Ishi Tib

New Recruit
<center>
sponsor.fed.jpg
</center>

<CENTER>SAGA'S LATEST TRIO
DETAILED PICTURES AND REVIEW
</CENTER>

Two of the most inseparable buddies from the original trilogy, Han Solo Endor Raid from Return of the Jedi and everyone's favorite Wookie, Chewbacca Cloud City Capture from The Empire Strikes Back have seen their latest incarnation in plastic and are being found at a store near you. Accompanying the couple, a third character, Obi Wan Kenobi Jedi Starfighter Pilot from Attack of the Clones, compliments this latest Saga wave.

As with the majority of sculpted figurines, this newest trio packs negative but also very positive characteristics which we are about to review. Being collectors as we are, and expecting more every time a new or an old character sees is representation in plastic, we are always going to agree or disagree with the sculpts no matter how good or bad they get made, therefore, here is my rant and praise about this newest offering by Hasbro. Perhaps you and I see them just the same, perhaps we stand on opposite sides of the coin.

Let's start things off by taking a close look at ...

<CENTER>OBI-WAN KENOBI
JEDI STARFIGHTER PILOT
</CENTER>

All around, the Jedi pilot sculpt is more in scale than the previous Coruscant Chase version. He is in fact slightly bigger and shows a better head design. The added touch of the gold band going around the character's forehead and communication headset as well as darker hair, gives the figure a closer likeness to the actor as well as the specific scene from the film.

<CENTER>ARTICULATION/FEATURES/ACCESSORIES</CENTER

The figure has been articulated at the neck, shoulders, biceps, wrists and legs, lacking any movement at the waistline. By pressing another one of those protruding buttons on his back, Obi-Wan's arms swing in a "slashing motion." As I have stated before, I'm not one who will praise these "enlargements of the spinal cord" but in this case the feature works well and hides nicely underneath the removable Jedi robe, therefore not detracting from the figures look.

The "soft goods" (cloth) robe, although a little funny in appearance (too bulky) has a nice feel, being smooth and soft to the touch and when played around with long enough, can actually be positioned as if it were flowing with the wind.

As a last note on Obi's articulation, it allows for a few different poses, including a double grip pose for his saber with detachable blade; this can be accomplished by having his left arm, the one with the magnet, hold the saber's hilt at its lower end while his right arm is turned to the side, holding its upper part.

Also worth mentioning, are the binoculars included with the set. Although very small, this little piece has been nicely crafted and fits with ease in the Jedi's right hand.

<CENTER>OBI AND THE STARFIGHTER</CENTER

The figure has been designed also to fit within the Jedi Starfighter cockpit BUT this feature does not work well. The fact the lower end of Kenobi's inner robe has remained made out of plastic and not flexible enough, does not allow for the legs to be brought up to a pose to adequately make the figure contour to the Starfighter's seat. This, in turn, makes it difficult for the adjustable headrest to be positioned over Obi's head and the canopy will not close unless headrest and figure are forced down. This problem has been one Hasbro has confronted throughout the years, as figures and cockpits do not truly interact. Hopefully as the line progresses we will see this issue taken care of in the near future.

A communication base and radar are included as part of the accessories. The radar can be detach from its base and mounted on the Starfighter. The small orifice provided with the ship, right behind the red droid, serves as the proper place for the radar's peg to be mounted on. Using the tip of a blade, I needed to make the hole bigger in order to fit in the radar but this could had been just my case, and therefore I'm assuming the experience may vary. Once positioned, the radar can be rotated nicely.

<CENTER>FIGURE INFORMATION</CENTER

NAME: Obi- Wan Kenobi. Jedi Starfighter Pilot
DIGITS: PN 6108763300
FIGURE NUMBER: 36
ACCESSORIES: Lightsaber, Binoculars, Radar dish with communication base, Jedi robe

<center>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</center>

<CENTER>HAN SOLO
ENDOR RAID
</CENTER>

The sculpt and pose of the figure are good. The face likeness has been nicely accomplished; it is almost identical as the sculpt used for the 25th Anniversary set with the addition of some bulkiness to the hair, around the ears and back to be exact. The expression is practically the same as the previous set. Although Han's head design has been cocked to the right, and this may annoy some people, the design works well and gives him a natural look when posed in a right arm forward gun firing stance.

