Star Wars: Empire at War Preview

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Errr ... Rebellion, Force Commander, Battlegrounds. :)

Here's a few scans of a preview evidently from a magazine called Computer Gaming World (wherever that's sold?)

my.php

my.php

my.php

my.php

my.php

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Force Commander and Battlegrounds weren't *really good* strategy games. I liked Rebellion, for what it was.

JediSearch

S.C.A.L.P. Special Ops
Borsk said:
Force Commander and Battlegrounds weren't *really good* strategy games. I liked Rebellion, for what it was.
I really liked Battlegrounds, but would have liked to see more civs. I am looking forward to Empire at War.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
JediSearch said:
I really liked Battlegrounds, but would have liked to see more civs. I am looking forward to Empire at War.
I liked Battlegrounds better the first time around when it was called Age of Empires II. I'm not a big fan of taking a successful game and slapping Star Wars (or Star Trek) graphics on it. In almost every case, such games look "dated" as soon as they're released and lack any originality. My opinion though.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Never thought much about FOrce Commander, other than what a huge waste of money it was. Battlegrounds kept me amused for quite a while, insofar as it was AOE a-la SW....Battlefront still has my attention for being a straightforward killing spree game with no baggage.

Have had a glimpse at whats to come, Empire at War seems definitely worth a further look. I'll withhold judgement til I've had a chance to play it ;)

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Having played the demo at C3, this years SW game of choice for me will still be battleFront II. Set for release in November, the odds are that I'll be deeply engrossed in that by February.

Empire at War does look great though. Here's hoping the gameplay lives up to the hype.

Jedi Daniel

Geek Jedi
The game is certainly looking very good and superior to Rebellion (Even though I enjoyed it for what it was) and the disasterous Force Commander and Star Wars Galactic Battleground. Looks like LucasArts have finally got it right. I must get the demo soon and play it.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
The demo doesn't let you do a whole lot.

It looks like they have characters that you can use (similar to Rebellion), but the only one in the Demo is Han/Chewie. I'm not sure if they have the emphasis on Diplomacy like Rebellion did.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
GameTrailers.com has a few movies for this game (two added in the last couple of days) - despite the web site's name, they don't have just actual advertising trailers, they also have gameplay movies too. Movies usually come in both QucikTime and Windows Media formats and can be anything from a couple of megabytes upwards in size.