Official 'Lost' discussion thread

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
Anyone else watching ABC's Lost? I love it, I think it is an amazing show and there is a surprise every week! It was created by J.J. Abrahms, who created some of my favorite TV shows, Alias and Felicity.

I've read some spoilers, but not too many. The theories I've read about the show are pretty cool, I'll have to wait and see if any of them pan out.

My fave character has to be Charlie, the druggie ex-rock star played by LOTR hobbit Dominic Monaghan. Can't wait to see his backstory. :rock: Kate is cool too, I can't even imagine what she's done to have the U.S. marshals after her!

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
A plane headed for the US from Austraila crashes on a jungle island, there are 48 survivors. Their plane was 1000 miles off-course when it crashed, so the search effort is looking in the wrong place. The show is about how the survivors interact with each other, and some flashbacks to what brought the people to Australia, and why they were on the plane. There also seems to be *magic* on this island, and perphaps a monster as well.

Jedi Freezeman

Infiltrator
A friend has been taping it and gave me the first 2 episodes to watch. I can't wait to get the 3 rd and 4th from him... very interesting character mix. I have my theories on what is going on... but hey, I've only seen 2 episodes... :)

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
Oh, you are in for a treat. I think the 3rd episode tells Locke's backstory, that was sooooo awesome. Let me know what you think after you've seen it.

I wonder how long it will be before Claire has her baby...she looks ready to pop at any time. But she can't be too far along or else they probably wouldn't have let her on the airplane.

They haven't talked about it on the show yet, but I think something is fishy with the father/son storyline. He doesn't seem to know anything about his kid...even if he was separated from his son because of custody issues, I would hope he would remember how old he was. Makes me think maybe he was kidnapped or something.

Jedi Freezeman

Infiltrator
OK, so I'm up to date now...

So here are a few thoughts about what's goin on...

My first thought was, Is it an Island of Dr. Moreau thing going on? Strange experiments on animals?
Now I think it is a sort of Fantasy Island thing. People working out their life’s problems or are living out their dreams? Case in point: (Sorry I don't have the names down yet) The older balding gentleman who used to be in a wheel chair who now miraculously can walk and is living out his dream to live off the land on the island. The Doc, dealing with insecurities about 'having the right stuff' to be a leader and make decisions who follows a ghost of his dad to shelter and a water supply. The rock star who kicked his drug habit and was metaphorically compared to a moth gaining strength in his struggle. The Iraqi who just left because he was ashamed of what he did to the con man, in the next episode, it would appear that he then goes on the receiving end of the torture. As the 'old guy' said, there is a magic to the island. Many more characters they have not yet explored, again all separate from the real world, yet all still dealing with issues from their 'former' lives.

Maybe I should stop guessing and just watch the show!

obre

Spy
wookiee_cookiee said:
A plane headed for the US from Austraila crashes on a jungle island, there are 48 survivors. Their plane was 1000 miles off-course when it crashed, so the search effort is looking in the wrong place. The show is about how the survivors interact with each other, and some flashbacks to what brought the people to Australia, and why they were on the plane. There also seems to be *magic* on this island, and perphaps a monster as well.

Hey, just last night was a "Cast Away" with Tom Hanks. Only difference is that he's alone (at least untill he creates "Wilson").

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
That website has THE worst user interface I think I've ever seen. You have to click randomly with absolutely no idea what you're doing or where it'll take you. :banghead:

Lost starts playing here in New Zealand in the first week of February - it looks like someone simply decided to do Suvivor using known actors and scripts instead of unknown wannabe actors pretending to be "real" people and "real" situations. :)

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
The first season of Lost will be on DVD September 20. :)

This week's ep was great, I loved Hurley's story. Makes me think twice about playing the lottery. I guess I will have to be careful not to use cursed numbers. :D

The next new ep isn't until April! 6 weeks to watch the reruns and look for clues...

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Here's the links to a MadTV spoof of Lost. There's also this link (6.1MB, QuickTime), but I'm not quite sure if it's the same thing or a promo advert for the MadTV spoof.

