New here

Discussion in 'Autograph Collecting' started by starwarssisters, Aug 13, 2013.

1. starwarssisters

starwarssisters Junior Spy

I know I should probably know this by now, but I'm thinking about sending some requests to the UK for the first time, and I don't know what to do about the SAE. I probably need to ask if the post office has IRC's, but I don't even know if they exist anymore. If they don't have those, what should I send?

2. starwarssisters

Also, I have a question about my letters. I haven't been asking questions to the celebrities in the letters, and should I?

3. SWfan

SWfan Infiltrator

I send cash for return postage. $2-3 for small envelope (trading cards/4x6's), $5-6 for 8x10s. It works pretty good for me.

darthskellington likes this.
  4. SWfan

SWfan Infiltrator

It doesn't really matter. You can if you want to, if you don't then don't. I usually ask a couple questions in my letters and I've received some awesome reply letters back.

darthskellington likes this.
  5. starwarssisters

Today I signed up for a one month membership for StarTiger. It's really awesome! There's a ton of addresses that I couldn't find on any of the free sites like fanmail.biz.

SWfan and darthskellington like this.
  6. darthskellington

darthskellington Dark Lord of the Typos

Yeah, IRCs are a thing of the past, but cold hard cash still gets results, for about the same price if not less. The most I can suggest in letter writing is to try and be sincere. It can be hard to be original in a letter after writing 20-30 requests. They all start to sound the same. But, I find it's helpful to review the actors credits on IMDB, and see if they were involved in anything else you liked. That can give you a little something more to talk about. I would sometimes ask the actor to help clarify which character they were in a scene...(like troopers, pilots, or guards). Sometimes they can speak specifically about it, sometimes they can't. I found it was a good conversation point, that way I could place there autograph with a photo later, in the case of background characters where it is uncertain if they are even in the picture you send. I would also sometimes ask them to suggest films they have been in to watch, if I wanted to see more of their work, or ask if they have any upcoming projects they might be appearing in.

I wouldn't try and force a conversation if you just can't come up with anything. That's perfectly ok. However, I agree with SWfan. You can sometimes get some really cool responses...even whole letters in response...sometimes handwritten.

7. starwarssisters

Yeah, I kind of thought IRCs weren't around anymore. I'm sending out a few requests this week, and I'm trying to be more specific and have some questions in my letters. As you said, after you send out a few requests they all get kind of similar. Getting a subscription to StarTiger got me excited again, I haven't sent any requests in a month...

8. SWfan

SWfan Infiltrator

Yeah, Startiger is awesome! Lol. It's also really helpful for keeping track of your collection and organizing everything. :)

9. starwarssisters

I really like how I can track which requests I have pending, and which ones I have out. No more tracking in a notebook! :)

10. starwarssisters

I sent out five autograph requests yesterday to...
    Peter Cullen
    Steve Downes
    Kate Capshaw
    John Rhys-Davies
    Britt Nicole
    ...I used addresses from StarTiger, I believe they sould come back successfully.

11. SWfan

SWfan Infiltrator

Good luck! I got a great reply from John Rhys-Davies back in 2010. :)

12. starwarssisters

Well, the past month has been interesting for TTM. :) I have had SO many return to senders, it's crazy. I got the second RTS from Britt Nicole, the second for Catherine Taber, and another from Liv Tyler. Apparently almost no one from Lord of the Rings signs TTM. Bummer. Although I did get an amazing response from Karen Allen! She sent me a black and white 8x10 of herself signed and personalized to me!

13. darthskellington

darthskellington Dark Lord of the Typos

Nice response on the Karen Allen. Sorry to hear about all the RTS, that can be frustrating.

14. SWfan

SWfan Infiltrator

Congrats on Karen! I also got a reply from her recently. :) For Lord Of The Rings cast, watch for them to do plays and send there or find a movie set to send to. I was able to get Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving and Ian McKellen via plays. Ian's actually still on Broadway til next year.