Star Wars Novel

Dark Jedi

Banned
I am thinkning of spending some time each day for next few years or Months or however long it takes on writing a Star Wars novel, however I am not sure what I will do for the story and need a bit of help, and I decided to ask a favor from the biggest Star Wars fans I know, you guys, so any suggestions should be posted in here and I may stick 'em in there at some point, if TBS is still around by the time it is finished (probably within a year or so) wich I think Iit will, I will post a link to it somewhere and you can tell me what you think, that won't be for a while though. Anyways, here are some main points I am going to stick to...

-Takes place at least 10 years after ROTJ

-Setting is Luke Skywalker's jedi academy on Yavin IV

-will feature characters from the original trilogy and may mention Darth Vader at some point

-Imperial Remnant will be near it's defeat

-features Kyle Katarn (from Jedi Outcast)

-main charcter already designed, will be accepting suggestions

Well That's all...hope this actually get's a reply :rolleyes: :D

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure what sort of reply you're expecting to this. You might get better results by posting part of the story and letting people comment on that.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I think Dark Jedi wants us to suggest story ideas, ie. write the story for them. Do we get a percentage of the profits when it's published? ;)

Zepp

Interstellar Buccaneer
The main problem is that the company that is distributing Star Wars novels currently is not accepting open stories, they are only asking established authors to write stories that they have already planned as part of a greater story arc. With the end of the NJO I'm not sure if that will stand, but we'll see...

BTW, Borsk, if I put an excert from the Zepp Chronicles here how long should it be before it is officially 'too big'

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I'll get back to you on the maximum length of a post. I don't know it off the top of my head and I'm not in a place where I can look it up.

Dark Jedi

Banned
Originally posted by Buzz Bumble
I think Dark Jedi wants us to suggest story ideas, ie. write the story for them. Do we get a percentage of the profits when it's published? ;)

If it ever does...I AM asking for any suggestions anyone wants to make, if it does ever get published I will say this:

Written by: ****** <--(I am not gonna give out my name)
Special thanks to: Members of The Bothan Spy for assistance with story righting and character creation etc.

I will be wrighting most of the story but I will ask you guys for suggestions when I am in a tight spot and have trouble planning the next plot twist, but I don't want you to like...come come up wit every little thing...I don't want to plagerize your guys' hard work...

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I don't have any real suggestions, but best of luck with your effort. I'm sure you could do a pretty good job. :)

I'm out of the loop on anything Kyle Katarn after Dark Forces 2, and for that matter, I've only read the first Kyle novel: Soldier for the Empire (despite owning all three) :( However, the Jedi Academy era is ripe with opportunities for good Jedi storytelling.

Might I suggest that Kyle and Main Character enlist the aid of a pontentially dark jedi calling himself Skellington. They set out on a quest to rid Endor of a growing threat that has appeared since the climactic battle there. A wash of dark-side energy left behind by the Emperor has corrupted the hearts of a pair of local inhabitants known to sme as Buzz and CC. Will these tyranical despots be the end of the Ewoks? :D

That aside, good luck!

Dark Jedi

Banned
Hmmmm, I will probably base a character on anyone who asks, Borsk, Is there a charcter in a novel you read named Borsk or did you make it up? I just wanted to know 'cause I was thinking of basing a character on you, since you ARE the admin at my favourite web page on the net...

PS. I forgot to say this, I need a name for the main character!!! Ack!!! I can't start the book until I have one.... :(

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Not to steal Borsk's reply, but Borsk is a character in the EU already, and a Bothan no less. :D He's a not so nice politician who's been a thorn in Leia's side since the Thrawn Trilogy (?), who eventually get's himself posted as Chief of State of the New Republic (aka Supreme Chancellor in the prequel era).

And just in case you were wondering, Skellington is a play on Jack Skellington, from The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Alas, having a movie based on oneself is perhaps more time in the spotlight than a Bothan could ever hope for. :p

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I have the max post length set to 10,000 characters. That's what I thought, but I wanted to double-check it before saying so.

Borsk also tried to discredit Ackbar. Tricky little guy, that Borsk.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Wasn't he also behind the poisoning of Mon Mothma, or was that just everyone's suspicion? Fear not, non-readers, she survived into old age.

