[Off Topic] Stargate Atlantis gets greenlight

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
For those that don't know, Stargate Atlantis is a second spin-off TV series (the first being the animated show) from the Stargate SG-1 series, which is a spin-off from the Stargate movie. :)

From ComingSoon.net ...
Sci Fi Takes Code Name, Develping Stargate Atlantis
The Sci Fi Channel has bought 26 episodes of Code Name: Eternity, a series dealing with an alien creature that takes on human form.

In addition, the network has greenlit 20 hours (including a two-hour opener) of Stargate Atlantis, a project in development for the last year and a sequel to Sci Fi's hit series Stargate SG-1.

"Eternity" is shot on the Isle of Man and features Billy Dee Williams in a recurring role. Sci Fi plans to premiere "Eternity" on Fridays, starting in January, in a two-hour primetime block with Stargate SG-1, which will kick off a batch of new hours.

"Atlantis" starts shooting early next year for a summer kickoff. When "Atlantis" begins on the schedule, it will be paired with "SG-1." Casting is now under way on "Atlantis."

From SciFi.com ...
Stargate Atlantis Spins Off
SCI FI Channel will spin off its hit Stargate SG-1 series into Stargate Atlantis, a weekly series set to premiere in the summer of 2004, the network announced. Production on 20 hourlong episodes of Stargate Atlantis is set to start in early 2004. The series is the result of an agreement between SCI FI and MGM Television Entertainment. The new series will debut alongside the upcoming eighth season of SG-1.

Stargate Atlantis will center on a secret Earth base left by the originators of the Stargate, buried among the ruins of the legendary city of Atlantis. A new team of explorers will travel to a distant galaxy, where a primitive human civilization is threatened by a sinister new enemy, SCI FI announced.

Stargate Atlantis will debut as a two-hour movie event on SCI FI and will feature crossover appearances by members of the SG-1 cast. Atlantis' regular timeslot will accompany SG-1.

Atlantis will be distributed by MGM Worldwide Television Distribution. Brad Wright and Robert Cooper will serve as executive producers on the new series. Cooper is currently executive producer on Stargate SG-1; Brad Wright is co-creator of Stargate SG-1 and served as the series' executive producer for six seasons.

:D

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
not really too sure what to think about this atlantis show. It sounds like it's going to move more in the direction of the "ancients"

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Not too worried about Atlantis, they could probably not bother with it. As long as they keep making SG-1, I'll be happy.

They could do with a lot more episodes involving battles with the Goa'uld though. Way too little of that lately.

BTW, what season are you guys seeing right now? We've just started getting season six (or is it seven?? never sure...DJ is back anyway)

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
i thought season 8 was when daniel came back which is the season that just finished a while back here. I thought that the next season was the 9th and final season.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
actually... i can't remember which season is which any more. the sci-fi channel shows that show monday throigh friday with 5 episodes on monday and 3 or 4 on friday from different seasons. Fox also shows it here on saturdays from yet another season that the sci-fi channel isn't using. I'm pretty sure the did just conclude season 8 a couple of months ago, here.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
We start the latest season (8?) here in New Zealand this up-coming Friday night at 9:30pm, but that means it's too late for me to watch it. Towards the end of the last season they shifted the timeslot up an hour and now the new season's in the same one. They've put the very stupid (and short-lived) Fastlane on at 8:30pm. :(

We haven't had the animated version yet.

Yoda Man

New Recruit
In Eastern USA, Seaon 8 is on SciFi Fridays at 9 PM and the reairing of the episode is on that night at 11 PM.