The Worst Movie Ever

Barada

Saboteur
The English Patient is brilliant

Possibly, but it couldn't keep me awake long enough to find out ;)

And Oz as one of the worst ever? Come on - I'm not a huge fan of it, but for a movie made in the 1930's, it has extraordinary FX, very likeable characeters, and an original story. It is among the greatest fantasy films ever made, bar none.

I will agree with Titanic though. Beyond it being a marvel to watch during the actual sinking scenes, the story and acting were flat.

Barada

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Originally posted by Nightwing
I forgot to include The Wizard of Oz in this list

try listening to Dark Side of the Moon while you watch it:eye: :eye:

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
I think we're heading back into 'over-rated' territory here. While many of the movies mentioned are indeed bad, for some they have one or two redeeming features.

For 'worst movies ever' we have to talk about :-

no plot

gut-wrenching acting

not-so-special effects

awful directing

pathetic cutting

etc etc....

Go watch Gov Arnie (over dubbed ) in 'Hercules in New York' and you'll see what I mean. Most of the movies mentioned so far are marvelous works by comparison :hurl:

Nightwing

New Recruit
Originally posted by Darth Boru

For 'worst movies ever' we have to talk about :-

not-so-special effects

how about too many special effects(T2), which also feature a plot that looks like it was made up by a 2 year old

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
while we're on arnold ....... that Last Action Hero movie really stunk up the place.

Zepp

Interstellar Buccaneer
Originally posted by chris solo
What was that awful fututre movie with Sandra Bullock, Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes?

Demolition Man...

I noticed a trend here. I'm sure that there are alot of movies worse than the ones listed here, but the ones listed here, other than Titannic, had a decent story but blew the execution... So even if the movie blows if the story is good people will remember it...

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Demolition Man wasn't great but I wouldn't say it's a terrible movie.

I'll go ahead and suggest Teen Wolf Too as a truely awful movie.

Barada

Saboteur
how about too many special effects(T2), which also feature a plot that looks like it was made up by a 2 year old

Nightwing, you're way off on this one :toed:

There is a reason why ILM won the Academy Award for F/X on this one. The CG work, especially on the T-1000, was amazing and completely revolutionized the industry.

As for plot, while it may not have been the most complicated in the world, there are far worse than this. Certainly not worthy of the 2-year old comment.

It makes many fave movies ever lists, and deservedly so. Definitely among the best Arnie ever did.

Perhaps you mistyped and meant to say T3? ;)

Barada

Nightwing

New Recruit
I can't stand it when specal effects are more important than the story. That is exactly what happened in the case of T2

yes the fx were groundbreaking, but a crap film is still a crap film if it doesn't have a story. You can dress it up until the cows come home(which is basically what Cameron did). It doesn't change the facts.

Barada

Saboteur
Personally I think T2 was well done. Aside from the FX, it took the story beyond your average rehashed sequel by having the target changed, the switch from helpless female to strong woman lead, and having the original Terminator as a reprogrammed cyborg.

There were some brilliant plays on social customs seen when trying to teach him how to smile, to not kill when unnecessary, and to use popular sayings from the early 90's.

Furlong and Schwarzennegar may not have had Oscar worthy performances, but they had an onscreen chemistry absent from most films of this type.

I still think you're wrong about this one Nightwing. Even most critics refer to it as a classic.

Barada

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I think T2 was the best of the three but it doesn't work w/o the first one.

Nightwing

New Recruit
they refer to it as a classic because they look back on it and think of the T1000 and the groundbreaking effects.

Nothing can beat the original.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I've been avoiding this thread, mainly because I didn't have the spare time to paricipate. However, I made the mistake of reading it and have to put in my two cents :p

First off, there are several categories of Bad Movies:

Bad in a good way - Cheesy (i.e. B movies you can MST3K to)
Bad in a over-rated way (any big budget mediocrity-subject to personal opinion)
Personally bad (i.e. simply not your type of movie)
Bad in a bad way (it blows) :D
Bad in an Action Movie way ( a hybrid of Cheesy and Mediocre, usually the result of flaws in story, acting, effects, budget, or all of the above)

When I lived in New Orleans, I attended a couple of the New Orleans Worst Film Festivals- roughly 12 hours straight of b-movies. Good fun all around :)

I consider Flash Gordon a modern B-Movie, done intentionally in a retro campy style, that is true to the comic strips.

I thought Batman and Robin (the 4th one) blew. (it also sucked in an Action way and an Over-rated way). Being generous, it might have been intended to be cheesy in homage to the tv series. But that lofty goal was.....ahem....missed.

Well, thats all the time I have to debate this. Movies are gresat subjects of discussion, but also have a tendency to be endless and repeat themselves. Stay back! I won't let you suck me in!
;)

Technically, I did enjoy Flash Gordon. The Queen soundtrack was great. I brought it up to start the ball rolling on this thread and it got people motivated to reply and have a topic to debate.

Evil Dead was a bad movie you loved to hate.

I really hate any movie where two people switch bodies, twins switch places and somebody that looks like somebody else becomes a temporary King, rock star, or FBI agent.