Dark Jedi

Banned
Originally posted by darthskelington
I don't have any real suggestions, but best of luck with your effort. I'm sure you could do a pretty good job. :)

I'm out of the loop on anything Kyle Katarn after Dark Forces 2, and for that matter, I've only read the first Kyle novel: Soldier for the Empire (despite owning all three) :( However, the Jedi Academy era is ripe with opportunities for good Jedi storytelling.

Might I suggest that Kyle and Main Character enlist the aid of a pontentially dark jedi calling himself Skellington.

What do you mean enlist the aid? Well I will say again, I need suggestions for the main Character's name...

Zepp

Interstellar Buccaneer
What you do is take a d12, roll it, that is how many characters your name will have. Then flip a coin, heads is consonants and tails is vowels. Roll a d20 for consonants and a d6 for vowels... then you'll have a name...

example
d12=4
coin=h
d20=20=Z
coin=t
d6=2=e
coin=h
d20=12=p
coin=h
d20=12=p
Name=Zepp...

Dark Jedi

Banned
I did your suggestion Zepp, and it IS efficiant, I did the first name with a coin and I just made up the last name his name is Ark Raid I will describe him for you:

he has a blue saber (classic) and long dark brown hair down to his shoulders wich he normally keeps tied in a pony tail; he wears whatever he has and is no older than 15 or 16...

as for the story, Luke will train him for the first few chapters and Kyle Katarn will become his guide, any character suggestions are still being accepted.

Dark Jedi

Banned
Well it works doesn't it? Moving on, Anybody got any character suggestions, Here is a list of the ones I've got...(I will add your character to it when you suggest one)

NAME _______________ RACE _______ Gender

-Ark Raid - Corellian - Male

-Dunne - 50% Zabrak 50% human-Male

-Kyle Katarn - Human - Male

-Luke Skywalker - Human -male

-Han Solo - Corellian -Male

-Leia Solo - Human- Female

-Jacen Solo - Human -Male

-Jaina Solo - Human -Female

-Anakin Solo - Human -Male

-Grole - Noghri -Male

-Sula - Clawdite -Female

Puuza - Bith -Male

Imba-rouge - Codru-Ji -Female

Rite (pronounced reetay) - Rodian -Male

Trinn - Bothan -Female

Monmothma - Human -Female

Admiral Ackbar - Mon Calamari -Male

Bossk - Trandoshan - Male

Trakeem - Kel Dor- Male

Jarta - Twi'lek - Female

Yukasa - Human - male

Zepp

Interstellar Buccaneer
too many humans...

How about a Clawdite that passes for human but is found out by someone midway. Or a Bimm that doesn't talk, but sings, who's best friend is a plant-loving Ho'Din that always speaks in rhyme. A four armed Codru-Ji that uses four lightsabers. A Noghri Jedi that is always at odds with a Chevin Jedi... I apologize if I've rattled on a bit, but I have a little problem with space SF getting to human-centered. Not enough aliens playing important roles. But it's your book. Have fun.

Dark Jedi

Banned
Originally posted by Zepp
too many humans...

How about a Clawdite that passes for human but is found out by someone midway. Or a Bimm that doesn't talk, but sings, who's best friend is a plant-loving Ho'Din that always speaks in rhyme. A four armed Codru-Ji that uses four lightsabers. A Noghri Jedi that is always at odds with a Chevin Jedi... I apologize if I've rattled on a bit, but I have a little problem with space SF getting to human-centered. Not enough aliens playing important roles. But it's your book. Have fun.

I like the Clawdite Idea, but the reason there is so many humans is because most of them are chacters from movies or books :D anyway, I will use those ideas I like 'em really original (that's not sarcasm) I'm not sure about the four lightsabers idea...

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Originally posted by Zepp
What you do is take a d12, roll it, that is how many characters your name will have. Then flip a coin, heads is consonants and tails is vowels. Roll a d20 for consonants and a d6 for vowels... then you'll have a name...
I did up a quick Excel spreadsheet using this method of generating names ... it takes MANY tries to get a few useful names. :rolleyes: