Spin-off stand-alone movies

Discussion in 'Espionage Report' started by Buzz Bumble, May 22, 2014.

1. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

The first of the "off-year" movies has a director and writer ... still no mention of what it's about yet though.

The rumours are movies based around Boba Fett, Han Solo, and Yoda as being the first three "off year" stand-alone movies, but the list in last weekend's ComingSoon.net Star Wars Roundup had this list supposedly shown at a Hasbro training course in Germany:
    • Fall 2014: Rebels
    • 2015: Episode VII
    • 2016: Boba Fett
    • 2017: Episode VIII
    • 2018: Solo
    • 2019: Episode IX
    • 2020: Red Five

2. Borsk

Borsk Administrator Staff Member

I generally liked Godzilla. My complaints would be:
    • The story was very predicable and not overly imaginative.
    • Character development was "meh".
    • It felt a bit too long.
    On the last point, the comparison I would make is to Man of Steel. I generally liked that movie as well, but it also felt very long due to extended or very similar fight scenes.

The effects in Godzilla looked great. The negatives I've listed don't make me regret seeing the movie, but make it unlikely that I'll want to see it again.

3. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

You'll have to ... they're already planning a sequel. I haven't seen either of those movies and probably won't bother when they appear on TV for free either.

The puzzling on in that Star Wars list is Red Five. It seems unlikely that it would be a Luke Skywalker movie, so who and what is it about?

4. Borsk

Godzilla wasn't bad, it just didn't meet my expectations (which were on the high side ... and it wasn't helped by the fact that the 2 actors I was excited to see in the movie had diminished roles). The recent X-Men movie, on the other hand, was better than I thought it would be and I'd enjoy seeing it again.

If they actually make that movie, I bet the title gets changed. You know ... to something like Porkins.

5. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

More like "Porkies"* (the shortened version of "Porky Pies", the London Cockney rhyming slang for "lies"). :)

Red Five was Luke's X-wing in ANH ... maybe it's about whoever piloted that ship before him. Seems like a silly idea when there's so many other characters to pick from, including the rumoured Yoda movie.

Here's a good idea: they could do a special TV show for Christmas time based around Jabba and done almost entirely in Jabba-nese without sub-titles. They could even have a an animated section and a musical interlude. ;)

6. Borsk

Well, I take the title to mean that they want to do a movie about fighter pilots. As far as I know, 'Red Squadron' is more or less the same as 'Rogue Squadron'. I believe Luke could be considered a founder of rogue squadron, so, as red 5, maybe the movie is about him founding it. Or it may just be that they don't want to use 'rogue' because it's from EU (ie they have to pay someone if they want to use it).