Lucasfilm sues Gen Con for Breach of Contract

Jedi_Joel

Agent
Lucasfilm sues Gen Con

There's some big news that just came onto the radar: Lucasfilm is suing Gen Con over issues with Celebration IV! While the case is stamped January 10th, this is the first I've heard anything about it. You can read the full complaint but here are the allegations.

1. Gen Con failed to uphold its legal obligations in terms of financial reporting, accounting and payments to Lucasfilm ($500,000 in damages)
2. Gen Con did not give auction proceeds to Make-A-Wish as they had agreed to do ($150,000 in damages)
3. Gen Con did not give Lucasfilm their share of the auction proceeds ($150,000 in damages)
4. Gen Con did this all unjustly ($150,000 in damages)

The suit will take place in federal court in the Northern District of California. Beyond Gen Con, LLC (the company) with its employees and officers, Peter Adkinson is also mentioned in the complaint although without any personal accusations. This is pretty serious stuff, so we'll have to see what happens.

That's pretty sad that they stooped low enough to screw Make-A-Wish out of money. And I guess it's also safe to say that there's not going to be a Celebration V anytime soon.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Not good in any respect, least of all withholding make-a-wish funds.

If these allegations are true, its a very sad reflection on Gen Con.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
In relation to CV - surely there are other options? Gen Con can't be the only events company capable of running something like this?

Jedi Freezeman

Infiltrator
Darth Boru;78837 said:
In relation to CV - surely there are other options? Gen Con can't be the only events company capable of running something like this?

Sniff sniff ...Any entrepreneurs out there... I smell some money to be made... or lost if you're dumb enough to try and pull a fast one on Lucasfilm.

Jedi_Joel

Agent
Darth Boru;78837 said:
The only one I'd trust really is the one that runs the FX Show is because both Creation and Vulkon events are awful.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
If there are other options (and there seems to be), I'm sure LFL will look into them. Seems a shame not to have a CV, just because one events company apparently dropped the ball, especially with all new new stuff coming out soon.