New front page

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I know we have a poll on the front page about this, but i wanted to ask the members what they thought of the new page.
What do you like?
What don't you like?
Let us know.

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
Well, I like you guys so don't take this personally, but I don't like it at all.
It takes forever to load on my slow comp, and I miss being able to skim through the news. It looks great when it finally loads, but I'm not going to wait for it to load when I have to check the forums for the news anyway.

:bash: <-me after Borsk & Amshak read this post!

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
There are a few things that could be causing the slowness. The new page is more graphically intense, however I suspect that there may be other reasons for the slowness you're experiencing.

I have a few ideas on how to fix this, but you could help me out by telling me:

1) how fast your computer is: processor speed, memory, that sort of thing

2) What browser do you use?

3) how fast your internet connection is

Keep in mind that just because you (I'm assuming) have a 56K modem doesn't mean that you're connecting at speeds in that range. It's not uncommon to have a phone line that sucks and will only let you connect at, say, 28.8K.

If you could e-mail this information back to me, it will help. I may be able to make some adjustments that will speed things up for you.

Part 2:

I have a plan for presenting the news in a format that's fit for skimming, but I haven't had time to do it yet. I think you'll be happy with the results (once I get it going).

Deathstar

Visit vacation paradise!
I can't help but say that I liked the old format better. Maybe it's just the change and the front page has a scattered look. Guess I'm used to the previous straight forward look and easier to read.

I'm also confused on the Forum News section. Site News, Espionage Reports and Spynet News, I'm not sure what these boards are for? Is this Moderator posted news? Can members respond? Can members post news here?

I would trust that the site will continue to be member user friendly and not get too complicated. Thank you!

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
About Site News, Espionage Report, and Spynet news:

Regular members cannot start new threads here. This doesn't mean that you can't post *replies*, just that you can't begin a new topic. I have color-coded these forums so that so you can easily recognize where you are. If you see a darker background and a special logo in the corner, then you are in an area where:

-- Only Moderators can start threads.

-- You can reply as much and as often as you like.

I mentioned this in my response to WC but I'll say it again - I have an alternative way to view the news in the works, but it isn't ready yet. Hopefully I can get it done tonight...but no promises. This will present the content of the news (as seen in the espionage report) in a straight ahead format.

I know there are a few things to still work out and, trust me, I'm not totally done working on it. Your feedback is welcome.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I put this together real quick to give you an idea of where I'm going with the news. I'm not done with it. I haven't spent much time on it, so no complaints - yet.

here

Basically, you (the viewer) will end up with 3 different ways to view the news.

vfermi

Consultant
new look

Kevin and Brian,

I wanted to say that I LIKE the new look... but...

1) I have a very fast computer with a very fast connection so my views are not necessarily representative...

2) you guys have really pushed the envelope with the "technology", Im most impressed by your look and I prefer it to all of the "big guys"

3) thanks for the direct link to ST:)

4) with that said, I think it IS a little "busy" so much going on. Im not sure what could get cut or rearranged....maybe the stuff at the bottom. Maybe the daily news graphic...

5) I cant wait to start posting in the spynet.

great job...

vaughn

Redleader

New Recruit
I agree with Vaughn.

When you load the page it's like.....BAM! all this info. I really like that and I like the way it's presented, but it does seem busy or something. I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

I think my favorite thing is the little scrolling part that says what's going on at the other sites. You just don't see that type of thing anywhere else.

Redleader

New Recruit
Originally posted by Borsk
About Site News, Espionage Report, and Spynet news:

Regular members cannot start new threads here. This doesn't mean that you can't post *replies*, just that you can't begin a new topic. I have color-coded these forums so that so you can easily recognize where you are. If you see a darker background and a special logo in the corner, then you are in an area where:

-- Only Moderators can start threads.

-- You can reply as much and as often as you like.

I just tried to reply to the Yoda thread, but it said I didn't have permission. I wasn't trying to start a new thread, just reply to one. Maybe this is why no regular members have replied in that section yet.;)

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Everyone's feedback will help shape the way that we do things. We can't make everyone happy, but we will try. There were several reasons for going with the news on the front page this way. The most important reason for me, was that I wanted all of the members to be able to interact with the news topics w/o having to start another thread within the forums. I would think that this would appeal to everyone. You could share your views on the subject and see what others think, all right there on he same thread. I could be wrong.
Redleader, it is probably just a setting that Borsk will have to change to let everyone be able to do this.
Since Vaughn brought it, let me ask this...
How many of you like the "daily graphic"?
I like it, but i'm the one who does it.
We want to make it appealing to as many people as we can. We also want to make the site as interactive as possible.
Continue to share you thoughts and ideas.
Thanks

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, you should be able to reply to the news now. I would've sworn I had that setup right...must have slipped my mind...

I may make some changes to the front page to make it less busy. I have a few ideas of my own...

What I'm hearing though, is that people like being able to just read the news straight down. Here's the deal on that - I'm setting it up so that news originates from the forum. So if you like reading stuff in the forum, then you'll like reading the news here too. I'm setting it up on the front page in such a way that it just gives you the minimum amount of information to conserve space. I can understand people not liking the way it's presented, but it will not change at this time. If it helps any, I have a hint for you. Hold your mouse over the link to get a summary of the post.

Now, the third part of my news attack is called the "Extended News". It should be ready to go very soon. It presents the news on its own page in a format very similar to the old front page.

Given these three news options, I think I will be able to keep everyone happy. AND, it saves our (the staff's) time because we only have to post it one place.

I appreciate the feedback. I will attempt to incorporate everyone's comments into the page to make it a better experience for you.

Redleader

New Recruit
Still being denied......

This post also gives me an excuse to try some new smilies!
link.gif
smileystooges.gif
guard.gif

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Strange....I just tested it and it worked fine. Can you try again and make sure that you're clicking on "post reply" and not "new thread". Let me know...

Redleader

New Recruit
It works now. My reply went through a couple of minutes ago....

Thanks Borsk, I'm sure we were giving you headaches!
smilie_head1.gif

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Now that it has been up for a while for everyone to absorb, has any of the previous opinions changed?
I've been discussing some different things we could do with the front page with Borsk and I'm sure he has a few ideas that he's keeping to himself, but everyone's feedback is important to us.
We want to make it as user friendly as possible... that's one of the main reasons that we're slamming you with so much info in a small area.... the idea being, you don't have to go anywhere to find it, it's all right there for you to see.
I also liked the old news format, but it would just not work with this type of a layout.
So,... anymore input?

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Using some of your comments, I have made several modifications to the front page. I've attempted to make something that takes the best parts of the last 2 versions of the page and melds them together. Hopefully, this will make everyone happy.

If there's something that you'd like to see changed, he's your chance to let me know.

:vader:

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
Hey,
None of the links in the 'underground' work for me. It is probably a Mac thing... I click and nothing happens, on all the links. With the previous new front page 'forum' and 'chat' worked, now none work....heeeelp! Any other mac users having probs? Or anyone at all??:confused: