Lucas to make more Star Wars?

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Star Wars creator George Lucas could be poised to make three sequels to the original space opera trilogy, according to insiders at Lucasfilm.

Employees at Lucas's company Industrial Light and Magic have all been made to sign non-disclosure agreements to promise not to talk about the possibility of episode's seven, eight and nine being made.

Now industry insiders are predicting the director will make the follow-ups, which pick up where 1983's Return of the Jedi left off, despite insisting he would never be lured into filming them.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
That's just someone reporting what some anonymous person supposedly emailed to TheForce.net. It's likely that it's either simple nonsense or part of the hype build-up for Episode III. I wouldn't put any real faith in it being true at this point.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I disagree. At this point the original cast is much too old. I'd rather any sequels have new actors that are the appropriate age.

Besides, they would need to find a new actor to play the star of the show - Thrawn. :)

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
I totally agree that the origianl cast are now too old to fit in with 7-9, but can you really imagine the great massesof fansaccepting ANYONE else in those roles?

For me it would stink.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Just had another thought though......

Taking it that the Timothy Zahn books would be the basisfor any further movies, maybe they could just move the timeframe.

Make it 30 years after ROTJ, then use the original cast. I know this changes the twins subplot, but pretty much everything else could remain. They could do something with the twins as young jedi (early 20's) under their uncles guidance.

Think about it.....the twins subplot is about the only thing that would need to be modifiied.

If they decided to make it this way, I for one would love it!

Jedi Freezeman

Infiltrator
It wouldn’t surprise me if Lucas actually completed the last 3 movies, even though his current position is that he won't. After all, he was never going to make I, II or III either.

I don’t remember the source, but Hasbro paid half a billion dollars for the Star Wars Master License. (This was back when decipher lost the license to make the Star Wars CCG to WOTC owned by Hasbro) This license was valid for 15 years. Look around at your local Target, Wal-Mart or wherever you shop… The figures from the summers block buster movies are already on clearance. I don’t think the hype from Episode III will propagate the franchise for an additional 10 years. Either they have something up their sleeves, or Hasbro is banking on the collectors carrying the market.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Darth Boru said:
Just had another thought though......

Taking it that the Timothy Zahn books would be the basisfor any further movies, maybe they could just move the timeframe.

Make it 30 years after ROTJ, then use the original cast. I know this changes the twins subplot, but pretty much everything else could remain. They could do something with the twins as young jedi (early 20's) under their uncles guidance.

Think about it.....the twins subplot is about the only thing that would need to be modifiied.

If they decided to make it this way, I for one would love it!
Ok, then what was Thrawn doing for those extra years? Just sitting around?

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Here are the ages of the original cast today:

Ford: 62
Fisher: 48
Hamill: 53

If a sequel trilogy started in 3 years (with a sequel every 3 years after that), add 9 years to those ages. Harrison Ford would be 71 by the time they were through. I can't imagine a 71 year old Han Solo running around kicking ass.

Billy Dee Williams is 67 this year. Mayhew is 60. Lawson is 57. The Mon Mothma actress is 71.

It'd be sweet to have the original cast, but I don't see how it can work with everyone getting so old.

Jedi_Joel

Agent
I shudder to think what Lucas will do to the third trilogy if he ever does do it. I mean he's butchering the OT already, and soon we'll have Prequel SEs, and then if he does the third trilogy, the Special Special Prequel editions will come out, and everything will no longer resemble the SW I grew up and loved as a kid.

I welcome the idea of a TV series, but keep Lucas away from controlling it the way he has with the OT. I'd prefer they do an all CGI series instead of live action, that way we don't have to worry about lame actors or anything. The Starship Troopers TV show will be the standard I'll hold the series to if they decided to do a CGI TV Series.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Maybe they'll go for a LOTR style of movie making. Do all the principle photggraphy in one go for all three. Its not like there's a lot of acting to be filmed in any of the movies! Releasing every three years is mainly to give the cgi guys time to do (and redo) stuff to the GL standard. That way the original actors will be just a little older than they are now. Maybe they're not up to bustin heads anymore, but hey, Yoda was a LOT older and nobody gave him any schtick! :)

Anyway, who knows, maybe Thrawn was caught in the eddies from a black hole or something and time ran differently for him.

