How do you keep your autographs?

Tommy1

New Recruit
Just wondering what's the best way/safest to keep the autographs in?

Any kinds of "special" stuff?

/Thanks in advance.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I keep most of my autographs in binders. I use Ultra-Pro card pages of various sizes (9, 6, 4, 3, 2, or 1-pocket pages). 1-pocket pages will hold 8X10s. Many comic book/sports card stores carry these or can order them. You can also order them online at places like ebay or mycomicshop.com.

Ultra-Pro pages are acid-free. You can also buy Avery clear pages at almost any retail store, for much cheaper than Ultra-Pro 1-pocket pages, but they are a less heavy duty page. Just make sure the package says they are acid-free.

In the case of 1-pocket pages, I also put an acid-free magazine backer board in with t he photos to make sure they do not bend. These are also available at comic shops or online.

It's also a good idea to keep your items out of the light. This will keep color photos from fading, and light colored paper from yellowing.

If you frame anything, it should use an acid-free matte. You should also make sure the item does not touch the glass if, particualrly if the item has a smooth surface (photo). I use some cheap frames where the glass pops out of the front. These are actually a big NO-NO....because the glass is in contact with the photo. If there is any moisture, the photo can stick to the glass...meaning you either have to leave the photo in the frame forever, or riskripping/damaging your photo as you try to remove it from the glass. This has happened to me...because a frame actually got wet (not from just humidity...although that is a risk).

Some people with large collections keep their cards and photos filed away in boxes of various sorts. The main rule is to keep your items in acid-free sleeves/pages/boxes, keep them clean, and keep them dark if at all possible. That said, I have numerous autographed photos hanging on the wall of my Star Wars room so I can enjoy them.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Yes, those should do the trick. I don't see where they say they are acid free....but all comic and magazine backers "should" be acid-free....the whole idea is to protect your paper goods. :p

I don't buy a particular brand...just whatever is available at the time. Magazine boards aren't used as often as comic boards..so sometimes they can be hard to track down in person at any particular comic shop. But...most shops should be happy to order them for you, as long as they don't have to place a minimum order (like 3 or 5 packages...if they know they'll only sell that one to you).

star_wars_fan

Infiltrator
I use pretty much the exact same approach as darthskellington. I've had some in the binders for 5 years now and have absolutely no issue with them fading, sticking, etc. Make sure they are acid-free!