Star Wars Video Games

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Time to call in the lawyers. It looks like someone over at UGO.com stole your idea darthskelington ...
Star Wars: A Video Games Saga
December 2004 saw the latest release in a long line of Star Wars related video games. As a sequel to one of 2003’s top role playing games, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords has made a lot of Xbox owners and RPG fans very happy. In honor of KOTOR II’s release and in anticipation of May’s Revenge of the Sith movie event, we take a look at the long history of interactive Star Wars entertainment, complete with all of its highs and lows.
The article continues here.

:)

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Somebody mentioned Xwing v Tie Fighter on the PC games lists. I'm pretty sure there was originally a title called 'Tie Fighter' that started this line, and/or possibly 'xwing' too. Anyone able to shed light on this dusty memory?

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Yep. In roughly the order of release the "X-wing" series of games is ...
  • X-Wing
  • X-wing: Imperial Pursuit (add-on)
  • X-Wing: B-wing (add-on)
  • TIE Fighter
  • TIE Fighter: Defender of the Empire (add-on)
  • TIE Fighter: Enemies of the Empire (add-on)
  • X-Wing vs TIE Fighter
  • X-Wing Alliance
  • Rogue Squadron 3D
  • Rogue Squadron 2: Rebel Strike (or was that Rogue Squadron 3?)
  • Battle for Naboo
  • Starfighter
I think that's all, but there's probably a couple missing.

I'm not sure about the Windows PC versions, but the Mac versions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter are "Collectors Editions" that include the add-ons. :)

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Not all of those had a PC version, wish they did. Really liked Rogue Squadron, but I never happened across a PC version of the sequels :(

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Nope, there was no PC (or Mac) version of the Rogue Squadron sequels. They were "games console only" titles ... I think one or both were actually "GameCube only" titles (I'm waiting for the emulator to work).

It's similar to what happens with the EU stories - some stories are only available in the comics even though the novels may make a reference to those events. :(

JediSearch

S.C.A.L.P. Special Ops
Buzz Bumble said:
It's similar to what happens with the EU stories - some stories are only available in the comics even though the novels may make a reference to those events. :(
Quite frustrating indeed...

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Ah....but some of those comics are available as audio-books, often with a full cast. :) Of course, the audio books are often difficult to find, and expensive, and usually only available on cassette :( Anyhoo, that's why you buy and read both comics and novels :D

JediSearch

S.C.A.L.P. Special Ops
Buzz Bumble said:
Nope, there was no PC (or Mac) version of the Rogue Squadron sequels. They were "games console only" titles ... I think one or both were actually "GameCube only" titles (I'm waiting for the emulator to work).

Also, don't forget -- the Gameboy games that are officially part of the story. I wonder if anybody has completely kept up with the entire story across all the different delivery platforms... I can't imagine being able to shell out the $$$ for all the different media, game consoles and games, etc... I have just focused on the Books - first, PC Games - second, and Playstation 2 games - third. I haven't even touched the comics or any of the other gaming systems.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
With a bit of time off over Christmas, I've been getting a go at Battlefront. Thought I was doing okay until I went online and got COMPLETELY slaughtered :banghead:

Anyone had this trouble? I know its probably just me getting my keyboard and mouse hands muddled (ol' fart here), or is there some little trick in the settings to make the mouse aiming a little easier?

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Playing shooters with the mouse takes some getting used to. I used to only use the keyboard - using the mouse is definately the way to go. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be much more effective.

You should still be using the keyboard for movement, the mouse is for aiming your weapon, firing, jumping and switching weapons (at least the way I do it).

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Made a bit of progress on this. Discovered that if you play the game at a lower resolution (I was on the highest) it makes aiming quite a bit easier. Still losing out to 12 year olds with reflexes, but not getting embarassingly thrashed anymore :)

JediSearch

S.C.A.L.P. Special Ops
Darth Boru said:
Made a bit of progress on this. Discovered that if you play the game at a lower resolution (I was on the highest) it makes aiming quite a bit easier. Still losing out to 12 year olds with reflexes, but not getting embarassingly thrashed anymore :)
Another thing to consider is your graphics card. High end graphics cards make a big difference in these types of games. Someone with a better graphics card than you will usually see you before you see them.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
I'm pretty much sorted with the graphics card, 256mb nvidia. That turned out to be partially the problem. It is capable of showing the in game motion at maximum resolution and that just made things a little too small and therefore harder to successfully target.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
JediSearch said:
Someone with a better graphics card than you will usually see you before you see them.

Definitely true in the outdoor maps, especially in trees. A better graphics card make it easier to pick out a target. Having said that, 'sweeping' with the mouse helps as targets at extreme range will still change the crosshair colours.

JediSearch

S.C.A.L.P. Special Ops
Darth Boru said:
I'm pretty much sorted with the graphics card, 256mb nvidia. That turned out to be partially the problem. It is capable of showing the in game motion at maximum resolution and that just made things a little too small and therefore harder to successfully target.
Ok, well then - as I envy your video card... :banghead:
Cheers and Happy Gaming to you!

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Nice card or not - I still get whooped by kids :(

It is a pretty great game though, not distracted by storylines and silly puzzles ;)

JediSearch

S.C.A.L.P. Special Ops
Darth Boru said:
Nice card or not - I still get whooped by kids :(

It is a pretty great game though, not distracted by storylines and silly puzzles ;)
Yeah, well... those kids just have that "hand / eye coordination" thing down. Maybe there is a technical explanation for it... hmmm. Shorter distance between hand/brain. Not as far for the information to travel, plus they have the latest and greatest nervous system too, more throughput, Just a thought.