Star Wars Spin-Offs Authorised by Lucas?

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
100103.maul.jpg

episodeX is reporting that the October issue of the biggest german movie magazine Cinema reads the following (p.22):
«
Solo-project for Darth Maul
«
“Star Wars” creator George Lucas seems to have given his O.K. for spin-offs of his sci-fi-saga. First up will be the martial-arts expert Darth Maul from “Episode 1” wielding his double-bladed lightsaber in his own film.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Geez, I hope not.

Can you imagine anything worse than a Star Wars movie not done by George Lucas? The style would be totally different and ill-fitting (like some of the novels). They'd simply be cash-in exercises. :(

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Wasn't the Holiday Special the one and only time non-Lucas directed SW made it onto a screen of any kind? I thought GL himself hated it sooooo much that anything like it would never be authorised again.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
There's also the cartoon shows Ewoks, Droids and Clone Wars, but I'm not sure what sort of control George Lucas had/has over those, other than the obvious final Yes or No.

Barada

Saboteur
Don't forget the two Ewok TV movies. I don't remember the individual titles, but talking Ewoks scare me.

Barada

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Yep, but the Ewok movies were done by LucasFilm, were under George Lucas's control and (I think) written by him too.
  • Ewoks: Caravan of Courage
    Ewoks: Battle for Endor
Over here in back-of-nowhere-land (and some other places) both the Ewok movies were released as theatre movies. :)

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
As far as I am aware, this is only a rumor and there has been no official confirmation. I will continue to look for any info that would confirm or deny.

Zepp

Interstellar Buccaneer
Originally posted by Darth Boru
Wasn't the Holiday Special the one and only time non-Lucas directed SW made it onto a screen of any kind? I thought GL himself hated it sooooo much that anything like it would never be authorised again.

Irvin Kershner directed Empire and Richard Marquand directed Jedi, and I think they made it to the Big Screen in most countries...

for TV Movies (released in the cinemas in countries with more sheep than people Baaaaaaa...) John Korty directed The Ewok Adventure aka Caravan of Courage aka The Ewok Movie Jim & Ken Wheat directed Ewoks and the Marauders of Endor aka Ewoks II: The Battle for Endor

as far as the cartoons, those also were directed by Steve Binder (Holiday Special), Raymond Jafelice and Dale Schott (Ewoks), Ken Stephenson (Droids) and Genndy Tartakovsky (Clone Wars)

out of the mass of visual materials George has only directed three of the five major motion pictures... the best Star Wars Movie wasn't even directed by him...

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
George Lucas may not have directed them all, but he DID write and produce all the movies (including the Ewok ones), although I'm not sure about the cartoon shows ... BUT, this "given his O.K. for spin-offs" wording is worrying. It sounds like George Lucas won't have any control, other than Yes or No.

That would mean these spin-offs would be written, directed and produced by others, which could very easily be a disasterous mess as these others think that they know how to do Star Wars better than him. :(

Zepp

Interstellar Buccaneer
I would figure he is planning on producing them or being involved on some level since his galaxy is at risk with everything that comes out...

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
When I originally said 'directed', that was a lip of the keyboard, or more correctly - the lazy way out.

What Buzz said is more what I meant. The holiday special was about the only occassion when GL was not in control of what went on. Obviously the result was a disaster of monumental proportions that nobody, least of all Lucas himself, wants to see repeated.

If there are spin offs coming down the line, then I reckon we can bet on him being significantly more involved than he was on the infamous HS. Jedi pausing in battle for a song just doesn't bear thinking about, nor does the possibility of Darth Maul suddenly doing a ballet sequence.......

........or does it???

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
The other time that Star Wars has been on the little screen is of course the Muppet Show episode, which again was probably out of his direct control. :)

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
At least that was watachable without a sick bag.

Not sure that GL had no say in the Muppet episode anyway. He at least had some comfort in knowing that Frank Oz had considerable influence within the show ( Miss Piggy, Fozzie etc) and might have wanted to continue working as Yoda :D

Zepp

Interstellar Buccaneer
In Star Wars Insider Park talked about wanting to return as Darth Maul... coincidence?

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Gotta say a spin off featuring Ray Park as Darth Maul would definitely be something that would generate serious interest, mine for a start!

Here's hoping that if it happens, its up to at least the usual standard.

Barada

Saboteur
That's a mixed blessing Boru, as some people (not me fyi) feel that the prequels 'standards' are not very good.

Barada

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
I have to agree. At times they left a lot to be desired (especialy whenever a certain JJB was on screen!), but 'at least' would be basement level.

In any analysis, even the prequels rate as masterpeices when compared to the HS.......

Zepp

Interstellar Buccaneer
The thing about making a Darth Maul movie is you'd almost have to make it where the bad guy wins, which is not Lucas' style...

also you couldn't have any of the Jedi that we've seen, and they couldn't have any Jedi see him and survive... unless you want to have a battle between Dooku and Maul, and I'm sorry, but Dooku would win...