Whatever happened to...?

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
Hey guys,
with the upcoming release of Episode II and so many new actors showing in these last two films, we are sort of leaving in the past the faces of those that with their effort in the classic trilogy of Star Wars films made it possible for us to enjoy the social and cultural impact it became

If you are like myself and like to keep track of the actors who 25 years ago gave the world a story which was destined to be told generation after generation, I'm certain you might find the following list of interest to you.

Here are some of their names and what their lives became after being part of The Force.

Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker)
Partly because of a disfiguring car crash in 1976, Hamill could never seriously pursue an active film career. Yet, it is ironic that in his though he faced the problem of being typecast as a upright hero like Luke Skywalker in live-action roles, Mark Hamill found that his successful career as an animation voice actor has typecast him as a player of flamboyant villains like the Joker in "Batman: The Animated Series" and also in Scooby Doo videos. His son, Nathan Hamill, played a Gungan in "Episode I: The Phantom Menace."

Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia Organa)
She married musician Paul Simon after 'Return of the Jedi' in '83, and divorced him soon after. Since then she has done quite a few roles in comedies such as "When Harry Met Sally", "Drop Dead Fred" and the soap opera spoof 'Soapdish'. More recently she had a cameo in the first 'Austin Powers' and was in the spoof-sequel 'Scream 3'.

Harrison Ford (Han Solo)
Of all those who appeared in the original Star Wars, he probably has had the most illustrious career since. From playing Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan in two films to the beloved Indiana Jones in another three, he was the first man to have $100 million+ blockbusters in four seperate decades!
Long way to go from Bob Falfa, the role he played in American Graffiti. We will see him again around 2005 doing Indiana Jones.

Peter Cushing (Grand Moff Tarkin)
Cushing had a LONG career pre-Star Wars, but a short one after it. He did very little work after his role as the creator of the Death Star, and passed away in August of 1994.

Alec Guiness (Obi-Wan Kenobi)
If Ford had the most illustrious career post-Star Wars, Guiness had enjoyed it before the saga began. After Star Wars and before his death in August of 1999, he had not done much work of note, except The Passage to India and Little Dorrit.

Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca)
The man behind the mask of that lovable Wookiee is a regular on the Star Wars convention circuit- and always a favorite there. He had briefly started a few businesses with the money from his films, but scrapped the plan in favor of the tour circuit.

Dave Prowse (Darth Vader- behind mask)
In my opinion, other than the role of Darth Vader, the most awesome role this man ever did was to play Hotblack Desiato's bodyguard in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy mini-series. Yes, it was British. Yes, maybe it was a bit cheesy. But it was Douglas Adams at his best.

Phil Brown (Uncle Owen Lars)
Believe it or not, this man was exiled to England by the House Un-American Activities Committee in '52. He came back to the US in '92 and has been there since. Iwas able to meet him last year at the Megacon convention here in Orlando, Florida. He is now paralized.

Shelagh Fraser (Aunt Beru Lars)
Our beloved Aunt Beru was killed by imperial stormtroopers on Tatooine. Shelagh Fraser passed away September of 1999.

Dennis Lawson (Wedge Antilles)
Trivia Question: Did Obi-Wan and Wedge Antilles ever meet? Answer: Wedge is Kenobi's uncle! That's right, Dennis Lawson, who played the only man to survive two successful attacks on the Death Star, is Ewan McGregor's uncle. Last i heard about him he was teaming up with Ewan for a film which was heading for production.

William Hootkins (Jek Porkins)
I had to include Porkins. I just had to! This man has been in a lot of small roles since Star Wars in films such as Batman, Raiders of the Lost Ark, A River Runs Through it, The Island of Dr. Moreau and The Never Ending Story III. I also met him last year at the Megacon convention. He is indeed a gentleman and a very friendly guy.

Richard Le Parmentier (Admiral Motti)
Small roles in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and Superman II; besides which he has recently entered the tour/convention circuit.
Another great actor which I also met. He is always ready for a "choking" pose for the camera.

James Earl Jones (Darth Vader- voice)
This man has leant his voice to everything. If there have been people in the past who's faces launched a thousand products; this man's voice has. From Mufasa in Disney's Lion King ("Simba, I am your father!") to CNN ("This is CNN"). From Fantasia 2000 to Verizon's ad campaign. Will we be able to hear his voice again for Episode II? He will definitely be lending hos voice for the third prequel installment.

Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian)
Did you know that this man was an accomplished artist before his acting career began? In fact, his work would sell for thousands. A lot of thousands! I remember him as Harvey Dent in Batman. More recently he was in the comedy 'The Ladies Man'.

Frank Oz (Yoda- voice & puppetry)
This man has always been the perpetual voice of the muppets; Grover, Bert, Elmo, Cookie Monster, Fozzie, Animal, Sam Eagle are all him. He has also directed quite a few comedies since Star Wars like "Bowfinger", "What About Bob?", "In & Out", "The Indian in the Cupboard" as well as the recently released on video and dvd "The Score" starring Robert de Niro and Edward Norton .
I'm not to sure if Frank will have any puppetering part for EP 2 and Yoda; seems this time our Jedi master is being completely turned into a computer generated imagine(CGI) but hopefully Frank's voice will be part of the second chapter of the prequel.

Well, this is as much as I can tell you for now about whatever happened to some of these great movie history makers.
If you know about the whereabouts of more of the cast and crew..Let us all know!

Deathstar

Visit vacation paradise!
Thanks Ishi, you did your homework on this. Excellent work!

Just might want to add that Alec Guiness was Knighted by Queen Eliz and is formally: Sir Alec Guiness. Also, correct me if I wrong, didn't Guiness win an Oscar for best actor in the movie: Bridge on the River Kwai?

Also, on Mark Hamill. Hamill made several B type movies that I can remember. Most of which were forgettable unfortunately. I have always liked Hamill and never understood just why he did not make it big in films. My best guess was his talent was one diamentional and did not have the versitility of other SW actors.
Wasn't he in Dudley Doright?

Carrie Fisher is also an established Writer. Her best seller is her autobio that explaines in part her trials & tribs during the making of SW

I admire James Earl Jones since his first film: Great White Hope, which he portrayed a HW Boxing Champion. I believe this was his first film, and man, was he thin back then.

Thanks again for an enjoyable post.

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
Yes, he did win an Oscar for such film and in fact he was knighted "Sir" by the queen of England.

Here is also a little anecdote to let everyone know just what type of man Sir Alec Guiness was.

In 1959 Sir Alec Guiness also played the main character along with Ernie Kovacs in a film named "Our man in Havana".

As you all know I'm from a Cuban origin and both of my parents were famous actors in Cuba. Well, getting to the point here, my father whom back them was starting his career as an actor in Cuba played one of the secondary rolls in this film, which was shot almost entirely in Havana, and got to meet in person Sir Alec Guiness. According to what my father has told me, Guiness was all for all a real English gentleman. He would spend long hours talking to other actors and crew members and getting to know them and treat them as friends.

In such film my father tells me, there was a certain take where the director wanted the lights to be pointing directly at the actor's left side which was in fact his bad profile.

Guiness had clearly explained to the director he was not in favor of such take but the director did not want to change it.

Well, to make a long story short, Alec Guiness made the scene be shot over 11 times, mispronouncing the words in his lines or just exaggerating his movements, after which the director switched the lights to focus more on Guiness' right side, his good profile. Needless to say after this, the scene was done in just one take.

This comes to show Guiness was in fact not only a great person, but also a very professional and demanding actor.

han solo

Friend of a Wookie
Didn't Guiness play a role in Docter shavago?(SP?)
I thought he played the role of a army sergent or somthing like that?

Redleader

New Recruit
The only other big movie I remember Mark Hamill playing in is The Big Red One......I don't like it to much because he's supposed to be a wimp in it.

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
O.k guys,
Let's take a look back in time at the film career of Sir Alec Guinness, one of Star Wars biggest names.