I'm not saying its foolproof (or even that its sensible), I'm just saying I'd prefer a story line that allowed for the original cast to be involved somehow.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Jedi Freezeman said:
It wouldn’t surprise me if Lucas actually completed the last 3 movies, even though his current position is that he won't. After all, he was never going to make I, II or III either.

I don't think George Lucas ever said he would "never" make the prequels. In fact, the EU novel / comic / game writers were strictly ordered not to use that timeframe for their stories (there are a few exceptions) because George Lucas was / might be going to go back there someday.

This of course bring the whole problem of fitting a third Trilogy into the now established universe. George Lucas did allow those same writers to play in the timeframe after Episode VI, so it now becomes difficult for him to do anything without corrupting what's already been written (not that he hasn't done that before of course).

The other factor against a third Trilogy is that "Star Wars" as a movie saga (ignoring the "story of Anakin Skywalker" argument) is a sci-fi fairy tale: it starts with "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away ..." and basically ends with the "they all lived happily ever after" celebration.

Jedi 1073

New Recruit
Not only would the actors be to old but also want to much money for the movies to make a profit. I think the only actor who should return is luke as a jedi master, as he was the focus of the story anyway. Besides nothing says you have to tell the story of what happens right after ROTJ, the PT does not have the original cast why should the ST? Although it would be a much better movie if the OT cast came back for it.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I think any sequels should definately have the same characters as the OT. I just don't think any of the cast should be in it (except in very "background" cameos).

I think I've said before that I would be happy with the Zahn books made into a series of films. This would eliminate any need for George to write anything (including fart jokes).

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
IF Lucas does 7,8 & 9 and IF he directs them, they won't be the zahn books.

Lucas has shown that he has no problem walking all over the EU, so i don;t really see the problem there... he's changing his own movies, why would he hesistate to change the EU?

Zepp

Interstellar Buccaneer
Age-wise a movie that occurs after the NJO series would be workable. Although that would require somehow minimalizing the need for knowledge of the expanded universe while remaining compatible. I don't know, we'll see...

edit: spinoffs might be cool though...

edit: edit: what would ya'll think of a NJO TV series? maybe five seasons, going through the entire series while cutting here and adding there...

Stevetrooper

Galactic Groundpounder
I don't think Lucas would ever do Star Wars movies based on any EU stuff. SW is his baby, any new movie would be an all new story, whether it messes up EU continuity or not. As far as the original actors, I would totally want them. The movie would just have to take place far enough past ROTJ to reflect the age. Plus with the way movies can make people look so much better than they really look, you could even shave some time off that. Say, make it 15 years after ROTJ with Luke as a master..etc. You can add some younger characters as well of course. You always need new characters in new movies anyway. Alec Guiness was old, but he kicked ass. All different ages should be represented anyway. And I think the only actor that would be hard to get to return would be Harrison Ford. The rest would jump at the chance. (carrie Fischer would definately have to hit the treadmill though. :)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an attempt at horribly casting the sequel trilogy:

Han: Ben Affleck
Leia: Famke Jannsen
Luke: Owen Wilson
Lando: David Chappelle
Chewie: Shaquille O'Neal
C-3PO: Andy Dick

By the way, this is a joke.

don

New Recruit
AmShak said:
IF Lucas does 7,8 & 9 and IF he directs them, they won't be the zahn books.

Lucas has shown that he has no problem walking all over the EU, so i don;t really see the problem there... he's changing his own movies, why would he hesistate to change the EU?

I glad someone finally said something. Its just stupid to think GL would use EU characters like Thrawn, or the twins. No way in hell. And as far as walking all over the EU with new movies, Im sure GL would have no problem with it. I would, in fact, be surprised if he has read any of them. If changing the OT is so easy destroying EU that isnt "cannon" in the first place wouldnt need a second thought.