Original Trilogy DVDs - the changes

Replacing Shaw with Hayden in ROTJ:

• is a fantastic idea!

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • isn't a great idea, but I can live with it.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • is a terrible idea, but doesn't ruin the movies for me.

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • is a completely awful idea and it ruins the movie.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • no opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Greedo shooting first doesn't do anything good for the story.

It would be nice if they could find a way for Han to NOT step on Jabba. That would immensely help that scene.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
I'm all for the original version, cleaned up yes, but messed with, no!!

I agree it'll probably never happen, but maybe ol' Greedy Lucre will bang his head and have a re-think :)

Jedi Freezeman

Infiltrator
Star Wars: The Original (not so original) Special- Special Edition

A New Hope
Who shoots first: 1) I don’t like it mainly because it looks corny. 2) Han is a scoundrel/smuggler/ex-Imperial officer. In ANH he is portrayed as being in it for himself, only in it for the money. If it weren’t for Chewie giving him some crap, he probably would have never stuck around Yavin IV. When in a situation with a gun trained on him, his self-preservation instincts/imperial background will cry “Kill or be killed”. I think it fits his character and shows the transition from self absorbed spice smuggler to Rebel Alliance General.

The Empire Strikes Back
Emperor's hologram: Increases continuity. Makes sense.

New dialog for Emperor's hologram scene: Ok I didn’t listen to the mp3. Could be good or bad, depending and how it was changed.

Temuera Morrison voicing Boba Fett: For continuity sake I can buy it, but I don’t know that it is necessary.

I’ve also heard that the stormtrooper voices were being dubbed over. I can understand that to an extent. Not all stormtroopers at this time though would be clones. There should be some non-clone troopers.

Retun of the Jedi
Hayden replacing Shaw as Jedi Ghost: :banghead: George, don’t make me hate these movies! I mean come on!!! Many of my thoughts have already been posted, so I’ll leave it at that.

Jedi Temple added to celebration on Coruscant: No big whoop

Naboo scenes added to the galactic final celebration: No big whoop

I’d also heard Leia’s lines were changes when talking about her mother. Again I don’t have any details, but I would have thought Lucas could have made it work as is.

Touch up is great, continuity is fine to a point. Don’t screw with the movies that a majority of the fan base grew up with and cherish. I loved the Timothy Zahn Trilogy: Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command. It has been a while since I’ve read them, but I was very impressed how Zahn was able to weave his story into the fabric of the original trilogy. Now if Lucas would throw a glimpse of Mara Jade on Jabba’s Sail barge or in his audience chamber, that would tighten threads in the fabric even more. If Lucas is paying attention to his Star Wars ‘history’ and is looking for ways to tie the galaxy together, will the Outbound Project or Jorus C’baoth be mentioned in EIII?

I’m sure there are many more examples, but this has already gone on quite a bit. One last thing in closing… Remember the “New Coke”? I don’t know if it was ever proven as marketing gimmick but Coke Classic came back stronger than ever. Is Lucas playing the same game? Is he stirring up the pot for a little extra publicity? I hope so.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
I tend to agree with Freezeman on most points.

Especially about the replacement of Shaw as the ghost of Anakin. That just plain BLOWS CHUNKS!! Leave it be.

Generally speaking, the special edition was an imporvement, but messing with Leia's lines and replacing Shaw will ruin it for me to a degree.

The more I hear about the changes, the more thankful I am to have the original untouched versions on vhs, crappy and all as that format is. Anyone know the best way to transfer to DVD?

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't notice the other thread with the same poll question before adding this one. This poll has a wider range of answers, so I'll leave it.

Jedi_Joel

Agent
I was initially in favor of the changes, because after all, they're GL's works, but then it hit me. Hey...........we're being FORCED to accept these changes, because there's no other options out there, like when we could chose between the OT and the SE on VHS. Instead GL is forcing some of his fans (including me) to go looking for the laserdisc to DVD transfer copies.

Jedi Freezeman

Infiltrator
DVD set on ebay. Someone asked quesitons about some changes...

Q: Hi, Question regarding the movies. Did Lucasfilm change anything in the trilogy. IE - did Hayden Christensen replace Sebastin Shaw at the end of ROTJ? Any other info would be great. Jeff Answered on Sep-06-04
A: Hayden replaces Sebastian in the final ghosts shot :toed: :banghead: :flame: , but not the unveiling scene. AND the *%$#@ Gungans show up in the final celebration montage, as does Coruscant w/ a crowd tossing a Stormtrooper around like a crowd surfer.