We'll begin with the very first film he made and we'll continue up to his last work. Also, we'll see whether his contribution to cinema history was offered by either acting or writing
Here is his complete filmography

..............ALEC GUINNESS/ OBI-WAN KENOBI

MOVIE/ YEAR/ CONTRIBUTION

"Great Expectations" 1946 actor

"Oliver Twist" 1948 actor

"Run your Money" 1949 actor

"Last Holiday" 1950 actor

"Kind Hearts and Coronets" 1950 actor

"Lavender Hill Mob" 1951 actor

"Man with the white suit" 1951 actor

"Promoter" 1952 actor

"Card" 1952 actor

"Malta Story" 1953 actor

"Captain's Paradise" 1954 actor

"Detective" 1954 actor

"To Paris with love" 1955 actor

"Ladykillers" 1955 actor

"Prisoner" 1955 actor

"Swan" 1956 actor

"Bridge on the River Kwai" : 1957 actor

This WW II film received EIGHT nominations and
won SEVEN OSCARS, including best picture, best director
and best actor given to Sir Alec Guiness. This was
his one big roll and only Oscar he obtained

"Horse's Mouth" 1958 actor/ screenwriter

This movie received a nomination for best screen
adaptation. It was also Guinnes only venture as
a screenwriter

"Tunes of Glory" 1960 actor

"Our man in Havana" 1960 actor

"Majority of One" 1961 actor

"Lawrence of Arabia" 1962 actor

"Damn the Defiant" 1962 actor

"Fall of the Roman Empire" 1964 actor

"Doctor Zhivago" 1965 actor

"Hotel Paradiso" 1966 actor

"Quiller Memorandum" 1966 actor

"Comedians" 1967 actor

"Cromwell" 1970 actor

"Scrooge" 1970 actor
"Hitler- The last ten days" 1973 actor

"Brother Sun, Sister Moon" 1973 actor

"Murder by Death" 1976 actor

"To see such fun" 1977 actor

"STAR WARS" 1977 ACTOR

"EMPIRE STRIKES BACK" 1980 ACTOR

"Little Lord Fauntleroy" 1980 actor

"Raise the Titanic" 1980 actor

"RETURN OF THE JEDI" 1983 ACTOR

"Lovesick" 1983 actor

"Edwin" 1984 actor

"Passage to India" 1984 actor

"Monsignor Quixote" 1988 actor

"Handful of dust" 1988 actor

"Little Dorrit" Part 1 "Nobody's Fault" 1988 actor

"Little Dorrit" Part 2 "Little Dorrit's Story" 1988 actor

"Kafka" 1992 actor

"Morecambe & Wise" 1993 actor

"Foreign Field" 1993 actor

"Mute Witness" 1995 actor

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
O.K Guys,
here is now Carrie Fisher's filmography, starting from her first to her last work. Carrie has starred, been featured and has offered cameo appearances in quite a good amount of films also.
Here she is:

"Groove Tube" 1972 star

"From Here to Maternity" 1972 Star

"Shampoo" 1975 Star

"STAR WARS" 1977 STAR

"Mike Douglas Show Vol. 1" 1977 Featured

"Mr. Mike's Mondo Video" 1979 Star

"EMPIRE STRIKES BACK" 1980 STAR

"Blues Brothers" 1980 Star

"Under the Rainbow" 1981 Star

"Faerie Tale Theatre - Thumbelina" 1983 Star

"RETURN OF THE JEDI" 1983 STAR

"Frankenstein" 1984 Star

"Garbo Talks" 1984 Star

"Man With One Red Shoe" 1985 Star

"Hollywood Vice Squad" 1986 Star

"Amazon Women on the Moon" 1987 Star

"She's Back" 1988 Star

"Paul Reiser - Out on a Whim" 1988 Star

"Appointment With Death" 1988 Star

"Burbs" 1989 Star

"Loverboy" 1989 Star

"When Harry Met Sally..." 1989 Star

"Time Guardian" 1989 Star

Sibling Rivalry 1990 Star

"Sweet Revenge" 1990 Star

"Drop Dead Fred" 1991 Star

"Soapdish" 1991 Star

"This Is My Life" 1992 Star

"Austin Powers: International 1997
Man of Mystery"

"Stars of Star Wars: Interviews from 1999 Featured
the Cast"

"Unauthorized Star Wars Story" 1999 Featured

"Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" 2001 Star

"These Old Broads" 2001 Star
"Lisa Picard is Famous" 2001 Cameo

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
It wouldn't be fair to leave another one of the greatest Star Wars actors out, without mentioning his contributions to show business.

