starwars.com Homing Beacon #89

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
041703.beacon.jpg

071003.beacon.jpg

Though Bruce Spence knows only the basic details of his character in Episode III, he does consider himself fortunate to be invited into the Star Wars saga.
«
"It was just fortuitous that the offer came up," says Spence. "Being that it's a small role, I often don't do them. But having finished my work on Peter Pan, I was available, and I could fit it in. I'm only too happy to be involved."
«
Described as a "helpful alien," Spence has already undergone a lifecast for the Episode III Creature Shop to begin working on the prosthetic makeup that will transform him into an otherworldly being. Creature Shop Creative Supervisor Dave Elsey was eager to work with Spence's distinctive countenance, as he almost had a chance to during his time on "Farscape."
«
"Bruce Spence was once a possibility to play the character of Scorpius, but that didn't happen," says Elsey. "Some time later, he did come on the show, only he ended up playing a character that didn't need makeup."
«
With his upcoming appearance in Episode III, Bruce Spence has managed to appear in the final chapters of the three biggest trilogies in production right now. He plays the role of the Trainman in The Matrix: Revolutions and will be the Mouth of Sauron in The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.
«
"It's a bit wild," he says. "It's interesting, because they're all similar stories. As Joseph Campbell explained, it all goes back to mythological epics. I'm making different contributions to each film. Though I think the least substantial constribution will be Episode III, I just regard myself as being lucky. After all, being in show business, I think a lot of it is luck."