Watto's Lotto Question

Should Wato's Lotto be easier to win or should it be left alone?

• It's too hard... no one will ever win.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • It's fine the way it is.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Let's ride it a bit longer and if there is still no winner then we discuss changing it.

Votes: 23 67.6%

• Total voters

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
When we were creating the rules for Watto's Lotto, we were trying to create something that wouldn't be the easiest thing to win. We wanted the pot to grow so that it would be something exciting to win. We didn't want to have a winner each week or everyother week, just winning one or two figures. We do want to give away these figures and the intention was not to create something that was impossible to win.
So, my question to you... Do you think we should alter the rules to make it a little easier to win or do you like the way it is set up now?

jfrog2002

Sith Master
It seems a little hard but Powerball has proven that someone will win eventually. I had 2 of my numbers come up this last week. They were in the wrong order but it was promising anyway.

We could always stop adding new figures to the pot and allow multiple entries (say, up to 3) and see if someone wins.

Just my thoughts...
Joe

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Of course, I like the idea of the pot growing and growing but I do want someone to eventually win. I "think" the first step in making it easier would be to remove the rule that requires the numbers to be in the correct order. That would certainly increase the odds of winning quite a bit... maybe too much?
The staff and i can toss around some ideas, but any suggestions that anyone has will certainly be considered.
We want this to be fun. When we do have a winner, we'll start it over, probably from where it leaves off but if i can get the figures we can go all the way back to the beginning.

CoruscantCosta

Ewok Cheif
Yeah. In the real lottery, the numbers don't have to be in the same order. So why are they in wattos lotto?

But i guess since there are only 3 numbers, it might increase the odds too much.

I think its fine the way it is

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
in a pick 3 lottery, the numbers have to be in the correct order... at least in my state

Guttersnipe

New Recruit
I have been one number out in the correct sequence three times now.
I think it should stay as it is, someone will win it eventually.

Hopefully me:)

Rancisis

Jedi Trainer
Leave it as it is, it's quite fun guesing...
Just one little question. Can the same order of numbers be picked twice?
Let me explain what I mean, the winning numbers from week #1 where 634, is it possible that 634 would be the winning numbers for week #20 ?

darkside449

New Recruit
I THINK IT SHOULD STAY THE SAME; THE BIGGER THE PRIZE THE BETTER THE WIN! I HAVE ONE QUESTION, WHERE ARE THE WINNING NUMBERS POSTED EACH WEEK? I CAN NEVER FIND THEM
I MUST BE BLIND! THANKS.

Rancisis

Jedi Trainer
Winning numbers are posted on the same thread as where you post your numbers.
So you should see them at the last age of every weeks contest...

CaptainAlex

Beach Bum
This is a fun contest. I say let it ride for another few months because the pot is getting so big that whoever wins is going to win big. Eventually someone will win. I was off by one number in week two.
-Alex

Obi-Dad

New Recruit
I say let it ride. I, too, was off by just one number one week. I would love to see someone win a huge pot, especially if it's me! Now, if this same pot is still growing in 2004, maybe we should reopen this discussion.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
the same number sequence could come up more than once. We just use a random number generator to get the numbers, so there's no logic in which numbers will come up.

Cyber Fett

New Recruit
I also think the numbers should not have to be in the correct order to win. That will make it alittle easier but still the luck of the draw.

Darth Dug

New Recruit
Is there a time limit for this? I might suggest keeping it the same until a predetermined time, then removing the "order" rule. Then, have a drawing each week until a winner is drawn. Then you can start it over with 2003 Saga figures ;)

leejoejayp

New Recruit
I think you guys should leave it the way it is. Let it grow until theres a winner and start it over again. Since its only 3 numbers it should be in sequence, If it were 4 or more I would say any order. My 2 cents.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
there is no time limit at this point. I have all of the figures for this contest up to the new yoda and destroyer with one exception... ephant mon, but I'm sure he'll turn up by the time we get that far.

I appreciate everyone's comments and welcome any other thoughts. I wasn't sure how the contest was seen from the players stand point but it seems that most people feel the same way as I do. We'll let it ride for a while longer and then either change the rules to make it easier or ask this question again and see how everyone feels at that point.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I also would like it to grow a little longer. However, the odds of winning are immense. If I'm not mistaken:

Odds are 1 in 720 any given entry will win. Assuming 50 unique entries each week, that's barely a 7% chance of someone winning.

As I see it, there are two ways to increase the odds:
1. Reduce the numbers (i.e. 1-9, or 1-8, instead of 0-9)
2. Get rid of the correct order requirement.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Reducing the numbers increases odds incrementally.
10 numbers has odds of 1 : 720
9 has odds of 1 : 504
8 has odds of 1 : 336
7 has odds of 1 : 210
etc.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Now, keeping 10 numbers, but in any order, the odds change drastically. I'm embarrassed to say I don't remember how to compute those odds correctly, but no number being picked twice complicates things. My various failed attempts at calculating this come up with odds of roughly 1:120 and 1:30.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Regardless, if you took away the order requirement, I think you would have a winner within a 2 weeks.

If you reduce the numbers used, you will increase the chances of winning without guaranteeing an instant win.

I think taking away the order requirement with only 3 numbers to choose from would be a bad idea. If you take way the order requirement then you need to make it 4 or 5 numbers to choose from.