TWO Star Wars TV Shows Lucas Announces!

Jedi_Joel

Agent
Lucas just confirmed at C3 not one, but TWO Star Wars TV shows! One a 3-D animated series, the other a live-action series
The biggest news for fans was Lucas confirming rumors that his sci-fi saga will make the jump to the small screen. The animated 3-D, 30-minute series is based on the popular Star Wars: Clone Wars shorts now airing on Cartoon Network.

The live-action show will feature new characters from the Star Wars universe. Lucas said shooting will begin in about a year. Lucas said he will create and launch the show. But he then plans to step back and move on to non-Star Wars projects.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Rats! You beat me to it.

Here's a bit more detail from ComingSoon/net ...

George Lucas on the Star Wars Franchise
"Star Wars" creator/writer/director George Lucas made his guest appearance at "Celebration III" this morning at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis and he talked about the franchise. About 9,000 fans had been lined up since midnight for a chance to see Lucas talk.

The event was hosted by actor Jay Laga'aia, who played Captain Typho in "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith," though Lucas funnily made a mistake saying he thought Laga'aia played a Clone Trooper.

Lucas confirmed that they are working on two TV series. One will be a 3-D computer animated series and the other is a live action series. The live action series will star some of the characters featured in the movies, though not the main characters. Lucas will kick-off the series himself. They are planning on writing the entire series and then shoot the series all at once. He mentioned Lucasfilm is aiming for a production start in about a year.

Also, George Lucas said that the "Star Tours" thrill ride at Disney-MGM Studios will be getting an overhaul soon. And he confirmed they are working on bringing the early 90's TV series The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles to DVD as well.

:)

Stevetrooper

Galactic Groundpounder
Awesome! I wonder which "movies" the characters in the live action show will be from. Hopefully the original trilogy but I doubt it. (except for R2 and 3PO who are a shoe in.)The computer animated one sounds cool too. (I wonder which time frame that is as well.) It looks like we will be set for action figure material for many years to come!

Jedi_Joel

Agent
Stevetrooper said:
Awesome! I wonder which "movies" the characters in the live action show will be from. Hopefully the original trilogy but I doubt it. (except for R2 and 3PO who are a shoe in.)The computer animated one sounds cool too. (I wonder which time frame that is as well.) It looks like we will be set for action figure material for many years to come!
The CGI one sounds like it's a continuation of the Clone Wars series.

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
Well having just visited the Star Tours ride in Florida and hoping to see the AT AT outside, i was dissapointed. its been removed. So i guess the overhaul is not that far away.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
TheForce.net has posted this brief recap of the live-action TV show details ...

C3: Star Wars TV Show Info Recap
Here's what we've been told officially about the upcoming live-action TV series from Lucasfilm.
  • 100 episodes
  • 1 hour each
  • based on a spinoff character
  • Lucas will direct first season
  • write season one at one time
  • film season one at one time
  • takes place between ROTS and ANH

I don't know where they got "100 episodes" - probably something George Lucas said at C3, but 100 episodes would be more than one season. :)

Jedi_Joel

Agent
Buzz Bumble said:
TheForce.net has posted this brief recap of the live-action TV show details ...

I don't know where they got "100 episodes" - probably something George Lucas said at C3, but 100 episodes would be more than one season. :)

Ya, they said they'd like to do 100 episodes, but I have a feeling it'll all depend upon ratings. Also, Lucas was going to let someone else take over it after season one so he can pursue other non-SW stuff.

Jedi Freezeman

Infiltrator
I didn't actually attend the George Lucas session (since I was in a line waiting to get the show exclusive Darth Vader. Thought they did come around saying there was room for anyone who wanted to go. Only a handful of people took them up on it. Get that, Lucas vs. a 3 3/4" piece of plastic and the plastic figure wins...)

Anyways... I digress... I had heard that they would film all 100 episodes at once, then release them in seasons.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Filming and editing 100 hour-long episodes is going to take a little bit of time. If George Lucas starts next year as planned (and that's the writing phase!), you can expect to see the first episode in about 2025. ;)

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
i was in the first Q&A with Lucas and i don't recall anything about 100 episodes being mentioned, so that must have been said in one of the other sessions. i did get the impression that lucas would write the entire first season but i was not left with the impression that he would direct the entire 1st season. from what i recall, he said he would get it started and then pass it off. perhaps he meant after the first season, but that's not how i took it.

skellington and borsk were in the same session as i was ... maybe their memory is a bit better.