Imperial Uniform Color

What color is the imperial uniform worn by Tarkin and Motti?

• Total voters

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I copied AmShak's video capture into photoshop and took a sample from the middle of the officer's chest. I then took the sample color and told photoshop to desaturate it (which is to remove all color and make it greyscale). I put both samples side-by-side in the attached thumbnail.

It's definately a more neutral looking green, but I don't think you can deny that it is green.

Attachments

• greenverus.jpg
    greenverus.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 296

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Buzz Bumble;70362 said:
:D

I did try a banana-yellow version, but pink matches the "Hello Kitty Vader" in another topic.
That hello kitty vader still scares me.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
You would need a very carefully calibrated set of devices to really work it out (plus a definitive version of the movie itself rather than some 80th generation copy on VHS / DVD), and even then you won't get a real answer. I know that I've got a pair of trousers that look grey in some lighting and green in others ... it doesn't help that most males are colour-blind too. :)

It's probably an artifact caused by a combination of the lighting, the film stock quality, etc.

If you look at the Hasbro figures I think you'll find that they're all painted in a very battleship-grey shade with no green at all.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I'd love to see the face of someone who does a Google Image search for "Motti" and turns up that pink version - "What the {beep}!!" :D

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Buzz Bumble;70395 said:
I'd love to see the face of someone who does a Google Image search for "Motti" and turns up that pink version - "What the {beep}!!" :D
What would be even better is if Richard LeParmentier googles it and finds that image.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Maybe George Lucas will see the error of his ways and change the uniforms colours to pink in the "Super-Special Edition Complete Saga DVD Box Set" release next year. ;)

I've been looking through a few books trying to find where I read about the Empire being mostly monochrome. I can't find it, but most of the photos in the books do show shades of grey with only a couple having a faint greenish tinge to them.

Jedi Freezeman

Infiltrator
Pic from the comic 2 packs. Still looks Green to me ;)

At least there are others that saw it as green...

Attachments

• Green Tarkin.jpg
    Green Tarkin.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 278

Guttersnipe

New Recruit
I have always thought they were grey.
But there were many colour issues when the original was 'cleaned' for the laserdisc and even more so on the DVD version.
Another example:
Rebel Trooper (TantiveIV) Trousers - Grey or Brown?

Apparently when it was cleaned there was a saturation in colour or something which altered some colours.
There is a site somewhere where a fan who was not impressed by the colour saturation is doing his own version where he is cleaning the film frame by frame as should have been done in the first place and not the saturation shortcut.

I am a little sketchy on details so I apologise if any of the above is not completely accurate.

Stevetrooper

Galactic Groundpounder
They are grayish green. So are most of the action figures. George probably made it subtle because the empire wasn't supposed to be too colorful, but they were also supposed to look military, which green accomplishes. Thus the muted grayish green.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
The latest issue of the "Star Wars - The Official Figurine Collection" magazine to arrive in the post has a figurine of Grand Moff Tarking attached, and on the last page where they describe making the figurine it says ...
Tarkin's Imperial uniform, just like the rest of his officers', is a bluish grey colour. The only adornments are a simple belt, and the Imperial insignia on his chest.

Now, as any kid will tell you, blue and yellow make green, so perhaps the electric lighting in some photos, etc. is casting a slight yellow tinge onto everything making the "bluish grey" look "greenish grey". :)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
hmm..well...

I'm not going to argue about what color the uniforms were in real life (what they looked like on the set). My perception of the color is based on the way it appeared on multiple tv screens and the theater. Perception is reality...or something like that.