Original Trilogy Petition

CoruscantCosta

Ewok Cheif
This has probably been posted before, but its a petition to release the original unedited theatrical footage of the Original Trilogy.

I know I usually dont believe in petitions but this one already has 29,000 some signatures, and it looks like this one might have a chance at working.

So please sign the petition at www.originaltrilogy.com and help stop lucas from adding in even more special effects that are ruining the films we love the most.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I'm certainly not going to try and discourage anyone from signing the petition, but .....

it's the New Coke / Classic Coke marketing scheme

he can make more money releasing the OT at a later date and it will help the sell of the SE if he says that the OT won't be coming in the future.

Personally, i would like to see what ILM could do with the OT with what they can do now. I would also like to be able to purchase the OT on dvd at some point. I've lived this long w/o the OT on dvd, so i think i can probably get by w/o it if that is what happens. Star Wars is still Star Wars no matter what version it is

I watch one of the Saga every weekend. I don't mind the updated OT, but I suffer and slap a video tape in and fast forward past the 10 min GL interview at the front.

I want it on DVD so I'll sign the petition and pray.....

....edit: petition signed. It took 2 minutes.

I kind of agree with AmShak there, but the Origional Trilogy is the essence of Star Wars.

There is definately a market to be had. I can guarentee GL it couldn't hurt. The only thing putting the OT on DVD will do is make an origional masterpiece better.

OT > Mona Lisa

OT on DVD > Mona Lisa cleaned

Special Edition OT > Mona Lisa with some ribbons painted in her hair and some new items in the background.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Spot on Chris!!!

Petition signed, 2 minutes or less.

I prefer Mona Lisa without the new clothes :toed:

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
AmShak said:
he can make more money releasing the OT at a later date and it will help the sell of the SE if he says that the OT won't be coming in the future.

Ain't gonna happen. :)

There's pretty much zero chance that the original Original Trilogy (or even the Special Edition versions) will ever appear on DVD or whatever replaces it in the future ... at least not legally. The Special Edition and now the new changes is how George Lucas wants his movies to be, and unlike most movies he owns them, not some studio.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
not that i want anything bad to happened to lucas, but he won't live forever and ownership of those movies will change hands and who knows what will happen somewhere down the line.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
I wouldn't like anything bad to happen to GL either, but I'd like to see a cleaned up dvd OT version sometime BEFORE I retire and need binoculars and a bionic ear!!

Hey Zepp, yeah, just realised how old this thread was......originally thought it was a few weeks old.....never looked at the year :)

Blame the 'similar threads' feature (which I think is way cool, btw!)

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
AmShak said:
not that i want anything bad to happened to lucas, but he won't live forever and ownership of those movies will change hands and who knows what will happen somewhere down the line.

The problem is that the original footage no long er exists (reportedly), only the Special Edition versions ... unless you want LucasFilm to copy from old laserdisc or VHS tapes, neither of which would give great quality.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
you believe the original footage no longer exists?

i still wouldn't count on lucas keeping his word. how many times has he sadi one thing and done another? the prequels are a good example. the ot on dvd this year is another.

we may never see the original version again, but i just think it's silly to rule it out .... especially when there can be money made on it.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
But unlike normal movies owned by a studio, George Lucas isn't interested in making money for the sake of it. He already makes more money than he can use. If it was just about money-making, then the prequels and further movies would have been made decades ago and kept being made until everyone was utterly sick of them.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
i agree that lucas has more money than anyone needs but i have also found that no matter how much money you make, it's never enough. you would think there would have to be a ceiling that would be reached and if there is, lucas is probably above it, but i'm sure i will never know.

Once lucas passes on, whoever ends up owning the movies will probably be very well taken care of and try to honor whatever wishes lucas has for the movies but that opens a door.

i still would not be surprised to see lucas release them himself at some point in the future. if i were him and i was tinkering with my movies, i would want to reduce as much competition for them as possible. i would want to try and force people to see what i have done instead of ignoring it in hopes of getting the OT. Once i was done "tinkering" and any buzz around the new versions dies down, then i would consider releasing the original versions.

just my opinion

who would have ever thought we would be watching the 3 stooges in color .... ironically, lucas is against

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
AmShak said:
i agree that lucas has more money than anyone needs but i have also found that no matter how much money you make, it's never enough. you would think there would have to be a ceiling that would be reached and if there is, lucas is probably above it, but i'm sure i will never know.

But not everyone is money hungry, Ghandi wasn't, monks aren't, I only charge peanuts so I'm not, just maybe George lucas isn't either. Thanfully we're not all Bully-Boy Gates at Microsloth. :)

Once lucas passes on, whoever ends up owning the movies will probably be very well taken care of and try to honor whatever wishes lucas has for the movies but that opens a door.

True, it's anyone's guess what future owners will do (individual person or "LucasFilm"), but if the original footage is gone, then so is any chance. If the footage still exists, then it'd be a matter of how much they respect George Lucas' wishes combined with how money-hungry they are, but that's likely to be another 30 or so years in the future, by then few will care or even remember ... or perhaps George Lucas simply words his will so it can't legally be done, or even destroys/destoryed the footage himself.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Not a very good "explanation". It still make no real sense. George Lucas is trying to split Vader and Anakin into two separate people, with Vader being only] the older man and Anakin being only the younger one, but that doesn't work. Anakin and Vader are the same person, just two opposite sides of the same character.

Even if you did think of them as two separate people, then Luke redeeming Vader and returning him to the "light"side returns Anakin to the Jedi, and Anakin dies as an old man.

This change seems like just another "appease the low-IQ fans" idea, like adding Chewie to Episode III otherwise they'll think he didn't exist. :mad:

At least with Naboo added to the final celebrations those twits can stop saying it turned into Dagobah or was destoryed by the (prototype) Death Star.