Obi-Wan's Delta Starfighter

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
So last week I picked up the new Delta-2 Starfighter at Target. This is based on the new starship design that was introduced halfway through the clone wars. The starship is essentially th same as the earlier Delta-1 starfighters, with the primary difference being a central droid socket, allowing full-size astromechs to navigate, instead of the smaller dome-sized navigation astromechs that were attached to the ships.

The toy is all new and has some surprising new play features, that I actually like a lot. The only real downside is the large missle launchers on the top of the hull, which aren't very attractive.

New highlights include the newly designed cockpit, which is larger and can handle a variety a figures....the Delta-1 had issues with this. It also has a drop-down missle launcher on the bottom, instead of landing gear. There is also a droid socket that can fit most astromechs. (Plo Koon's droid is filling in for the photos today.) One added feature is that the droid socket doubles as a second cockpit, so you can put a full-size action figure there instead of a droid. Of course, this person would be exposed to the void of space, so this maneuver might be better suited to atmospheric flight. ;) The biggest play feature is this ship separates in the middle, making two starfighters: The main starfighter, when separated, resembles a ROTS-style Jedi Starfighter, while the front section becomes a drone ship the Astromech can pilot.

Overall, I find it to be a fun feature. In the photos, I have some clones piloting the ship.....for some reason it reminds me of the Stormtrooper airspeeder that was featured in the Holiday Special or Droids cartoon. I can't find a photo right now...but I'll post it if I do. Incidentally, the ship also looks pretty cool in it's half-separated mode...seen in the bottom left photo.

3083328870_1fd6b2bdb9_o.jpg