Despite his car accident which damaged his face and required plastic surgery, Mark has greatly contributed to the entertainment industry lending his voice to many films, whether as a narrator, as a featured actor or as a star.

Here is Mark Hamill's filmography:

"Great Sci-Fi Thrillers" 2001 Star

"Balto 2: Wolf Quest" 2001 Voice

"Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" 2001 Star

"Batman Beyond - Return of the Joker" 2000 Voice

"Laserhawk" 1999 Star

"Sinbad: Beyond the Veil of Mists" 1999 Voice

"Scarefest Collector's Pack 1999 Star

"Night of the Headless Horseman" 1999 Voice

"Unauthorized Star Wars Story" 1999 Featured

"Stars of Star Wars: Interviews from 1999 Featured
the Cast"

"Super Structures of the World: 1998 Star
Eurotunnel"

"Super Structures of the World: 1998 Narrator
Skyscrapers"

"Super Structures of the World: 1998 Narrator
Seawolf"

"Batman Superman Movie" 1998 Voice

"Sci-Fi Files" 1998 Narrator

"Sci-Fi Files: The Children of 1998 Narrator
Frankenstein"

"When Time Expires" 1997 Star

"Laserhawk" 1997 Featured

"Adventures From the Book 1996 Voice
of Virtues Gift Set - V. 1-6"

"Midnight Ride" 1995 Star

"Village of the Damned" 1995 Star

"Silk Degrees" 1994 Star

"Raffle" 1994 Star

"Body Bags" 1993 Star

"Flash II, The - Revenge of 1993 Star
the Trickster"

"Sleepwalkers" 1992 Star

"Guyver" 1992 Star

"Time Runner" 1992 Star

"Black Magic Woman" 1991 Star

"Slipstream" 1989 Star

"RETURN OF THE JEDI" 1983 Star

"Night the Lights Went Out 1981 Star
in Georgia"

"Big Red One" 1980 Star

"EMPIRE STRIKES BACK" 1980 Star

"Corvette Summer" 1978 Star

"Wizards" 1977 Star/ Voice
"Mike Douglas Show Vol. 1" 1977 Featured

"STAR WARS" 1977 Star

"Eric" 1976 Star

"THE Partridge family: 1970 Star
C'mon Get Happy"

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
"... I want him alive", "... Luke, I'm your father", ".... impressive, most impressive... but you are not a Jedi yet!"

-Can you imagine any of this famous lines said by any other than James Earl Jones?

-Can you imagine these famous lines in the voice of Pee-Wee Herman?

-Can you imagine the voice behind the black evil mask being other than this magnificent actor?

-Would had Vader caused the same evil presence impression if his voice would had been other than this "Barry White" of acting?

The intention, the firmness and natural reciting of the lines in a script, along with the proper movement of an actor in a scene make the character being portrayed believeable.

Despite the fact James Earl Jones' image was not part of the film, his voice definitely gave the Darth Vader character the perfect touch to, along with his outfit, make him a realistic evil presence. Of course David Prowse's acting (just movement) incredibly contributed to such success.

Here is now James Earl Jones filmography from his most recent to his earliest work.

The actor who recently turned 70 has contributed to film making as a star, a featured actor, narrator, voice lending and host.

....................JAMES EARL JONES/ VADER

"Recess Christmas: 2001 Voice
Miracle on Third Street"

"Gloria: The Life of Christ" 2001 Host

"Black Indians: An American Story" 2000 Narrator

"Hunting of the Snark & Jabberwocky" 1999 Narrator

"Alone" 1999 Star

"Fantasia 2000" 1999 Host

"In Search of Liberty Bell 7" 1999 Narrator

"Undercover Angel" 1998 Star

"What the Deaf Man Heard" 1998 Star

"Undercover Angel" 1998 Star

"Our Friend Martin" 1998 Voice

"Summer's End" 1998 Star

"Lion King II: Simba's Pride" 1998 Voice

"Rebound" 1998 Star

"Small Steps, Big Strides: 1997 Featured
The Black Experience in Hollywood"

"Century of Black Cinema" 1997 Featured

"Shelley Duvall's Bedtime Stories 1997 Narrator
- Feature-Length Volume 2"

