Imperial Uniform Color

What color is the imperial uniform worn by Tarkin and Motti?

• Total voters

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Motti.jpg

Barada

Saboteur
I have to say those pics sure make them look green, but I've always thought of them as grey.

Barada

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER
Tarkins costume in Rots was gray. I think the reason the uniforms looks green in the original trilogy is because the DVD's have been cleaned up and some of the colors looks strange.

RYAN J.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
They are definitely meant to be grey (or even gray).

George Lucas purposely made the Empire monochrome (black, white and gray) to give more of a contrast to the colourful Rebels (eg. their bright orange flight suits, ship / group colours). The EU of course created more colourful types of trooper uniforms for the Empire.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, isn't "gray" an americanized version of the proper english word "grey"? ;)

They've always looked to have a bit of green in them to me. Pure grey, to me, means that there isn't any "color" in there at all. It's faded black - basically.

For the record, Han's coat on Hoth is blue.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
perhaps grey does have some green in it and gray doesn't;)

a nuetral color ...oops, i mean colour ...would be more likely to reflect the color of the lighting or even something that might be reflecting the light torwards it. in that tarkin photo, you might be able to argue that tarkin's hair is a bit green and i'm pretty sure it isn't.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
The Motti and Tarkin photos look like the color is a little funky (those are just the first pics I googled). The Jerjerrod photo appears to have more accurate color. And *still* the uniform looks to have green in it.

Barada

Saboteur
Borsk said:
For the record, Han's coat on Hoth is blue.

In the film, he wore a blue coat.

In publicity stills (and costume tests), he modelled a brown coat.

That's where this issue comes up...

Ian

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Borsk said:
First of all, isn't "gray" an americanized version of the proper english word "grey"? ;)

You're right - I got them around the wrong way. :)

There's an auction house here and I visit their website every week, but you can get it using either spelling, so I often get confused which is the correct spelling.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Buzz Bumble said:
You're right - I got them around the wrong way. :)

There's an auction house here and I visit their website every week, but you can get it using either spelling, so I often get confused which is the correct spelling.
...just giving you a hard time. :)

more pics...

jj_ozzelpiett.jpg

Ozzel_Ep5_DVD.jpg