[Off Topic] Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by Buzz Bumble, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

Well, the latest in this silly trilogy has been released (and we had to put up with two hours of the premiere featured on last night's TV - on two out of the four channels - simply because it was filmed here. :rolleyes:

Anyway, these two bits are from yesterday's newspaper here. :)

2. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

Attached Files:

3. Yoda Man

Yoda Man New Recruit

Very funny buzz! I might try it.

4. Barada

Barada Saboteur

Buzz, is the first post a report, or reflective of your feelings about LOTR? You will be the first person I know who doesn't like it.

This must be simply the BEST trilogy since SW.

Barada

5. CloneCommanderBry

CloneCommanderBry New Recruit

I agree Barada. At the moment, I enjoy LOTR movies more then SW.

6. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

I've never actually seen any of the movies (or read the books, although I have played the Gameboy Advance games), but living here in New Zealand where it was filmed and Peter Jackson was born and lives means it's soooo over-hyped beyond belief that it's not funny. Even the national airline Air NZ has re-painted two planes into flying LotR posters. It gets VERY boring VERY quickly. :( It wouldn't surprise me if the imbeciles in Government made 24 November into a public "Peter Jackson Day" holiday. :rolleyes:

Whew! You're on the edge of blasphemy there, but didn't (quite) cross the line. ;)

7. Darth Aussie

Darth Aussie Australian Sith Lord

I vote for LOTR too. Quite good really and very well done. Wish more films were done to detail as this..:)

8. Nightwing

Nightwing New Recruit

Oh...I thought you were gonna say Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, in which Hugo weaving starred in :p

9. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Banned

That was funny Buzz, but you're not bashing The Lord Of The Rings correct, I mean you can't hate The Matrix wich is at a tie in my opinion for greatest movie or movies ever with the Star Wars series, AND hate the lord of the rings!! You can't just hate every good movie that comes along and doesn't have something to do with Star Wars!!!! But if you aren't trying to actually Dis LOTR then I made a mistake and just ignore this.....

10. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

One rule to ring them all: If it ain't got Star Wars in the title, then it ain't worth paying money to see. :D

11. Borsk

Borsk Administrator Staff Member

I would guess that LOTR has the potential to do great things for New Zealand's economy as far as tourism is concerned. So, it can't be all bad.

I like #2 and #4 in that list of things to do.

12. Nightwing

Nightwing New Recruit

I was gonna make the same point as borsk, but he beat me to it.

every cloud has a silver lining

13. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

That depends on how you look at it - is flooding your small country with lots of obnoxious, loud tourists clicking their cameras at everything in sight really a plus point?? ;)

Apart from the scenery, there's NOTHING here worth coming to see. There's no touristy places like Disneyland or Hollywood (the closest you get is skiing and bungy jumping in Queenstown down south), and it's a long, expensive way to come just to see a few mountains and lakes that you've no doubt got at a much closer location. Of course they are doing "see the LotR places" type of tour, but since almost all the actual set stuff has been taken away, you can only see a few hills (there was some fool planning to rebuild Hobbiton).

There is the BIG plaster soda bottle and KiwiFruit I suppose. ;)

14. Borsk

Borsk Administrator Staff Member

With tourism money, New Zealand could end up having more "stuff" than it wants. Honestly, I don't know very much about New Zealand as far as how rural it is, what the population is, etc (don't feel like looking that up, sorry). However, assuming it's fairly rural, it would be interesting to see if "industry" comes and destroys some of the natural environment. It would parallel some of the themes of the book/movie in a way.

Like I said, I have no idea what New Zealand is actually like or what the effect of the movies has been, so I may be off base.

15. Nightwing

Nightwing New Recruit

That's the reason that New Zealand is among the three places I want to visit in the world(plus I love the all blacks- damn ausies! :mad: )

The other two- Ireland and Canada

Who needs Disney*? New Zealand is one of the most beautiful places on this planet!

16. Zepp

Zepp Interstellar Buccaneer

actually when I went to Thai I stayed at my wife's friend's fiance's father's sister in law's bungalow (at a discount :D) which happened to be located on Phiphi Don, The Beach was filmed on Phiphi Lay which was only a short boat ride away. It was only a couple bucs to head over there so we made a day of it, grabbed some snorkels and headed over. We went past the Viking's cave and past another beach, did some coral diving and whatnot. Finally we got to The Beach, which we managed to see by positioning the small longtail boat at an angle where we could see between the two or three dozen boats that were there. The coral seemed to be suffering some as it was overcrowded and there were alot of diving and snorkelling tours being offered. It was quite absurd. I wouldn't have gone if it wasn't so close to where I was staying, but to see so many id... tourists flocking to a place because DiCaprio happened to make a movie there...

anyway, there are two things you need to know about NZ, first the sheep outnumber the people by 3:1 (correct me if I'm wrong Buzz) and second you've already seen the good parts of it in LotR, Hercules and Xena... so unless you're either making a movie that takes place when the earth was young or happen to be in Australia and are able to pop over for a short inexpensive visit it really isn't worth going... This is what my NZ friend told me but I might have gotten the sheep to person ratio a little off...

and a bad joke from an Australian friend...

(What did the New Zealander say to the sheep? Are you my daaaaaaaaaaad?)

17. Nightwing

Nightwing New Recruit

can you reallyy compare watching a tv show that was shot in New Zealand to actually being there first hand?!?!

I hardly think so!

watching a bit too much of the Matrix? ;)

18. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

I've no idea about the actual sheep:human population ratio, but I do know that China in high in sheep numbers (I can't remember if it was the highest ratio or the highest production).

I'd agree, if you've watched LotR, and (if you must!) Xena, Hercules, Young Hercules, The Piano, Whale Rider, Walking With Dinosaurs, etc. then you've seen all the best bits scenery-wise and avoided all the long expensive travel between locations ... there's NOTHING else to see that can't be seen elsewhere that's closer and cheaper for you to get to. That's what happens when you plonk a country miles from anywhere in the back-of-beyond of the planet. :)

19. Nightwing

Nightwing New Recruit

given he choice, I'd rather live in a country that is barren than a city with pollution, cars bleeping all the time when you are trying to go to sleep.

Where I am now, you have a town, and perfect land, not a city with skyscrapers and shops everywhere

20. Nightwing

Nightwing New Recruit

...and lots of sheep, but not as many as where buzz is :)