Shuttle Breaks Up Over Texas

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
gallery.crew.jpg

«
This has nothing to do with Star Wars but very newsworthy ...
«
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (Feb. 1) - Space shuttle Columbia apparently disintegrated in flames over Texas on Saturday minutes before it was to land in Florida. TV video showed what appeared to be falling debris, as NASA declared an emergency and warned residents to beware of falling objects.
«
Six Americans and Israel's first astronaut were on board.
«
In north Texas, people reported hearing ''a big bang'' at about 9 a.m., the same time all radio and data communication with the shuttle was lost.
«
Television stations showed what appeared to be flaming debris falling through the sky, and NASA warned Texas residents to beware of any falling objects. NASA also announced that search and rescue teams were being mobilized in the Dallas and Fort Worth areas.
«
more ...

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Inside Mission Control, flight controllers hovered in front of their computers, staring at the screens. The wives, husbands and children of the astronauts who had been waiting at the landing strip were gathered together by NASA and taken to secluded place.

''A contingency for the space shuttle has been declared,'' Mission Control repeated over and over as no word or any data came from Columbia.

In 42 years of U.S. human space flight, there had never been an accident during the descent to Earth or landing. On Jan. 28, 1986, space shuttle Challenger exploded shortly after liftoff.

On Jan. 16, shortly after Columbia lifted off, a piece of insulating foam on its external fuel tank came off and was believed to have struck the left wing of the shuttle. Leroy Cain, the lead flight director in Mission Control, assured reporters Friday that engineers had concluded that any damage to the wing was considered minor and posed no safety hazard.

Columbia had been aiming for a landing at 9:16 a.m. Saturday.

It was at an altitude of 207,000 feet over north-central Texas at a 9 a.m., traveling at 12,500 mph when Mission Control lost contact and tracking data.

Gary Hunziker in Plano said he saw the shuttle flying overhead. ''I could see two bright objects flying off each side of it,'' he told The Associated Press. ''I just assumed they were chase jets.''

''I was getting ready to go out and I heard a big bang and the windows shook in the house,'' Ferolito told The AP. ''I thought it was a sonic boom.''

Security had been tight for the 16-day scientific research mission because of the presence of Ilan Ramon, the first Israeli astronaut.

Ramon, a colonel in Israel's air force and former fighter pilot, became the first man from his country to fly in space, and his presence resulted in an increase in security, not only for Columbia's launch, but also for its planned landing. Space agency officials feared his presence might make the shuttle more of a terrorist target.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's office said it had no immediate comment.

Columbia's crew had completed 80-plus scientific research experiments during their time in orbit.

Just in the last week, NASA observed the anniversary of its only two other space tragedies, the Challenger explosion, which killed all seven astronauts on board, and Apollo space craft fire that killed three on Jan. 27, 1967.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I saw this happen this morning at about 8am. The depris seems to be falling between Palestine and College Station.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. –– NASA lowers flag next to its countdown clock to half-staff.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
DALLAS –– Residents of North Texas said they saw flames and heard a window-rattling boom Saturday about the time the space shuttle Columbia apparently disintegrated on its way to a scheduled landing at Cape Canaveral.

"It was like a car hitting the house or an explosion. It shook that much," said John Ferolito, 60, of Carrolton, north of Dallas.

NASA declared an emergency after losing communication with Columbia as the ship soared across Texas at an altitude of about 200,000 feet while traveling at six times the speed of sound. The space agency said search and rescue teams in the Dallas-Fort Worth area were alerted.

Helen Watts with the Dallas Fire Department said search and rescue teams were on standby but had not been dispatched to any locations.

Gary Hunziker in Plano said he saw the shuttle flying overhead.

"I could see two bright objects flying off each side of it," he told The Associated Press. "I just assumed they were chase jets."

"I was getting read to go out, and I heard a big bang and the windows shook in the house," Ferolito told The AP. "I was getting ready to go out and I heard a big bang and the windows shook in the house. I thought it was a sonic boom."

Louisiana State Police in Bossier City, 182 miles east of Dallas, got so many calls that one trooper had to be assigned just to answer the phone.

"One said he saw a plane breaking up over Shreveport. One said he saw a big ball of fire. One guy said his house had a blast that shook his house," state police Sgt. Steve Robinson said. That call was from DeSoto Parish, south of the parish where Bossier City is located.

