UK premiere of 'Revenge Of The Sith'

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
UK fans cheer Star Wars premiere

The final Star Wars film has had its UK premiere with thousands of fans lining the red carpet at the end of a "Star Wars day" in London's Leicester Square. About 5,000 people braved the rain to cheer their heroes, with some having waited more than 24 hours.

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith completes the six-film series director George Lucas began in 1977.

Other events included a marathon of all six movies and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra playing the score on stage.

"It's the end of an era - 30 years I've been doing this," Mr Lucas said.

He praised the London fans for being "much louder" than those at its Cannes Film Festival premiere on Sunday.

"[In Cannes] they were standing in the sun when it was really beautiful and these guys are standing out there in the rain so I give them more credit," he said.

"I'm very relieved that the film is finished and it's one film now instead of six.

"This is the first place where it's all shown as one film - I don't recommend doing it in one day though. Maybe spread it over six weeks."

But 1,300 dedicated fans did sit through all six films back-to-back in the movie marathon on Monday.

Those fans missed the action on the red carpet - but Mr Lucas gave them a surprise appearance near the end of the marathon to chants of "three more films".

Other cinemas in Leicester Square showed individual films from the Star Wars saga.

The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra performed the iconic soundtrack on a specially-constructed stage while children had their faces painted as Star Wars characters.

Fans also posed for photographs with Stormtroopers and a full-sized X-Wing fighter in the square.

The most fervent followers set up camp on Sunday afternoon to ensure they had the best spots on the red carpet.

Actor Hayden Christensen, whose character Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader in the final film, described their support as "dedication at its finest".

And Christopher Lee, who plays Count Dooku, said: "They're very dedicated people and I'm sure this film will be everything they expect it to be.

"I'm looking forward to seeing it too, I haven't seen it."

Other big names at the premiere included Ewan McGregor, who plays Obi-Wan Kenobi, veteran British star Cliff Richard and singing siblings Daniel and Natasha Bedingfield.

But some cast members who were in Cannes, including Natalie Portman and Samuel L Jackson, did not travel to London. And some fans complained that the actors in London did not spend enough time signing autographs and talking to supporters.

"I like the films but it just seems like they've forgotten about the fans," said Phil Bolger, 25, from Luton, Bedfordshire, who had been queuing since 0700. "At the end of the day, we're the reason they can make the films in the first place. The ones we were waiting for didn't sign anything."

Sarah Elliott, 18, from Guildford, Surrey, added: "A lot of people have gone off in disgust. It's not exactly the best publicity you could get."

Mr Lucas spent the most time greeting the crowd, fans said.

"George Lucas was a legend because he came up and down three times," according to Alan Mandell from Reading, Berkshire.

The film is released around the world on Thursday.

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
Pics from the UK premiere:

Attachments

• uk_ep3_premiere.jpg
    uk_ep3_premiere.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 182
  • uk_ep3_premiere2.jpg
    uk_ep3_premiere2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 216
  • uk_ep3_premiere3.jpg
    uk_ep3_premiere3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 181
  • vaderpremiere.jpg
    vaderpremiere.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 179
  • UKprem.jpg
    UKprem.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 182

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
More UK premiere pics:

Attachments

• UK_prem_hayden.jpg
    UK_prem_hayden.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 194
  • UK_prem_kennybaker.jpg
    UK_prem_kennybaker.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 189
  • UK_prem_petermayhew.jpg
    UK_prem_petermayhew.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 183
  • UKvader.jpg
    UKvader.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 188

Nightwing

New Recruit
wookiee_cookiee said:
Other big names at the premiere included veteran British star Cliff Richard and singing siblings Daniel and Natasha Bedingfield.
ugh! no wonder the fans were in disgust!