Don't blame me if they're rubbish - I'm only on a 56K dial-up connection, so I haven't had time to download them yet. :(

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
Matthew Fox was a guest on Ellen Degeneres's talk show months and months ago, and they did a Lost skit that was so spot-on and so hysterical. I'm sure there is a d/l of it somewhere on the net.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
One idea floating around is that the whole thing is really a "dream" of Locke's imagination for the novel he's writing ... a little like the rumoured final episode for Enterprise where the whole show will be a holodeck entertainment (either faked or historical) being played by The Next Generation's Riker and Troi.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
From SciFi.com ...

Housewives, Lost Due On DVD
The first seasons of ABC's hit series Desperate Housewives and Lost will be released in complete box sets in September, Buena Vista Home Entertainment announced. Both DVD sets will feature complete season-one episodes and bonus materials.

The sets will be released just before the start of the hit shows' expected second seasons.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I'm not sure where this is from, but I "borrowed" it from the Usenet Newsgroups ...

ABC Television and Creation Entertainment Bring
the Official "Lost" Fan Club and Special Events to Cities Around the World

ABC Television and Creation Entertainment will be developing the official "Lost" fan club, with special events that will take place in cities around the world for the hit ABC television series from Touchstone Television.

The fan club is due to launch during the summer months, preceded by a roll-out of licensed merchandise to include apparel, photographs, glassware and other collectibles offered at www.lostfanclub.com.

The first official "Lost" fan convention will take place June 11 and 12 at the Hilton Hotel in Burbank, California. Actors and producers from the series will be on hand to speak to attendees, who are affectionately known as "Losties." The convention tour plans five additional stops in the next year.

"'Lost' has a tremendous fan following, and it is time we gave back to the fans. Creation Entertainment is an innovator in answering the needs of fans, and they are the perfect partner," said Bruce Gersh, senior vice president, Business Development for ABC Entertainment.

Creation Entertainment's vice president of Licensing, Erin Ferries, said: "Over the past 34 years, our company has been deeply involved in virtually every genre franchise property. 'Lost' executive producers, J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof and their team have created intriguing characters and storylines that have quickly developed a huge following. We're proud to be associated with "Lost", and look forward to developing innovative products and events for fans of the series."

Established in 1971, Creation Entertainment continues a 34-year tradition of producing the world's leading conventions for fans of genre television and films. Creation has organized over 2,300 events in major cities throughout the globe. An early innovator of marketing and merchandising to the fan market, Creation manufactures studio licensed apparel, glassware and collectibles.

"Lost" stars Naveen Andrews as Sayid, Emilie de Ravin as Claire, Matthew Fox as Jack, Jorge Garcia as Hurley, Maggie Grace as Shannon, Josh Holloway as Sawyer, Malcolm David Kelley as Walt, Daniel Dae Kim as Jin, Yunjin Kim as Sun, Evangeline Lilly as Kate, Dominic Monaghan as Charlie, Terry O'Quinn as Locke, Harold Perrineau as Michael and Ian Somerhalder as Boone.

J.J. Abrams, Damon Lindelof, Bryan Burk, Carlton Cuse and Jack Bender serve as executive producers. "Lost," which is filmed entirely on location in Hawaii, is from Touchstone Television.

The series airs on the ABC Television Network Wednesdays from 8:00-9:00 p.m., ET.

Are you a "Lostie"?? :rolleyes:

IG-PPO

Sith Hamsters Handler
Michelle Rodriguez (SWAT, Resident Evil) appeared yesterday in Lost in Jack's Flashback at the airport. She mentioned that she sits at the back of the plane, so the chances for her character survived the crash is low. But I would to see more of her in the series.

(Spoiler: Well in IMDB.COM says that she will be in be in next week on Lost. Maybe Jack did went to have a drink with her at the plane back. Could they have done the Mile High Club?)

IG-PPO

Sith Hamsters Handler
From E! online

A new Website has been launched for Lost's fictional Oceanic Airlines at Oceanic-Air.com, containing secret messages, behind-the-scenes info on the show and a trailer for season two. (Hint: Use Hurley's cursed numbers, if you dare.)