From the silver gadgetry around his belt, to the yellow stripes on the pants to, again, the details on his face, the figure overall, has been painted well. The vest is a one separate piece, not molded onto the figure and, although a little difficult to do, it can actually be removed from the body.

Han has been given articulation at the neck, shoulders, right elbow, waist and legs. An interesting feature added to this new sculpt is the ability to quick draw his blaster gun. This movement can be obtained by positioning the figure in two different ways: One, by lining up his lower and upper body and pressing down the protruding switch at the waistline. Two, by rotating his waist to the left (your left) and pushing down on the switch. If you press the switch down hard enough, his torso will twist and his right arm will raise up at the shoulder, aiming the pistol. This switch is cleverly disguised as an attachment to the belt, very much in the form of a "droid caller." The ball jointed right shoulder, which allows for Solo's "quick draw" is also nicely disguised. The vest covers half of it and the joint is painted white to blend in with the shirt.

The blaster pistol is a well detailed accessory with its flash suppressor (end) painted silver. There is also enough room between the trigger and the power pack, allowing for the fingers to be placed on the trigger. I do suggest to press the gun firmly into the hand, doing this will prevent the gun from flying away when using the action feature. The gun can also be placed in the holster attached to the figure's right leg, where it can rest securely.

Two proton grenades are also included with the figure. Nicely sculpted and made of a soft, rubbery plastic, they present long indentations on the sides which makes it easy for the hands go get a good grip on them. The flat, rounded ends of the grenades are in fact suction cups which attach easily to smooth surfaces.

NAME: Han Solo. Endor Raid
DIGITS: PN 6108763400
FIGURE NUMBER: 37
ACCESSORIES: Blaster pistol, Two Proton grenades

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
<CENTER>CHEWBACCA
CLOUD CITY CAPTURE
</CENTER>

This is one of the best Chewbacca figures produced for the 3 3/4" line. The head design is very accurate and fantastically detailed. The mean, growling expression of his face gets well accomplished with the sculpted slightly opened mouth. One can almost count every tooth within it; even his tongue has been crafted and painted pink with precision, not just a blob of paint in his mouth.

The figure is a couple of millimeters taller than POTJ Chewbacca mechanic, making this new rendition of the Wookie the tallest Chewie yet. The thick, shaggy fur on his body has been highlighted with the right amount of gray paint in the proper areas thus the shades of his fur are not overdone but not absent either. The characteristic bandolier and carry pouch, although not removable (maybe someday), have been worked on a little, giving the pouch a lighter brown tone and a more weathered look. The bandolier has been painted using brighter silver and copper colors.

Chewie has gotten some unique and improved articulation this time around. Starting at his feet and working our way up, the Wookie is articulated at the hips, wrists, biceps, shoulders and head. There is no articulation present at the waistline but despite this absence the new shoulder joints as well as the new articulation of his head make up for it.

First off, the ball jointed shoulders are a truly a good feature and work well in conjunction with the articulated biceps and wrists; we can now make Chewbacca bring his arms up over his head in more than one pose and hold the blaster with both hands as well.

The highlight of this figure is his neck joint. Despite all the sculpted fur around it, this new articulation at the neck lets us tilt the Wookie's head upwards and far backwards as if he was growling up to the sky. The new joint also allows for something never before accomplished with a Chewbacca sculpt, the capability to slightly be able to turn his head right and left

Besides the imperial blaster Chewie comes with, a couple of other accessories to round up the set; an equipment bag and battle damaged C-3PO parts.

The damaged C3-PO includes a torso, legs and arms clustered together as one solid piece. A separate head piece can be placed into the droid's body, allowing for his eyes to light up as well as the plate on his back. This feature doesn't work well at all. The lights in the droid's eyes are very dim and can hardly be seen; his back plate does have a stronger light and the feature can be appreciated better but in order to make the lights work a fair amount of pressure is needed to be placed on their activation point, the head, and this one does not even remain plugged into the torso. A neat but useless feature we can actually deal without.

The equipment bag, where the Threepio parts are to be placed into has been improved over the one offered a few years back with POTF2 and the C-3PO with removable limbs. This new version comes with an adjustable cord which when pulled on can securely hold the damaged golden droid's parts.

