[Mac] Star Wars: Battlefront announced

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
From MacMinute ...

Star Wars: Battlefront coming to the Mac
Aspyr Media today announced they will publish Star Wars: Battlefront, with an anticipated release in June 2005.

"Battlefront is an action/shooter game that gives fans and gamers the opportunity to re-live and participate in all of the classic Star Wars battles like never before. Players can select one of a number of different soldier types, jump into any vehicle, man any turret on the battlefront and conquer the galaxy planet-by-planet online with their friends or offline in a variety of single player modes."

Star Wars: Battlefront will soon be available for pre-order through Aspyr's web site for US$49.99.
YIPPEE!! :D
Thank goodness I didn't buy the Windoze version I was looking at in the shop eariler today.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
This is one game you're gonna LOVE Buzz :-

No story line.

No puzzles.

No silly side games.

Just knock-down, drag-out, eye-gouging, blast-em-to-smithereens FUN :guns:

:shot: :bash: :smack: :sword: :frag: :detonate: :vader:

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Darth Boru said:
This is one game you're gonna LOVE Buzz
First they have to finish it, then I have to buy it, then I have to spend a huge pile of money buying a new Mac setup that's able to run it ... and then I have to actually get time to install and play it, unlike almost all the other Star Wars games sitting on my shelf. Even then I'm so hopeless at these 3D games that I probably won't get past level 2 - and that's if it doesn't make me travel sick trying to play it. :(

BUT it's Star Wars and it's on the Mac - I have to buy it to encourage them to keep making more. :D

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Sounds like its gonna be an expensive game for you Buzz, but you'll love it all the more for that :)

Seriously though, maybe try it out at the store or go round and camp in someones garden til they let you try theirs first.......would be a shame to be disappointed after upgrading like mad.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think, personally, that Battlefront is a game that's worth upgrading your system for unless you were already wanting to upgrade or you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

Of course, I also think the only Star Wars games that have been made that are any good are: X-Wing, TIE Fighter and Rebellion. Battlefront is ok. If I want to play a shooter, I'd rather go with Doom 3, Half Life 2 or the most recent Wolfenstein game. They're not Star Wars, but they're much better games.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I also need to upgrade this old Mac to be able to play any of the recent-ish games that I've bought: Jedi Outcast, Knights of the Old Republic, etc. ... oh yeah, and probably for work too.

It is a six or so year old computer, but being a Mac it's still easily useful for working on, except Apple went and made Mac OS X so when you buy new software it won't work on this old version of the operating system. Since this model Apple have also changed all the plugs to USB, etc. so it either means buying a pile of adapters or buying a complete computer set-up (scanner, printer, etc.). Either way it's going to be expensive when I finally decide I have to. :(

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
It's now shipping! :)

Aspyr ships Star Wars Battlefront for Macintosh
Aspyr today announced that it is now shipping Star Wars Battlefront for Macintosh, an open-ended single-player and multiplayer action game. "Battlefront, which allows players to re-live all of the epic battles from the classic and prequel Star Wars film trilogies, is licensed from LucasArts and developed for the Mac by Beenox Studios. Pricing is set at US$49.99.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Well, with Apple turning to the Dark Side and planning to use Intel chips in future Macs I'm a bit stumped:
  • Do I buy a new Mac now, before the changeover, which means after the changeover software will start fading out for the older chips - meaning another upgrade quicker than perhaps would have been necessary (I've had this Mac for nearly 7 years!), :(
  • Do I wait and buy a new MacIntel which would run the new software, but will run the older software under it's "transparent" emulation - meaning probably slow performance for the games I have now and haven't played (or NO performance for some of the older ones if they decide to ditch the older "Classic" OS emulation, which looks likely), :(
  • There's no way I'm using Windoze, so do I simply say "sod it" and drop out of the computer age entirely and become a zoo keeper cleaning out the elephant cages. ;)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I think you should forget about everything and get yourself a copy of Battlefield 2.