North of Dallas, Chris Linville stopped working at Brookhaven Pet Hospital in Addison to go outside and watch the shuttle pass overhead.

"From the viewpoint we had, we did see some flames. We thought maybe it was from the engines or something we didn't know," said Linville, 21. "We knew it was flying over, and we were actually looking for the shuttle passing by. We had no idea."

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
The space shuttle Columbia crew: Kalpana Chawla, Michael Anderson, William McCool, Rick Husband, Laurel Clark, David Brown, Ilan Ramon.

Attachments

• 9_21_300_crew.jpg
    9_21_300_crew.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 234

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
0201shuttle.gif

NACOGDOCHES, Texas - Debris from the space shuttle Columbia fell over Nacogdoches County Saturday morning, seconds after a huge explosion rocked windows and doors. Law enforcement personnel and National Guard reservists moved quickly to cordon off areas where debris landed as reports continued to come in Saturday morning throughout the city and county.

No injuries were reported, but at least two houses were damaged when pieces went through the roofs.

Nacogdoches police Lt. Paul Peterson was at work doing paperwork when he heard a huge rumble and vibration.

" My first impression was that it was a couple of fighter jets doing a low flyover," Peterson said. "Then the phone started ringing nonstop and people started reporting debris."

"It's everywhere," Mike Claude, with the Nacogdoches Sheriff's office, said late Saturday morning. "Right now we are trying to replace our officers with National guard members."

The explosion blew open the back doors of Commercial Bank of Texas NA, and a piece approximately 3 feet by 4 feet landed in the back parking lot.

The piece landed on the back parking lot between the bank and the Masonic Lodge. Police have cordoned off an area about 100 yards square.

"It looks like a coated aluminum pot," bank president Tommy Ellison said.

Several small pieces that perhaps broke off on impact were scattered in the lot, Ellison said.

Ruth Ann Peterson, an employee at the bank, located in downtown Nacogdoches, was driving near downtown and saw what looked like the moon. It looked like a bright light with what look to be sparklers trailing behind it moving in an east-to-northerly direction.

Nacogdoches resident John F. Anderson found a tile on his front patio, and began searching the rest of his property south of downtown. Piles of powder and other small debris were scattered across his yard and in the street in front of his house.

"What we're going to do is mark it all with a nail and some tape, and wait for word on what to do," Anderson said.

Nacogdoches police officer Rob Thorne marked off a small piece of debris in front of Anderson's home.

"The military is on its way to take over," Thorne said.

Law enforcement officers were instructed to keep people 100 yards away from the debris because of fears of contamination from the propellant. However, a number of residents picked up pieces and turned them in law enforcement officers.

Greg Sowell, community services officer for Nacogdoches Police Department, said the department is receiving calls over town and securing the areas until they receive further instructions from the federal government.

Dawn Wilson and her son were driving down a residential street when a piece nearly hit her truck.

"We didn't know what it was, so I just kept going. I called the police department when I got home, and then we came back when we heard on the radio what had happened."

Debris struck the roof of District Attorney Ed Klein's mother's house, on York Street off of Appleby Sand.

Klein said it looked like a mortar round had hit the house and that daylight was visible through at least a half-dozen holes in the cedar roof.

As of 10 a.m. Saturday, G.W. Jones, assistant administrator at Nacogdoches Memorial Hospital said that he knew of four people who had checked in for treatment - two at Memorial and two at Nacogdoches Medical Center.

"Right now, if they have touched a piece of it, we're telling them to immediately lay it down and wash their hands profusely with soap and water, then contact their physician or get to an emergency room," Jones said.

Jones said that the city had activated its emergency operations plan, but only for city personnel. Additional assistance from county or other personnel had not been requested.

Jones added that, so far, he had not received any reports of adverse

effects of handling the debris. "My thought is that NASA just doesn't want anybody touching the stuff," Jones said.

0201shuttle2.jpg

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
flag

Attachments

• capt.1044116699.topix_space_shuttle_ksc111.jpg
    capt.1044116699.topix_space_shuttle_ksc111.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 224

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
Thanks guys, this was where I heard about this because I didn't have my TV on this morning. Thanks for the coverage and pics.