NAME: Chewbacca. Cloud City Capture
DIGITS: PN 6108763500
FIGURE NUMBER: 38
ACCESSORIES: Battle damaged C3-PO, Equipment bag, Imperial blaster

<CENTER>A NOTE ABOUT OUR SPONSOR</CENTER

The figures showcased in the following pictures were provided by Federation Toys, a new but very serious online retailer which I truly recommend. Their service is efficient and friendly. Best of all it is owned and operated by Jim, a fan and Star Wars collector himself. What a better place to get the latest figures than from the hands of another collector. Pay them a visit and experience the difference.

Now, scroll down the page and check out the detailed pictures of this newest offering by Hasbro and most of all .. Have fun!

<CENTER>Ishi Tib</CENTER>

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
CHEWBACCA CLOUD CITY CAPTURE

Attachments

• attack of the clones wave2835ssssssssssss.jpg
    attack of the clones wave2835ssssssssssss.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 461

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
CHEWBACCA CLOUDCITY CAPTURE 2

Attachments

• attack of the clones wave2835sssssssssssss.jpg
    attack of the clones wave2835sssssssssssss.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 486

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
CHEWBACCA CLOUD CITY CAPTURE 3

Attachments

• attack of the clones wave2835ssssssssssssss.jpg
    attack of the clones wave2835ssssssssssssss.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 469

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I don't know that you can really tell from ishi's pics but i think chewie's legs are too short or his arms are too long or something,... he just has something strange about him. Also, i wish hasbro would make a chewie with his mouth shut for a change.

nice pics ishi

Jedi Davin Reli

Jedi Extraordinare
That pic of Chewie semi- bending over has short legs. So I think it's safe to say there are already some Chewie variations. Oh yeah, I have two dogs. The boy's name is Chewie. Everybody except for my mom (even including the puppies) likes Star Wars.

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
Nightwing: I don't know is Han actualy "sucks BIG TIME" but that is one man's opinion and you are entitle to it. I personally like the sculpt

Amshak: Thanks for the kind words about the pics and yes, now that you brought up the open mouth issue, the closest Hasbro has come to make one with it closed was Chewie mechanic, where his mouth is not actually open but his teeth are showing....sort of happy looking, you know?

Darth Aussie: I agree with you. This Chewie and the 25th Anniversary version are my two favorite ones.

Jedi Davin Reli:The pic of Chewie bending over is that of the same figure as the others around them. I use one figure and shoot it from different angles. The angle of this particular shot gives the optical illusion as if his legs were shorter but in fact they are not. Although I agree that there seems to be a slight shortening of his legs, I believe this is due more to the overall design of the figure. If you place this new Chewie next to the "Mechanic" version, the legs are the same length but since the new sculp has a broader appearance, mainly around his torso, it makes the legs seem shorter.

Nightwing

New Recruit
Just take a look at han's right knee. Who has a knee that shape?

His gun does not line up with his head properly. If he was real, he would miss every stormtrooper he aimed at.

We get The Bespin figure that come loaded with accessories, then this: a gun(That doesn't fit in the holster properly) and two grenades plus one really weak action feature.

Just another figure non-original sculpt figure showing hasbro's way at them making a grab for our money the cheap way

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I agree that they have gotten a little carried away with han lately. If they just could have worked in a removable endor jacket for him.... that would have made this a great figure, i think.

Jedi Davin Reli

Jedi Extraordinare
Hasbro's four favorite words: action figure sold seperately. And also, they've picked up on the fact that people will pay more to get rare figures and go to greater lengths to get them. So they make less of figures like Yoda and Dooku. Hasbro is also clued in that quite a few collectors also are variation hunters. So Hasbro decides to give each figure at least 10 different variations. There are at least 4 on the Bespin Duel Luke Skywalker already. Three different variations dealing with his hand, and then at least one to do with the blood on his face.

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
...MMMMM, I still like the figure but as I stated at the beginning of my review, as collectors, we will always agree or disagree with what is made available. In my particular case I like it.

Amshak, your wish for an Endor jacket will come true as soon as those Target exclusive accessory sets start to show. There will be one included with the Endor accessory set :)

Cb2K

New Recruit
well I think the scuplts are okay but I have no interset in OT figures. I want more ep1 and ep2 saga figures! Hasbro - Give me what I DON'T have! :)