SG1 Done?

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
anyone here watch SG1? Did you know the scifi channel didn't order any new episodes? They did order more episodes of SGA

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Stargate SG-1 will end, although some say it eneded a while back when 'MacGyver' started spending less time in front of the cameras. It was actually meant to finish a season or two ago (and possible move to movies). It's basically come to the end of it's run and is going out while still fairly popular.

Stargate: Atlantis will be back for at least another season, maybe more.

Stargate: Infinity (the animated show) was cancelled a while back. I only saw a couple of episodes, but it didn't seem THAT bad and was better than most of the PokéBall Zero rubbish shovelled at kids these days.

There are vague rumours of another spin-off show. There is also plan by Dean Devlin to make two movie sequels to the original Stargate movie, but he wont be bothering to attempt to integrate the Stargate TV shows. :(

This is also about to become a problem in the Star Trek universe, where the current idea for the next movie (by Lost and Alias creator JJ Abrams) is to "reboot" the franchise ... i.e. ignore everything that's already established and start again. The movie is said to be about Kirk and Spock at Starfleet Academy, and they want Ben Affleck to play Kirk. :(

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
Buzz Bumble said:
Stargate SG-1 will end, although some say it eneded a while back when 'MacGyver' started spending less time in front of the cameras. It was actually meant to finish a season or two ago (and possible move to movies). It's basically come to the end of it's run and is going out while still fairly popular.

Stargate: Atlantis will be back for at least another season, maybe more.

Stargate: Infinity (the animated show) was cancelled a while back. I only saw a couple of episodes, but it didn't seem THAT bad and was better than most of the PokéBall Zero rubbish shovelled at kids these days.

There are vague rumours of another spin-off show. There is also plan by Dean Devlin to make two movie sequels to the original Stargate movie, but he wont be bothering to attempt to integrate the Stargate TV shows. :(

This is also about to become a problem in the Star Trek universe, where the current idea for the next movie (by Lost and Alias creator JJ Abrams) is to "reboot" the franchise ... i.e. ignore everything that's already established and start again. The movie is said to be about Kirk and Spock at Starfleet Academy, and they want Ben Affleck to play Kirk. :(

you have got to be kidding...Affleck?.......:(

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
just because scifi didn't buy any episodes, doesn't mean that another network wouldn't pick it up... that's how they got to scifi. i know that the writers in the past have built the story arch so that if it were the last season, they could take that storyline into a movie. i don't think that is the case here. i think that mgm and the sg1 folks planned on going beyond the current season.
it would be nice if they gave the show a propper ending and not just cut it off mid stream.
if no one picks it up and they do take the tv show to the movies, then they have to bring back oneill or it's a waste of time IMO
if they chose to make more movies based off the original, then i'm for that too.
we'll see what happens. SGA needs BSG now... that show won't float w/o a strong show with it.

Jedi_Joel

Agent
To be honest, how much longer can you keep reviving a show that's been on for 10 years without it becoming preposterous as a mid-day soap opera?

IG-PPO

Sith Hamsters Handler
I watched SG1 from time to time. I didn't watch much during the RDA "phone-in" season. But when Ben Browder and Claudia Black joined the cast I started watching SG1 again.

Did anyone seen the 200th episode?

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Jedi_Joel said:
To be honest, how much longer can you keep reviving a show that's been on for 10 years without it becoming preposterous as a mid-day soap opera?
my problem is that a lot of the stuff that scifi does ...sucks.
with SG1, they have something that draws in 2 million viewers even if is 10 years old and stale.
i would much rather watch a bad episode of SG1 than a good episode of SGA

w/o sg1, scifi is gonna have to hire someone to figure what shows they are going to have on 24 hours a day. you get 4 or 5 epsiodes of sg1 on monday, at least one episode every day of the week and two one friday. a few years ago it was even more than that. BSG hasn't made enough episodes to fill all of those slots.

my point here is that w/o SG1, scifi would be less than what it is and SG1 deserves a propper send off. You might not even have shows like BSG if it were not for SG1.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I think I read last week (or so) that the SciFi Channel got the rights to broadcast all the various Star Trek shows - that should give them more than enough to fill their schedule for a while. :)

IG-PPO

Sith Hamsters Handler
I think the westling show on Monday was a one-time only show. The regular show is on Tuesday. I guess thay want to "expand" the demographic of the channel.

I think SciFi only adquired Voyager and Enterprise series. TNG and DS9 are still on Spike TV.

For filling up space, they also adquired some old and cancelled shows like Dead like Me, John Doe, The NightStalker remake and Firefly.

IG-PPO

Sith Hamsters Handler
AmShak said:
my problem is that a lot of the stuff that scifi does ...sucks.

Speaking of sucks, I read in cinescape.com that they are planning a series call the Sarah Conners Chronicles, which will be about what happened between Terminator 2 and Terminator 3.

IG-PPO said:
I think the westling show on Monday was a one-time only show. The regular show is on Tuesday. I guess thay want to "expand" the demographic of the channel.

I think SciFi only adquired Voyager and Enterprise series. TNG and DS9 are still on Spike TV.

For filling up space, they also adquired some old and cancelled shows like Dead like Me, John Doe, The NightStalker remake and Firefly.

scifi only acquired the rights to enterprise spiketv has the rights to voyager which will start airing on spiketv this fall

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Personally, I couldn't care less what the scifi channel shows - as long as SOMEONE continues to make SG1 as a series. Movies? not interested, way too long between them and there would only be a few at best. Each movie would equate to only a few episodes anway and there have been plenty of double episode cliffhangers so far.

I've watched sg1 from the start, plus bought everything to date on dvd. Its a great show (albeit a bit diminished with this 'origin' storyline) and deserves to continue. They've had storyline 'lulls' before and come back from them.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
With a movie though you've got extra money to do effects. SG1 could definately benefit from that.

The show was way better when the jaffa were the bad guys. Pretty much every villain that hasn't been a Goa'uld has sucked.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Agreed about the bad guys in the main.

Effects have been pretty good for a weekly show imo. Yes movies would perhaps bring better effects, but this show has always been about story for me, especially the longer running plotlines.

The manner in which they managed to weave plotlines, even minor ones, in from multiple older episodes has been very cool sometimes, even if the bad guys were not always snakeheads.