Here's alink incase anything else comes up...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=154&item=6321730858&rd=1

Zepp

Interstellar Buccaneer
I picked up a set (the original Trilogy, widescreen) of LDs for $20 after I heard about this. Now I just have to transfer them to DVD.

If a black market for LD-DVD copies of the Original Trilogy (not the short bus trilogy) emerges, is it the fault of the pirates or og GL?

Stevetrooper

Galactic Groundpounder
Three things I noticed in "A New Hope" were 1: The sound Ben makes when scaring away the Sand People has been changed, 2: the lettering on the tractor beam controls that ben disables have been changed from english to alien lettering. And 3: The Dianoga in the garbage masher has had his eye updated. Has anybody else noticed any subtle changes?

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Speaking of Mr Burtt....and also speaking as someone who never before watched a movie with the commentary on....

Is it just me or where there times when you thought -

"for God's sake SHUT UP Ben, this is an important bit, I'd like to hear what someone else has to say now!!"

????

Maybe its just me, but I got pretty bored hearing about finding the right kind of electric wire (with GPS co-ords on how to find it again) and which type of spanner to hit it with to get the right tone for lasers etc......

I'd much rather have heard the illustrious Ms Fisher talking about the ACTUAL scene. Once or twice (at least) he went on through multiple scenes and I found I was getting irritable (nothing unusual there I hear you scream!)

Anyways, down off the soap box now - I feel better for letting that little tyrade out :)

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
It's been a while since i've seen any of the vhs versions, but this stood out to me. On Yavin, when they pan to the outside shoe of a Rebel Sentry on the tower, it then pans ot the jungle floor with animal noises before going into the rebel war room.

Is this new, special edition, or always been there?

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
they always include visual effects guys or in this case a sound guy in the commentary and they usually bore you to death with info you don't really care about. I'm always more interested in what the actors have to say.

don't take this commentary track as what you would find on most other dvd's.

lotr has the best commentary that i have seen. they have a track with only actors, a track with the director and writers and a track with the production people. i skipped the track with the production people, that weta guy drives me nuts.

i find it hard to beleive that they couldn't pull some more people in for the commentary, like mark hamill or anthony daniels, not to mention the countless minor actors that might have an interesting story to tell. maybe it's something we can look forward to in the future?

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
The LOTR DVDs actually have 4 commentary tracks. I've listened to the cast commentary and the director/writer commentary. For the director/writer commentary, Fran Walsh & Philippa Boyens were probably more entertaining to listen to than Peter Jackson.

The other 2 commentary tracks are the Special Effects team and the Pre/Post-Production Team. I may get around to listening to the Special Effects commentary because they stuck Alan Lee in there (but I hate listening to the WETA guy, so I dunno). The other commentary has Barry Osborne (producer) and the editor (along with other people) on it.

The cast commentary is far and away the best of the four on the 2 extended sets.

I'm hoping that when they get around to the "Saga Collection" that they allow for more commentary tracks and follow a similar pattern as LOTR.

--------

The extended DVD set for Return of the King now has an official release date of December 14th.

--------

Nightwing mentioned the Alien DVD set in another thread. I like the Alien DVD set, but if Lucas wanted to copy somebody's DVD presentation, he should look no further than LOTR.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
i just watched esb with the commentary and kershner's commentary is a great improvement. I mean this in the nicest way, but i never realized what a *goof* kershner is. i can't even imagine the conversations that he and lucas had about the movie. maybe we'll have to come up with a "Kershner's Quote" contest for the site.

"... and here comes that STUPID robot" :roflmao:

jfrog2002

Sith Master
Is it just me or did anyone else notice the yellow flashes during the saber battle in A New Hope? Everytime the sabers touched each other or got anywhere near each other there was a yellow flash. I don't remember seeing this and I do not like it. It detracts from the whole sequence.

Joe

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
The sabers, in general, did not look as good as I hoped they would in ANH.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
the yellow flashes also appear in the opening sequence, in the battel between tantiveIV and the destroyer.

has anyone noticed that luke's saber has a green tint when he's training with the remote on the falcon?