'Star Wars' on DVD: Special editions only

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
The movies that DVD fans have longed for more than any other, the original Star Wars trilogy, finally arrive Sept. 21.
«
With added scenes and a fourth disc that includes a full-length documentary on the making of the movies, the trilogy is expected to be one of the top-selling DVD titles ever.
«
But some die-hard followers are certain to blast Lucas and 20th Century Fox for not including the original theatrical versions of the movies in the collection.
«
In 1997, Lucas rereleased special editions of all three Star Wars films —Episode IV: A New Hope (1977), Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983) — in theaters. Each film had technological tweaking and added footage.
«
Those are the versions that will appear on the DVDs.
«
"The original versions technically don't exist," says Lucasfilm's Jim Ward, who is the project's executive producer. "(Lucas) wanted to represent the films as they exist in his mind, and that's the special-editions versions."
«
That will distress a small but vocal minority of fans who have held out hope — expressed in online petitions and Star Wars Internet chat forums — that Lucas might include the originals on DVD.
«
"The general public won't mind, but anybody who is a real fan of the films will," says Doug Pratt, who publishes DVDLaser.com and the DVD Laser Disc Newsletter.
«
Sure to be especially galling to Star Wars stalwarts is that Fox, in last year's Alien Quadrilogy DVD set, included multiple versions of Alien films. "It would be a shame if they didn't take advantage of that technology," Pratt says.
«
In addition to the fourth disc's full-length documentary, each movie disc will include commentaries from Lucas and members of the cast.
«
Fox and Lucasfilm are discussing whether to release a collector's edition and a full-frame version, says Fox's Steven Feldstein.
«
usatoday.com

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
They can make more money by selling 2 different DVD sets...

I still think the other version will come in time.

Jedi Daniel

Geek Jedi
I think the original trilogy will be released again in the future with the prequel movies as a 6 movie Box Set and the original trilogy will have both versions available.

I can't see the problem why both versions aren't available because it will generate more money. Oh well I'd be happy with either the original or the SE's personally.

Zepp

Interstellar Buccaneer
I found some original tapes at a used video sale a couple of weeks ago. I can live with videos, but I will not buy SE DVDs... I do not like them Sam I am...

Nightwing

New Recruit
I still wonder why people bother with full-frame vewrsions :rolleyes:

I am still gonna wait until the box set of all six films comes out

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
the official site updated with this .......

The most requested films for the DVD format will finally become a reality this September as Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox present the eagerly-awaited Star Wars Trilogy for the ultimate home entertainment format. The four-disc collection will be released on September 21 in the U.S. and Canada, with international release dates following closely.
"We know how long fans have waited for this release and how much they have been looking forward to it, so everyone has been working overtime to make sure that the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD is an awesome experience," said Jim Ward, Vice President of Marketing and Distribution for Lucasfilm Ltd. and the DVD collection's Executive Producer.

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi will be available in a four-disc set that includes a bonus disc filled with all-new special features -- including the most comprehensive feature-length documentary ever produced about the Star Wars saga and never-before-seen footage from the making of all three films. Each of the three films in the Star Wars Trilogy has been digitally restored and re-mastered by THX for superior sound and picture quality.

"First and foremost, the DVDs will deliver the very best possible sound and picture and take advantage of everything the medium can offer. On top of that, we are creating added-value material that gets inside the creation of the Star Wars films in a fresh and fun way," Ward said. "We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the movies for the first time."

The films of the Star Wars Trilogy will be available exclusively as a collection and will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX. All three films are closed-captioned and subtitled in English, French and Spanish in the U.S. Internationally, sound and subtitling specifications will vary by territory.

Keep checking starwars.com over the coming months for more specific details about the content of this must-own DVD set.

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/futurefilms/News.asp?FID=9758&NID=15578&ISN=1

Star Wars Comes To DVD

Oh happy, happy day!

That's it: cancel your birthday, tear up those tickets to Hawaii and tell your partner that this year's anniversary will just have to fall by the wayside. There's only one date that matters this year and it is September 21.

We've waited (oh, how we've waited), we've cursed, we've begged, we've prayed to the gods and finally all our wishes have come true: the original Star Wars trilogy has received its release date at last. Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi will finally join your collection in glorious anamorphic widescreen with digital sound that will have you duck as the TIE fighters soar overhead.

The collection will see three discs for the three films with a fourth disc expected to include a new documentary on the series as well as unseen footage, and other bonus materials.

This announcement comes as a particularly pleasant surprise given that George Lucas originally planned to wait until Episode III was ready for DVD before releasing the originals. The only question you might ask is whether the DVD release will be the theatrical cuts or the 1997 Special Editions. We'd have to say that it's likely to be neither. Lucas has filmed a number of extra scenes in the last few years, all for insertion into the first three films. We imagine that this will be complimented with much of the additional CGI that populated the Special Editions but let's hope that some of the 97 tweaks - Greedo shooting first, for example - are left on the cutting room floor.

The films won't be sold individually but this box set will be such an essential purchase that does anyone really care?

Altogether now: 'buh-buh-buh-buuuh baaaah, buh-buh-buh-baaaah baaaah'.

Nightwing

New Recruit
Originally posted empire(via WK)

The collection will see three discs for the three films with a fourth disc expected to include a new documentary on the series as well as unseen footage, and other bonus materials.
That's wrong for starters: they should follow the Alien route: one DVD per film containing the theatrical version and the special edition version, then another disc for extras per film and finally, a bonus disc.

The films won't be sold individually but this box set will be such an essential purchase that does anyone really care?
given time, they will be sold seperately.[/b][/quote]

Altogether now: 'buh-buh-buh-buuuh baaaah, buh-buh-buh-baaaah baaaah'.
No no, no! It's "Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars, gimme them Star Wars, don't let them end . . ." God bless Bill Murray :p