Horror Stories

Barada

Saboteur
Hey, how about we all share some of the horror stories we've gone through while acquiring items for our collections.

I'll start with a rant on Canada Post. I won a 12-back luke on ebay for what was an amazing price, even though it broke me. When I went to pick it up, I was thrilled to find out that because the seller had been honest with the value of the toy on the shipping tag, I had a $50 customs fee attached that I had to pay before I could pick it up! :eek:

Another incident involving Canada Post concerned a time when I had bought a vintage carded Lando Skiff. The seller shipped it to me in a mailing envelope (if I had known about it earlier, I would have requested a box), and the mailman decided to make it fit into my mail box. We have those big steel street mailboxes with slots for each house, and those slots are very unforgiving. Now, even though the seller had marked fragile on the envelope, the mailman had FOLDED IT IN HALF to make it fit! Destroyed my figure :shocked:

I've got lots more. How about everyone else?

Barada

Deathstar

Visit vacation paradise!
Nightmares

First a commento on your post if I may.

Anything I ship to my cousins up north only has a value of $10-$15. Period!

Any seller who ships cards in a soft pack is a idiot seller and they probably still charge Priority shipping rates.....This has also happen to me!

My favorite rant is with a Ebay seller who advertised an R2d2 with Light Saber on the Right Side. You guessed it...when it arrived the Saber was on the left side. Seems the seller believes the Saber is on the right side since it is on the right side of the figure if looking from inside the blister. After several emails to the idiot trying to explain that a figure is always discribed from the viewers perspective he agreed to a refund. I returned the figure, he sent a check.....course the check bounced!
I am a forgiving person, but this one still sticks in my craw a bit!:flame:
Do have to add that I have had close to 100 positive transactions on The Bay and continue to use it for variants and rare stuff. :D

Talon

New Recruit
Well I have been extremely lucky when it comes to finding stuff. If I don't find it myself I usually have a friend who does.
So, I will share a horror story regarding my collection.

It was a dark and stormy night...it really was.
As a kid I was heavily into Star Wars. I had almost every Vintage piece that pertained to the 3 3/4" line. Everything was open since I was a kid and played with the stuff but I kept everything in great condition. I had all the weapons and I had multiples of figures.
In 1992 I was in Hurricane Andrew. We had no idea of the magnitude and destructive power this thing was packing. Since we were in an evacuation area we had to leave. Needless to say my home was destroyed and all my stuff, Star Wars and other wise, feel to the mercy of the looters.
That was the last I saw of all that stuff obviously. I had lost interest in Star Wars prior to that as I was a late teenager at the time of Andrew. Since then I have began collecting again and WISH I still had all that great stuff.
Sorry for rambling :sleep:

BanthaButt

New Recruit
That is the saddest thing I have ever heard Talon!!!
I have had good luck for the most part during my collection years until earlier this month.....I won a bid on Ebay on the 12" Aurra Sing Masterpeice Edition for $50 which was a great price. The Auction ended in August and I just got the peice in last week. Well, the lady(I'm Guessing) seemed to be very nice and would send religious quotes with every email. When I finally got the Item, I opened the box and immediately became angry. The front flap looked like a dog got the best of it, it was horrible. I opened the flap to look at the figure and it had been opened, all of Aurra's weapons were missing and her antennea was broken off of her head!!!! WHAT A BUMMER!!!! Well numerous emails later I still havent heard back from her and I suppose I never will. She had a good rating on ebay too, no negative feedback...until now!
Live and learn I gues..........
BB
P.S Anyone interested in a mint Aurra Sing 12" Masterpeice?
(just kidding!!!)

Talon

New Recruit
BB- that really stinks man!
That is the big fear whn it comes to E-Bay. It really sucks to win an item only to find out the item wasn't as described. I know this has happened to me a few times with loose, vintage figures and it pisses me off too.
Hope you have better luck on your future bids.