News: More Hasbro Unleashed and OTC Chewie This Fall

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
have they really made enough unleashed figures to come out with an entire wave of rehashed figures?

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
cmon Hasbro!! Stop re-packaging stuff and get original!

The unleashed line was great until you started re-issues.

Just plain stinks!

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
From a Carded Collector point of view, reissues really suck. From a Loose colelctor's point of view, reissues aren't a big deal. In fact, they can be helpful.

Unleashed has been very difficult to find in my area. Typically TRU will get a case or two of each wave and that's it. I, for one, have never seen either Vader figure, Dooku, or Mace Windu. Others I have only seen once, like Padme, Anakin, White Clone, or Yoda. I'm sure others I've only had one opportunity to buy as well, but I actually bought those ones and stopped looking.

So....it swings both ways.....

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
i have no problem with putting a figure out again to help get them into the hands of the people who didn't get them the first time around but there are a few problems with doing this ....

hasbro puts a figure out that no one really wants (or not as many people want) and it creates a pegwarmer like we have recently seen with the Sidious/Palpatine unleashed figure. for a line like the unleashed, this is especially bad since stores are not going to restock pegs that are full and/or order the new figures being created which will ultimately end this line.

hasbro might see a reissued figure not selling as well and produce less. once it is known that a figure was produced in low quantities, in come the scalpers and the same people who didn't get these figures the first time around, don't get them the second time around either and their price on the secondary market goes through the roof.

reissued figures generally lower the value of the first release to some degree and this is not good for anyone who thinks that their collection is going to have some kind of value for them in the future.

of course re-issued figures could be better for the line than some of the characters they could do. Take the upcoming IG-88 figure ... i don't see this figure doing nearly as well as most of the characters that came before him, unless he is short-packed (which creates a different set of problems but doesn't really hurt the line)

Slave Leia is a good example of a figure that did need to be released again. so, there are always exceptions.

with christmas just around the corner, retailers may not have problems moving these figures and hopefully hasbro understands this and does not start forcing more re-issues on us in this line. it's a line i would like to see continue but it will die if it goes in this direction.

back to IG-88 .... i think there are much better characters that could have been done before this one. even using a character that we have see before in a new pose/outfit would do much better i think.

with that said, would anyone like to suggest "new" characters that they would like to see in this line? here are some of mine ....

Leia/bouschh
Jawa/R2 (2pack)
Lando
Stormtrooper/Sandtrooper
Scouttrooper
Ewok (2pack with another ewok or with another character)
Plo Koon, Saesee Tiin, Kit Fisto or just about any of the Jedi
Qui-Gon Jinn
Watto
Sebulba
Zam Wessell
Jango/Maul (New/better sculpts)

i would buy any or all of those before i bought IG-88, given the choice. Any other suggestions?

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I like many of your suggestions. I happen to be quite fond of IG-88, although he/it is a very difficult character to put into an interesting action pose. Sort of like trying to pose a coat rack ;)

I'd go for Zuckuss or 4-LOM (or better yet the two of them together)

Greedo, Gamorrean Guard, or other nteresting aliens.

A Royal Guard could be really cool if done ala Crimson Empire.

I personally have no interest in a Qui-Gon, Watto, or Sebulba. Chalk it up to E1 burn-out.

sentinal

Hunter
I would like to see Qui-Gon, Zam, and any of the other bounty hunters. Some Imperial Troops (stormtroopers, scouts, tie pilots, ATST/ATAT pilots) would be nice. Tey could even do say a Impr. troops/ Rebel trooper 2 pack?
But the one I really want to see is the Royal Guard. Like darthskelington said they could do a Crimson Empire pose. That would be great. Or maybe a Obi-wan from ANH.

Just my $0.02.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
darthskelington said:
I personally have no interest in a Qui-Gon, Watto, or Sebulba. Chalk it up to E1 burn-out.

i don't really see them making an unleashed sebulba or watto, my point here is that i would buy them before i would buy IG-88.

I do think that qui-gon would be a good one to have and i'll explain what would make him a good choice. let's say that hasbro starts to think beyond the individual character pose that they currently use in the unleashed line. let's say they were to do "themed" waves. they could make a qui-gon that stands alone and looks very nice or could be interlocked in with a new maul unleashed that comes along in the same wave .... and maybe even a young obi-wan. 3 figures in the assortment that could be bought and displayed individually or locked together to recreate the theed duel or maybe the taooine duel.

i think this line has potential and i would like to see it take on some of the better qualities that we have recently seen in the 3.75" line and not the bad ones.