episode XII, XIII and IX could be a linkage to characters previously established within the films plus the addition of new ones, even taken from some of the novels.

I also strongly believe that if such movies would take place, George will definitely be able to create villains, wizards and good guys just as great as Darth Vader Yoda and Han Solo have been.

Despite what previously comments have been raised about a lack of interest for making another trilogy, surprises could take place. Take for instance the release of EP I on dvd after it had been said many times it was very unlikely to take place.

In conclusion there are three main factors for seeing the production of a future trilogy: INTEREST, TIME and AGE

INTEREST: After the last film is made, will Lucas have an interest for giving his fans more of what he had originally planned?

TIME: Will Lucas and company have enough of it to dedicate it to making the films without the interference of other projects?

AGE: Considering Lucas age at the present time, will he still have a will keep on writing and directing 15 years from now or could he had possibly died by then?

Whether the movies will get to see the light of day or not, whether or not the Star Wars saga ends with Episode III or not, one thing will remain strong within myself for as long as I live, my love and admiration as a fan for a story which has become an American subculture, which has expanded all over the world carrying for four generations and many more to come the positive message that evil can be destroyed and that good will remain strong.

Vader's Obsession

New Recruit
Just to add more to this spirited discussion, I read a recent interview with Lucas where he discussed this very thing. He said the following:

"Each time I do a trilogy it's 10 years out of my life. I'll finish "Episode III" and I'll be 60. And the next 20 years after that I want to spend doing something other than "Star Wars". If at 80 I'm still lively and having a good time and think I can work hard for another 10 years between 80 and 90, I might consider it. But don't count on it. There's nothing written, and it's not like I'm completing something. I'd have to start from scratch. The idea of episodes VII, VIII, and IX were more of a media thing than it was me."

You can read into this what you want, but I don't think anyone should hold their breath waiting for another trilogy. Of course I'd like to see more Star Wars movies, but unless it's something that Lucas is really committed to, and something that he wants to do, I'd rather he didn't.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I still think they could make a mini-series or something based on the "unofficial" books. That's what I was getting at with the "Thrawn" comment. If having all this Expanded Universe stuff out there isn't doing any harm to the actual trilogies, then what's wrong with turning out a movie or tv mini-series based on them.

I think the general population would understand the nature of the expanded universe material as being nothing more than a variation on a theme rather than a continuation of the "saga".

I'd love to see the supposed final trilogy, but I kinda doubt that will happen. I don't see any reason why Star Wars has to die when Lucas does.

And since we're throwing Star Trek into the mix here too:

As much as Star Trek V sucked, it didn't diminish my feelings for Star Trek II. So, the argument that making more Star Wars stuff is gonna diminish the old trilogies doesn't make much sense to me.

But, hey, it's just my opinion.

Redleader

New Recruit
I read the same article that Vader's Obsession didi not too long ago. It raised my hopes at first, but then I realized that he wouldn't make another trilogy. I'd hate to see it as a TV show.....It doesn't seem right, it seems beneth Star Wars. I mean Star Trek made the step up to the big screen, but SW going down to TV wouldn't work. It might for a new cartoon or something, but not live acting.