LucasFilm Takes Over Fan Club Again

Barada

Saboteur
043004.hyper.jpg
From the Official Site:

As Star Wars blasts forward into Episode III and beyond, the Fan Club has come home to Lucasfilm for the first time since 1987, and is offering more to fans than ever before.

To accomplish this, Lucasfilm has joined Hyperspace, Star Wars Insider and the Fan Club together for the first time. Membership in Hyperspace: The Official Star Wars Fan Club brings you the greatest benefits package ever.

Read more here.

Barada

Saboteur

The Official Star Wars Fan Club is Back Home at Lucasfilm – and Better than Ever
April 28, 2004

As Star Wars blasts forward into Episode III and beyond, the Fan Club has come home to Lucasfilm for the first time since 1987, and is offering more to fans than ever before.

To accomplish this, Lucasfilm has joined Hyperspace, Star Wars Insider and the Fan Club together for the first time. Membership in Hyperspace: The Official Star Wars Fan Club brings you the greatest benefits package ever. When you sign up with the Fan Club, you get:

one year of access to starwars.com Hyperspace
six-issue one year subscription to Star Wars Insider magazine
membership kit
discounts and early purchases at StarWarsShop.com
access to member-only fan events
interaction with your local and global fan community
All of this and much more are yours for a single annual membership price of just $39.95 in the U.S. and $49.95 in Canada. Click here to join now!

I don't know about anyone else, but this raises some scary questions. First of all, they have scaled back on publication of the Insider. If I'm not mistaken Paizo was running on a six-week run, for nine issues a year. Now it's bi-monthly again with only 6? That's a step backwards if you ask me.

The membership kit is okay, but nothing to write home about. It's more full of promotional material than goodies for members.

Further down the page at the official site it reveals that there will be exclusives for Hyperspace members soon. Whether they're trinkets or figures, all this can do is further alienate the collectors that cannot afford or get Hyperspace. It also says members will get 'special treatment' at Celebration III. They said Fan Club members would get special treatment at CII also, but the only benefit was getting in first - which could still take an hour or more to do considering the number of people there.

For $40 ($50 Canadian!) I don't think one is getting nearly enough for their money. I try to be positive about this hobby, but this type of thing scares me. Will membership to the Insider still be available separately? It's looking more and more that if you want to be a valued member of Lucasfilm's fans, you have to give them way too much money. I see it as paying for a friend, which sucks.

Telling it as I see it here, and believe me, I hope I'm wrong.

Barada

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Because it's moved back to LucasFilm, the Insider magazine is yet again no longer available to those outside the US and Canda. :toed:

There's already been a petition (at least one) started at Star Wars Insider for all if anyone wants to sign it ... doubtful it'll do any good, but it only takes a minute to sign.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
paizo.com .....

1) How do I become a Fan Club member?

U.S. and Canadian residents, simply fill-out an online form to join the Fan Club for just $39.95. ($49.95 in Canada). Payment can be made by major credit card, or you can choose to be billed later.

The Fan Club is open to members worldwide. For $19.95, fans living outside the U.S. and Canada can join the Fan Club and receive all of the membership benefits, including full access to starwars.com Hyperspace online content, StarWarsShop.com discounts and exclusives, and fan event perks. International members do not receive Star Wars Insider magazine, nor a membership kit. Click here to join our international subscription.

2) I am currently subscribed to Insider and/or starwars.com Hyperspace? When should I join the new Fan Club? What happens to my current subscriptions?

To receive full online and offline benefits of the new Fan Club, join today.

For current Insider subscribers who join now, your magazine subscription will be extended by six issues when you join Hyperspace: The Official Star Wars Fan Club, and you will immediately begin to receive full benefits of membership.

Similarly, current starwars.com Hyperspace members who join now will simply have their online access extended by one year when you join the new Fan Club and you will immediately begin to receive full benefits, including six issues of Star Wars Insider.

Current subscribers to Insider and/or Hyperspace who do not join in the new Fan Club will continue to receive their subscriptions for the remainder of their subscription period.

Sign up now! You won't want to miss any of the Star Wars action with the new Hyperspace: The Official Star Wars Fan Club.

3) Can I subscribe to just online or just the magazine?

No. We've united the best of our online and offline benefits into one great package. Save over 25% off of regular subscription prices. U.S. and Canada membership is available only as a complete package.

4) Can fans outside the U.S. and Canada get a membership kit or Star Wars Insider magazine?

Not at this time. We may evaluate other offerings in the future.

You may also be eligible to subscribe to local Star Wars magazines in the U.K., France, Spain, Mexico and Germany.

5) What is the automatic renewal option?

For added convenience, to make sure that you don't miss a single day of Star Wars excitement (or lose your Star Wars email address), you can choose to be automatically renewed when your current subscription expires. If you pay by credit card your card will be charged in a year, otherwise we will simply send you a bill.

6)When will I gain access to starwars.com Hyperspace?

When you join the club, you will receive an email with your starwars.com Hyperspace access code within 48 hours.

When you receive your coupon, log on to starwars.com (or create a new account) and enter the code in the Join / Renew section of Member Services. Your year of access to Hyperspace content and features will begin immediately when you enter your code.

7) When will I get my first issue of the Insider?

Star Wars Insider is published six times a year, roughly every second month. You will receive an issue within 8 to 10 weeks.

8) When will I get my membership kit?

Membership kits are sent in groups throughout the year. Please allow up to 12 weeks for delivery.

9) Can I cancel my subscription?

Annual offers cannot be cancelled.

However, if you sign-up for the automatic renewal option, you are free to cancel at any time by contacting the subscriber services team at GMEcustserv@email.cdsfulfillment.com.

10) I am a Star Wars Insider subscriber. How many issues do I have left?

When you sign up for the Fan Club, your current subscription will be extended by six issues. Contact the subscriber services team at GMEcustserv@email.cdsfulfillment.com for more information on your subscription.

Barada

Saboteur
AmShak said:
paizo.com .....

3) Can I subscribe to just online or just the magazine?

No. We've united the best of our online and offline benefits into one great package. Save over 25% off of regular subscription prices. U.S. and Canada membership is available only as a complete package.

Just as I feared. If you want the magazine, you have to have their crappy online joke. I guess when my subscription runs out, I won't be getting the Insider anymore. I don't want to pay that much for the magazine and the 'special features' Hyperspace offers.

This is a horrible move by Lucasfilm. With interest going down in Star Wars these days, you don't alienate your subscribers of years by forcing them to buy something they don't want for much more money.

Barada

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Of course, they left off one question: I liked things the way they were. Where do I go to tell Lucasfilm to go to ****? :D

JEDI FREIJAN

a.k.a. Darth Kraam
Who needs all this stupid hyper crap.I had it and never used as I found this site "The Bothan Spy" a much happier place to be.I still get sent hyper space emails every few days that clog up my inbox.

Just give us more Toys & more Movies.All the other stuf is a waist of money.

sentinal

Hunter
I have always meant to get a subscribtion to the Insider. But if this is the way it is to be done then I'll just continue to buy it a my local bookstore. I have no use for hyperspace.com.