No one online

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
So I logged on tonight, and no one was here. You'd think the OT came on dvd or something,and everyone was glued to their tv's. ;)

Hmm......if every SW fan is watching the dvd's, who bidding on ebay? :evil:

FYI....firs thing I did when i came home from work was watch A New Hope. I'm saving the rest for tomorrow and the next night.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
darthskelington said:
FYI....firs thing I did when i came home from work was watch A New Hope. I'm saving the rest for tomorrow and the next night.
I went straight for the bonus disc. Overall I was pleased. I wish there was more behind-the-scenes footage and less "history of star wars" and "impact on later movies" stuff.

Barada

Saboteur
I went straight to the bonus disc too. Watched everything except Empire of Dreams (which I saw in the edited format on A&E), and the posters. Most were good, especially the character development mini-doc. Anyone else notice just how old and frail Ralph McQuarrie is looking? The lightsaber special was okay, but went on a little long. The Episode III preview was a little disappointing. 10 minutes of building the suit for Vader, and then a brief shot of Hayden wearing it. At least the practice sessions between Ewan and Hayden for their big fight scene looked okay.

Then I went to ANH. They fixed a few things which were impressive improvements. Vader's saber color after he kills Obi-Wan, the Landspeeder as it enters Mos Eisley, Jabba, and even the Greedo/Han confrontation looks way better.

However, why would they not fix the mistake that shows R5-D4 behind R2 in the next shot after R5 already blew his stack? One of the shots of the TIE Fighters attacking the Falcon after it escapes from the DS still shows the box around it from the layering process. And what is up with that new Krayt Dragon howl Obi-Wan gives?

I then went to watch ANH again with the commentary. It was so boring I actually fell asleep halfway through - now I have to watch it again. It would have been nice if the commentary had been all four people sitting in a room interacting with each other. Instead, it appears as if they simply took quotes from everyone, and inserted them into the appropriate spots.

Lucas sounded disninterested for the most part, and I can't tell how many times in the first half hour he mentioned that this was taken from the Droids perspective, or that the story revolved around the droids...no, it revolved around Luke...no itrevolved around Vader....no the first half hour intercut between Leia's and Luke's stories. Very disorganized on Lucas' part, and he seems to contradict himself way too many times. Not good.

On the plus side, Carrie Fisher as always is refreshing to hear talk about it, and Ben Burtt had some of the most interesting behind-the-scenes comments. In the first half of the movie, at least, Dennis Muren barely said anything.

Tonight, it's on to Empire and Jedi.

Barada

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
McQuarrie is not looking good.

Lucas' commentary tracks have a track record of being boring (ep1, ep2 & THX-1138). I still have to give the award for worst commentary/bonus feature to the lead visual effects guy that worked on LOTR.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Straight to the bonus disc for me too. Pretty happy overall. Empire of Dreams was good, nicely put together.

Gotta admit I've never EVER been bored enough to watch anything in commentary mode, but I'll probably try it out with one of these at some point. :)

The best / most interesting for me was seeing and hearing the original scenes with Dave Prowse - minus the JEJ overdub. Loved that!

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Darth Boru said:
Straight to the bonus disc for me too. Pretty happy overall. Empire of Dreams was good, nicely put together.

Gotta admit I've never EVER been bored enough to watch anything in commentary mode, but I'll probably try it out with one of these at some point. :)

The best / most interesting for me was seeing and hearing the original scenes with Dave Prowse - minus the JEJ overdub. Loved that!
A DVD commentary track can sometimes be fairly entertaining. For example, you should listen to the cast commentary for any of the LOTR movies.

In general, the commentary track is usually much better when the people record the commentary together in the same room and can react to each other.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
darthskelington said:
Is the LOTR cast commentary on the Theatrical or Extended dvds?
I doubt there's a commentary track for the theatrical version and if there is it probably isn't the same as the extended version.

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
Home ill so i fired up ANH. Empire and Jedi on the weekend. I'll fit the bonus disc in there somewhere. What's the Hayden wearing suit stuff like, ok?

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
The Ep.3 preview is neat, just enough to get you warmed up for the movie. You get the feel that everything is going to come together in this movie. Otherwise, nothing too revealing about the movie itself, other than the duel.

I really enjoyed seeing the old Trailers, especially the teasers that included cut scenes or intentional misleads. Plus the blue saber in Jedi.

The still photo gallery is great, with most of the captions worth reading too. Lot's of cool pictures of actors or characters not seen before. Plus a lot of really hot pics of Carrie Fisher (sorry, I can't lie ;) )

Did anyone else see the Episode 3 mention on the caption to one of the ESB photos? Nuff said.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Watched ANH with the commentary on today. Pretty good, I see what you mean Borsk.

I'll give the others a go over the next while :)

Stevetrooper

Galactic Groundpounder
Something else that you could never do before that is mildly amusing (at least for a few minutes) is hearing the movies in Spanish or French. :) The French C-3PO kind of works, but Vader is just wrong in either case. To bad you can't hear the Imperial officers in German!

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that. I love watching them in foreign. As soon as I got done I rewatched the Cantina fight in Spanish :D I'll have to watch a whole movie sometime.

When it first came out, a friend and I watched E1 in spanish. We were at his dorm, amd had it blaring and the windows/door open, to see what kinda looks we'd get. ;)

I also watched AOTC in French, and adjusted the color on my tv to black and while. It had a really cool retro/pulp feel to it.