"Casper: A Spirited Beginning" 1997 Voice

"Second Civil War" 1997 Star

"Horton Foote's Alone (Greed)" 1997 Star

"Family Thing" 1996 Star

"Looking for Richard " 1996 Featured
"Good Luck" 1996 Star

"Timepiece" 1996 Star

"PEOPLE" 1995 Voice/ star
"The Making of Jurassic Park" 1995 Narrator
"Jefferson in Paris" 1995 Star

"Africa: The Serengeti" 1995 Voice

"Cry, the Beloved Country" 1995 Star

"Vernon Johns Story - 1994 Star
The Road to Freedom"

"Clean Slate" 1994 Star

"Lion King" 1994 Voice

"Clear and Present Danger" 1994 Star

"Bah! Humbug!" 1994 Star

"Meteor Man" 1993 Star

"Dream Rider" 1993 Star

"Sommersby" 1993 Star

"Excessive Force" 1993 Star

"Ambulance" 1993 Star

"Simpsons Trick or Treehouse 1992/ 94 voice
Vol. 1: Halloween"

"Percy and Thunder" 1992 Star

"True Identity" 1992 Star

"JFK Conspiracy" 1992 Featured
"Scorchers" 1992 Star

"Patriot Games" 1992 Star

"Shelley Duvall's Bedtime Stories - V. 6" 1992 Star

"Sneakers" 1992 Star

"Convicts" 1991 Star

"Hunt for Red October" 1990 Star

"Grim Prairie Tales" 1990 Star

"Heat Wave" 1990 Star

"Ivory Hunters" 1990 Star

"Last Flight Out" 1990 Star

"By Dawn's Early Light" 1990 Star
"Three Fugitives" 1989 Star

"JFK: The Day the Nation Cried 1989 Narrator
- November 22, 1963"

"Best of the Best" 1989 Star

"Insects - The Little Things That 1989 Featured
Run the World"

"Field of Dreams" 1989 Star

"Coming to America" 1988 Star

"Gardens of Stone" 1987 Star

"Matewan" 1987 Star

"My Little Girl" 1987 Star

"Allan Quatermain and the Lost 1986 Star
City of Gold"

"Soul Man " 1986 Star
"Vegas Strip War" 1984 Star

"Faerie Tale Theatre - 1984 Star
Aladdin and His Wonderful Lamp"

"Amy and the Angel" 1983 Star

"RETURN OF THE JEDI" 1983 VOICE
"Blood Tide" 1982 Star

"Conan the Barbarian" 1982 Star

"THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK" 1980 VOICE
"Paul Robeson" 1979 Featured
"Roots - The Next Generations - Ep. 7" 1978 Star

"Greatest " 1977 Star
"Jesus of Nazareth" 1977 Star

"Last Remake of Beau Geste" 1977 Star

"Piece of the Action" 1977 Star

"Exorcist 2 - The Heretic" 1977 Star

"STAR WARS" 1977 Voice
"River Niger" 1976 Star

"Swashbuckler" 1976 Star

"Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars 1976 Star
and Motor Kings

"Deadly Hero" 1975 Star

"King Lear" 1974 Star

"Great White Hope" 1970 Star

"End of the Road" 1970 Star

"Comedians" 1967 Star

Nightwing

New Recruit
you forgot that dave prowse was in A Clockwork Orange

As for kenny Baker, well, he's been in all types of films!! :p

The Star Wars films: 2002; 1999; 1983; 1980; 1977
Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: 1989(TV)
Willow: 1988
Labyrinth: 1986
Mona Lisa: 1986
Amadeus: 1984
Elephant Man: 1984
Time Bandits: 1981
Flash Gordon: 1980
Wombling Free(aaaaaahhhh...The Wombles!!): 1977(UK TV)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Time Bandits -

From Time Bandits
"If I were creating a world, I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils! I would've started with lazers, eight o'clock, day one." -Evil

Great Movie

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
Thanks for the info Nightwing. Althought I did mention David Prowse on my post relating to Darth Vader, it was in fact James Earl Jones who I was specifically aiming at.
David Prowse's work was not forgotten but rather not highlighted as part of the post.
Indeed his work is also greatly appreciated.

Nice quote Borsk ?????? ... Is it from Star Wars? :)