Rumor: Episode VII Title

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing I worry about with JJ Abrams is lazy storytelling that doesn't make much sense. I think you can count on the movie being exciting. He seems to sacrifice plot for the sake of getting one more cool explosion sometimes. In particular, I'm thinking of the scene at the end of Star Trek 2009 where they're getting sucked into the space disruption and have to "eject the core" to blow it up and get pushed away by the force of the explosion. Star Trek seems to have a thing about practically destroying the Enterprise in every movie though...

Maybe that's the thing about the old movies. Back then, there wasn't enough money/time to create a bunch of extra effects, so the stuff that you did have needed to be justified by more than "that'd look cool" ... and plot didn't have to contort itself to try to hold up some elaborate CG sequence.

Anyway...

I don't hate the title but it's hard to believe they'll actually use it in a movie that stars a bunch of people in their 60s and 70s (and 80s! Max von Sydow).

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
It sounds too much like they would be dragging up some ancient Sith baddie / artifact / weapon ... which nobody (except perhaps diehard fans) has ever heard of. Which doesn't really make any sense and is rather silly. I still firmly believe they should be leaving the "Saga" as it is with everone living "happily ever after" at the end of Return of the Jedi. :(

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Of course, one of the working / snoop-distraction titles for Revenge of the Sith was The Creeping Fear, so this could just be another hoax title.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds too much like they would be dragging up some ancient Sith baddie / artifact / weapon ... which nobody (except perhaps diehard fans) has ever heard of. Which doesn't really make any sense and is rather silly. I still firmly believe they should be leaving the "Saga" as it is with everone living "happily ever after" at the end of Return of the Jedi. :(

Darth Plagueis ... if they feel so inclined as to tie it into the prequels

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if it's just called "Star Wars".

One of the problems with Episode I was all the political exposition. I suppose they felt like it was necessary to explain how an ordered society transformed into the Empire. But it was boring. I don't want to see a New Republic version of the same thing.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
George Lucas did say that the start of the story would likely be considered boring, which is why he started in the middle. :)

It's set 30 years later, so the New Republic will already have been up and running for a long time (barring possibly a few long-term hold-out Empire planets / hideouts). The only real sensible option for a third trilogy is if one of Luke or Leia's children "does a Dooku" by rejecting the Jedi and turning Sith ... but even then it doesn't make a lot of sense, unless they're planning the third trilogy as the rise and then a fourth trilogy to defeat the new Sith. Which would basically just be rehashing what the six movie Saga has already done anyway (but then re-hashing old ideas is almost all that Hollyweird is able to do these days :().

Darth Plagueis ... I wouldn't be surprised if they make a prequel-prequel trilogy (Episode -1??) about Plagueis and a younger Palpatine.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
George Lucas did say that the start of the story would likely be considered boring, which is why he started in the middle. :)
I'm not really sure what it says when someone admits that their movie will likely be considered boring and then does very little to eliminate the boring parts. There's many cool things in Episode I, but there's a lot of 'corny' and a lot of 'boring'.

It's set 30 years later, so the New Republic will already have been up and running for a long time (barring possibly a few long-term hold-out Empire planets / hideouts). The only real sensible option for a third trilogy is if one of Luke or Leia's children "does a Dooku" by rejecting the Jedi and turning Sith ... but even then it doesn't make a lot of sense, unless they're planning the third trilogy as the rise and then a fourth trilogy to defeat the new Sith. Which would basically just be rehashing what the six movie Saga has already done anyway (but then re-hashing old ideas is almost all that Hollyweird is able to do these days :().
It seems like a core part of the story should involve Luke training more Jedi. I know there's EU books about the subject that I've never read. In any case, it seems like there'd probably be a bad apple or two in any group that he attempts to train (and I doubt he's a great teacher anyway). It wouldn't necessarily have to be their children. Although another angle would be that Luke and Leia go to great lengths to suppress the truth about Anakin ... which makes the story of Anakin more appealing to their children (and perhaps takes them down a similar path).

Darth Plagueis ... I wouldn't be surprised if they make a prequel-prequel trilogy (Episode -1??) about Plagueis and a younger Palpatine.
Darth Plagueis discovered how to cheat death. I suppose he could still be around.

I haven't read the Darth Plagueis book (not that it matters since it will probably be retconned). Based on what Palpatine says in Episode III, he's dead. Palpatine isn't a super trustworthy source though.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I haven''t read 95% of the novels either and even fewer of the comics, but it seems like Palpatine killed Plagueis in the usual Apprentice-takes-over-from-Master approach, and one of the series set after RotJ has one of the Skywalker / Solo kids going bad. The novels did also have Palpatine returning as a clone ... and then when they had completely run out of ideas, they brought in a previously -unknown invading alien race as the baddies. :rolleyes:

Of course, Disney said last week that they're rebranding all the "EU" material as "Legacy" and ignoring it, with everything from now on being considered "canon", along with the Saga movies and The Clone Wars CGI animated series. Apparently Del Rey are planning to reprint some of the the old stories (such as the Han Solo and Lando Calrissian adventures) under the new "Legacy" banner.