Smilies Locked Out

I think it would be nice if the smilie option wasn't locked out of certain threads like the contests and news areas. I see alot of people trying to improvise a smilie to get there points across. Just because its possible to disable smilies doesn't mean it is necessary there.

Maybe we could post a poll on the subject?

Barada

Saboteur
I believe the reason for locked-out smilies in those forums is because it interferes with the way it makes the front page look. The first post in the News, Espionage, and Contests forums automatically appear on the front page - the reason new topics can only be started by moderators here. Smilies are incompatible with that format, hence, their 'banning' from them.

Barada

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
so, you thought we were just turning them off in those areas because we could? :looking: barada is correct, they are turned off in those ares because the news page draws information from those areas and since we don't want them on the news page and since it probably screws up the translation (Borsk question) between the two, it is not allowed.

Zepp

Interstellar Buccaneer
you can, however, right click on a smilie, go to properties, get the URL, copy it(highlite and Ctrl+C), and then use the URL to put the smilie in as an image... I think...

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Here's how those forums work (I'm talking about Site News, Espionage Report, Contests & Games, Affiliate News):

1) Only Mods can start new threads
2) Anyone can reply to them
3) The contents of the first post (made by the mods) get reproduced on other pages at the site

Now, to make life easier on me, I didn't want to worry about reproducing smilies on these other pages in the site. So, the rule that I've put into place is that no one can use smilies in these forums. In reality, the only people that need to not use smilies are the mods (since their posts are the only things that are duplicated).

Having said all that, there is a new version of the forum software on the way (which I've been waiting on for a verry loonng time) and it will have a more robust permissions system. What I could do, at that time, is not allow mods to use smilies and allow regular users to use smilies. This is almost certainly what I would do, since there's no reason to disable smilies for users.

In the meantime, I could re-enable smilies and just hope that the mods don't get careless in those forums.

Anyway, that should tell you everything you need to know. There are lots of unreasonable things I do just because I can, but disabling smilies isn't one of them. ;)

Barada

Saboteur
No fair, Borsk! I'm crying racism! No smilies for me, none for anyone :)

Oh well, life as a mod. Wait a minute, am I a mod or a rocker? Neither. I'm a mocker ;) (10 Jedi Master Points to whoever gets the source of that comment).

Barada

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Smilies do make us happy though....

dey do, doh, don't dey doh? :dance:

Never mind Barada, let us know what you want put in and we'll smilie til we drop for ya :D :) :cool: :dance: :p ;)