Hoth Luke

Nightwing

New Recruit
I got this figure along with my Tarkin bust, and if you take away the hanging upside down feature, I would have to say that this is one of the worst figures I have seen in a loooong time :(

The face loks great, and I love the idea of the moveable head for when you turn him upside down, but apart from that, the figure has absolutely no articulation at all. It's like he's a POTF2 figure.

No elbow articulation, nothing in the legs- not even anything in the wrists! There is no posebility for when you stand him up properly, save a bit with the ball joints. Compare this with hoth Han and you'll see the difference.

Speaking of hoth Han...what's up with the lightsaber?! The one that came with Han is completley different than Luke's, yet they are supposed to be the same, no? Also, Luke's has a peg on it, like it is supposed to fit into his waist somewhere, but where does it go?

Lenny Fett

New Recruit
I think this the best Luke we've had in a long while personally.

The peg on the lightsaber is there for no reason. It was taken from the mold that came with POTJ Ben Kenobi. I just cut the peg off.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I'm going to have ot disagree with Nightwing here. True, Luke here doesn't have much extra articulation, but he was never supposed to. This figure was meant to do either of two things: Hang upside down as a cold cut, or lie face down in the snow mumbling incoherently about Ben and Dagobah. ;)

Where I think this figure stands out is in the incredible attention to detail on the whole sculpt. Every aspect of the clothing--boots, pants, coat, headgear--has every little stitch or seam carefully sculpted. The coat also has a minute fabric texture across it. Not only that, but the clothing is wrinkled in a realistic manner, and with very small wrinkles.

(Compare that to, say the POTF2 Hoth Luke, and you get large puffy sculpted clothing, and (albeit very detailed) wrinkles that are quite large. They look like someone thought there should be wrinkles there, and decided to force the issue. Granted, this figure was still recovering from the hulked out steroid figure days.)

Other improved details include belt and sculpted accessories (rank & ID badges, wrist comlink, pockets). On past figures, some of these details were sculpted really poorly, almost as if they were last minutes additions, and have very vague or sloppy sculpts. Now, they have as much detail as the rest of the figure. (Check out the two little belt clips to the right of the buckle!)

Other details: The holster loop is reminiscient of the vintage Han Solo Hoth figure (which incidentaly could hold his blaster). Purely nostalgia, but I like it. The neck articulation so his head can hang down is a welcome addition, and doesn't really detract from teh figure's appearance. The scarf that hangs down is a great idea taken from the previous POTF2 Wampa Luke, and still works here. This figure also features the more realistic "skirt-style" coat. (Again compromising poseablility for realism).

The Ball-jointed shoulders are both highlights and detriments to the figure. If you pose him in a standing position, the shoulders look a little awkward, as do most figures with such joints. However, they do allow for a nice range of poses when Luke is hanging (reaching for his saber, etc), or face down in the snow reaching for Ben.

Accesories: Lightsaber--nice, removable blade, but superfluous peg on hilt.
Goggles- Nice color, but overly large in comparison, they appear to be Chewbacca Mechanic goggles (can't get at mine now)
Base-- the base by itself isn't very exciting, but when attached to the Wampa's, you've got a start to a diorama.

:cool:

Nightwing

New Recruit
they are Chewie's. At least give him a pair that are his size! And what is Luke doing with Obi-Wan's Lightsaber?

I still think he could have had at least wrist articulation. If you look at his gloves, they look like they were meant to move.

Barada

Saboteur
Well, I don't have this figure, so I can't comment too much on it. I'd have to say though that if the gloves look like they should move but don't, it sounds to me like a stellar sculpting job.

I will bet there is more articulation here than the Clone Trooper army builders, for example ;)

Barada

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
Have to agree with Barada..I haven't obtained this fig yet either but from what i've seen , it looks pretty well done indeed....:)

Nightwing

New Recruit
Originally posted by Barada
I'd have to say though that if the gloves look like they should move but don't, it sounds to me like a stellar sculpting job.
That is not what I meant. They looked like they were going to articulated but ditched the idea at the at the last minute

Nightwing

New Recruit
and I ask yet again...what is Luke doing with Obi Wan's lightsaber? Are illusions becoming reality?

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I think you misunderstand. The POTJ Ben figure had the saber because it was Anakin's--the one he gave to Luke. Hence, instead of pulling it out of some trunk, this Ben figure had it clipped to his belt.

Obi-Wan's OT saber is shaped very simialrly to Luke's ROTJ saber. This Hoth Luke comes with a saber shaped in the Anakin/Vader style, albeit the hand=grip is a little oversized.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I knew I'd seen it before. Hoth Han's saber is a plastic version of the metal saber that came with Tatooine Ambush Anakin. That would explain why there are no buttons and details sculpted onto it--the metal version couldn't be molded like that.

Picture will be forthcoming. :p

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
test

Attachments

• sagahothluke.jpg
    sagahothluke.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 292

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
And there you have the figure in question, plus some reference sabers. I think they chose to go with Anakin's saber from POTJ Ben for this because the hilt WAS so big. It would stand out in the diorama, not fall through, and not be so easily lost.

I think they gave Han the Metal saber sculpt because it would easily fit into his hand. Go figure :p

As you can see, Luke's is identical to the one Ben has on his belt, with the exception of a hole in this one so you can insert a blade.

The next two, Han and Anakin's, are identical except for material.

The last two are also identical, save for one has a permanently attached blade.

Nightwing

New Recruit
Originally posted by darthskelington
I think they gave Han the Metal saber sculpt because it would easily fit into his hand. Go figure :p
remember that Han has the slashing action and holds it in both of his hands

I still think that they could've taken the peg off the lightsaber